Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

moggy#9

Batch I can see but not sure why Duggan would want to leave?
Would it be his choice though. Let's say we were going for a netminding duo of bowns and preece. That would free up an import slot. The brit quota being reduced would free up another. Well, you can see where this is going...

Devil94

Preece left stars rumoured to another eihl team.

Maybe devils will have bowns and preece??
I would be happy with that. Preece has impressed me every time I've seen him. Facing a lot of rubber playing for Dundee too.

That would also mean an extra import every game and not wasting a spot opening the gate on the bench.

Gavevs88

To be honest I don't think that preece would be the way to go with netminders. We need a top tier goalie of the level of carruth or besky to get back to the top. Neither preece nor bowns are that.
100%, a tandem of Bowns and Preece would be a worse pairing than this season with Kozun, would be going backwards.

Finny

It’ll be interesting to see how we choose to use the extra import increase this season. It does give more flexibility for teams to sign an import netminder as backup.

I wouldn’t rule out the idea of a Bowns -Preece tandem completely though. Give Preece the CC games and if it turns out he isn’t there yet then you add an import netminder mid-season.
Meanwhile you now have 15 imports for your 18 forward spots.

And in my opinion it wasn’t netminding that let us down last year. It was our D and a lack of goals through 3 of the 4 lines.

moggy#9

It’ll be interesting to see how we choose to use the extra import increase this season. It does give more flexibility for teams to sign an import netminder as backup.

I wouldn’t rule out the idea of a Bowns -Preece tandem completely though. Give Preece the CC games and if it turns out he isn’t there yet then you add an import netminder mid-season.

And in my opinion it wasn’t netminding that let us down last year. It was our D and a lack of goals through 3 of the 4 lines.
While it's true that our defence was a problem, stop was the inconsistency of our goalies. I still maintain that we need a stud goalie who will give us a chance every night, no matter whether the rest of the team has an off night or not. Carruth have us that, and we need that level again.

moggy#9

What we will get though is Bowns #1 and a back up.
I think you're right and it's a problem. When bowns is under pressure he gets out of position and he sprawls and flubbs. That's why he ends up making a lot of spectacular saves. If we go with him as number one next season we'd better have a really good set if defensive defensemen to cover for him.

osh

15 imports for 18 forward spots - that’s 6 forward lines !

august04 2.0

The league title will be impossible to win with a Bowns-Preece tandem. End of.

Swarley

The two titles in recent times were with Bowns-Murdy… and I’d argue that the standard of the league has dropped since then.

It would be a long shot but not impossible.

I get that Bowns has been outstanding for the club in previous seasons but if we are gonna keep up with the likes of Belfast is next season staying with the old routine of use Bowns and a brit back up that never ices just feels like the club isn't willing to move with the times.

lloyd_jeff

The two titles in recent times were with Bowns-Murdy… and I’d argue that the standard of the league has dropped since then.

It would be a long shot but not impossible.
I‘d argue that had a lot to do with players in front of Bowns, than Bowns himself. I’m a fan of his, at that time he was a very good British player, top class, no, but he could’ve developed much stronger had he been mentored better, he got zero help from management. Was that choice Bowns or the club, i‘ve heard it was a bit of both sides decision.