Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

Finny

Matter of opinion. One I don’t agree with but respect it. He’s a long way from being one of the best shots in a Devils jersey. He just isn’t my kind of player but my opinion counts for zip. There are plenty of players in this league that have his shot and are more mobile. There’s even Brits that have it. I don’t agree that they wouldn’t be in the UK if they could skate but we all see different things in different players.
Out of interest who would you say for the Devils has/had a better shot that Reid?

Midway through the season I asked when did we last have a sniper like Reid and the best we could come up with was Pelle. But I'd argue he's even better than him.

E.D.S.

Out of interest who would you say for the Devils has/had a better shot that Reid?

Midway through the season I asked when did we last have a sniper like Reid and the best we could come up with was Pelle. But I'd argue he's even better than him.
It’s a good challenge… rating someone who stands in a position waiting for a puck to land for a one timer isn’t really a role we’ve had the luxury to carry. Haddad not so long ago “in his kitchen” did it but also did so so much more. Agree on Pelle. Mark Smith had the same laser as well as speed and mobility that brought more to the team. Ian Cooper and Ruggles (with his golf swing) had quick and accurate releases.
Anyone I mention could be shot down by someone else. The point I’m making is that I don’t feel we’ve ever had such a one dimensional top line player. Bottom line, he just isn’t my cup of tea - doesn’t mean I think he’s rubbish or not good enough, clearly he is, he just isn’t someone I warm to in terms of style - but I don’t pick the team. If I picked the team I’d have a load of players who probably wouldn’t gel, would all be the same and wouldn’t win a thing. It’s a bit like when someone picks there best ever Premiership 11 that has Henry, Zola, Bergamp, Hazard, Shearer Gerard and Lampard etc. Be great to watch, probably wouldn’t win many games and definitely not the league.
DuPont has to think about style of play, the blend of the team, I just think about who I’d like to watch.
As I said at the start, If you don’t re-sign him then you have to find 30-40 goals from somewhere else. I’m really interested to see who he plays with, on what line and how that may change over the course of the season.

Rempel16

The point I’m making is that I don’t feel we’ve ever had such a one dimensional top line player. .
Jeff Pierce might argue with you there.... Haha.

What a waste of natural talent he was. Still remember Matzka being raging with him after the playoff final, where Matzka had put in his 110% and Pierce was going at 40%....

moggy#9

We've got 3 weeks until the Calgary summit. I'd be expect us to have a few announcements before then (Louis, remaining Brits), and at the summit big/new names. Until then I think I'll be struggling with how recruitment stacks up against DuPont's vision.

moggy#9

Only on the Inferno … we’ve got a proven Sniper, scored 39 goals last season (THIRTY NINE!) and some still aren’t happy :)
I'm not sure unhappy is the right way to categorise it. The gist is trying to work out how various players fit in with DuPont's published comments. I think that the point others have made is that totals don't always tell the full story. The question is whether Reid could be made even more dangerous, and difficult to cope with, alongside the right linemates.

E.D.S.

Only on the Inferno … we’ve got a proven Sniper, scored 39 goals last season (THIRTY NINE!) and some still aren’t happy :)
Agree with Moggy. No dissatisfaction here. Just curious to see how DuPont brings it together to reflect the style of play he wants to see and what he’s said so far about puck retention and size.

Wannabe2

Good job we dont all think alike, this place would be boring as hell it’s good that we have differences of opinions, and is good reading. Just a long time to wait now, too long really but it is what it is.

Rempel16

I like that there's some division over signings.

Not every player is going to meet the wants of every fan.

Take me for instance - my ideal lineup would be a team akin to the Broad Street Bullies.... If you shut us out in our barn then you can expect us to run your goalie in the last shift of the game.... The price of winning and all that...

That's tongue in cheek of course, but every fan is going to see a signing in a different way.

It's hard to argue that Reid was / wasn't a must for the re-signing list, because yes he scored nearly 40 goals, but once teams had him worked out those goals dried up, his last two months were significantly worse statistically than the first five.... And when the goals aren't firing then fans are naturally going to look at what else he brings to the line-up.

For me, I was 50-50 on him, but I must admit I am looking forward to seeing how many he gets with Joey dishing him the puck.

jenks33

Bailey Conger is following Coughler on Instagram now as well. So in the past week he’s started following The Devils, Franny and Coughler. Seems a bit random if he hasn’t signed for us

Interesting to see where he fits in. It says on eliteprospects he can play centre or wing. I can’t see him being the third line centre. Possibly a winger on the third line?

Last edited:

Devil94

Bailey Conger following Coughler on Instagram now as well. So in the past week he’s started following The Devils, Franny and Coughler. Seems a bit random if he hasn’t signed for us

Interesting to see where he fits in. It says on eliteprospects he can play centre or wing. I can’t see him being the third line centre. Possibly a winger on the third line?
Difficult to say from his stats what sort of player he is. Not many points, not many PIMs, doesn't seem to excel in one particular area. But definitely a 3rd or 4th line signing.
Doesn't look like an upgrade on Lammon to me if he's a centreman. The 2 other options are replacements for McNally or Brandt, and he doesn't look to be that sort of player either.

jenks33

Difficult to say from his stats what sort of player he is. Not many points, not many PIMs, doesn't seem to excel in one particular area. But definitely a 3rd or 4th line signing.
Doesn't look like an upgrade on Lammon to me if he's a centreman. The 2 other options are replacements for McNally or Brandt, and he doesn't look to be that sort of player either.
Difficult isn’t it. When you look at some of these 24/25 year old ECHL players it’s really tough to know what we’re getting or where they fit in. Let’s be honest their CV’s can look pretty bare at times. That’s not to say you’re not getting a good player, it’s just not the same as looking at the CV of a 30 year old player that’s got experience in North America and Europe, where you roughly know what you’re going to get.

Like you said he doesn’t look like a replacement for Brandt. His PIM’s don’t suggest he’s a physical player and if you look at his highlights on YouTube he looks like an offensive player.

If he has signed he certainly looks like one of those signings where you hope you’ve unearthed a hidden gem.

Devil94

Managed to find this quote from his new agent.

"Bailey has it all when it comes to being a two-way center in today's game. His size, speed, and skill form a wonderful combination that helps him excel in all three zones. His big game experience will certainly help him as he transitions to the professional ranks. We are thrilled to join Bailey in this journey. His knowledge of how to play the game on an olympic ice sheet will definitely allow him to be comfortable when the puck drops this Fall, in Europe."

Certainly looks that center is his position, and a Lammon replacement from that description.

That agent might be the link between us and Kansas City Mavericks. That could be Conger, Crawford, Brodie Reid and Taran Kozun signed from there in the last 2 years.

Finny

It’s a good challenge… rating someone who stands in a position waiting for a puck to land for a one timer isn’t really a role we’ve had the luxury to carry. Haddad not so long ago “in his kitchen” did it but also did so so much more. Agree on Pelle. Mark Smith had the same laser as well as speed and mobility that brought more to the team. Ian Cooper and Ruggles (with his golf swing) had quick and accurate releases.
Anyone I mention could be shot down by someone else. The point I’m making is that I don’t feel we’ve ever had such a one dimensional top line player. Bottom line, he just isn’t my cup of tea - doesn’t mean I think he’s rubbish or not good enough, clearly he is, he just isn’t someone I warm to in terms of style - but I don’t pick the team. If I picked the team I’d have a load of players who probably wouldn’t gel, would all be the same and wouldn’t win a thing. It’s a bit like when someone picks there best ever Premiership 11 that has Henry, Zola, Bergamp, Hazard, Shearer Gerard and Lampard etc. Be great to watch, probably wouldn’t win many games and definitely not the league.
DuPont has to think about style of play, the blend of the team, I just think about who I’d like to watch.
As I said at the start, If you don’t re-sign him then you have to find 30-40 goals from somewhere else. I’m really interested to see who he plays with, on what line and how that may change over the course of the season.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

You're certainly not the only person to have this view. Although I'd argue the skill he showed to score that great goal in the CC SF v Sheffield does prove he has more in his locker than just standing still and one timing it.

In recent years we've had lots of all-round players who can not only score but also contribute all over the ice. But each season we get the same comments that "we don't shoot enough".
Well here is a player that some suggest does nothing but shoot! :D