Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2024/25

Ive seen Gleason a couple times in the heath area of Cardiff over the past 18mths, I believe his partner's family live there.
Ps not. A subway or roller blade in sight

Swarley

Wasn't he approached with an offfer end of last season and turned it down , due to a better offer from previous club.?
I think he said he wouldn't come back yet if his club got into the CHL again and they did so he stayed there, but he's currently without a club, would be great if this was his returning season for us though, I've missed his coast to coast antics and general awareness of the puck

The_Stick_

Only thing I would say is, how many players have left and then come back better players or even the same level? Can't think of one off the top of my head in the last 20 years, but could be wrong
Based purely off of stats, Bowns had his best season with us this year.

Though I would agree with what you’re saying. I personally think Fournier is worth the risk

kettdevil1

Mark Richardson?

He definitely counts, albeit with a helping hand from Nottingham who pushed him from F to D
Good call and I would add Ben Davies to the list as well.

The point is still a good one though, there are very few for whom the second go round the block is better than the first

Based purely off of stats, Bowns had his best season with us this year.

Though I would agree with what you’re saying. I personally think Fournier is worth the risk
Bowns probably did have his best season stat wise but then so did Jackson Whistle, how much of that had something to do with the declining standard of the league and the number of forwards that couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo!

kingmo19.1

After reading and contributing to this thread for many a year, one thing that has always spiked my curiosity but I’ve been slightly afraid to ask is ……….. who/what is the tin-foil man that is always the first post each year and is that also a cat that has a tinfoil helmet on ???????

Kevlar68

Fans have been mentioning stats but i find netminder stats a bit misleading compared to out players.

Out players stats are definitive. If you pass it's a pass then it's complete or incomplete. If you shoot then it's a shot then it's on target or off target also if in it's a goal. If your in a faceoff you either win it or lose it and then you have assists. all definitive.

With netminders saves stat it's not a definitive as many shots hit a netminder without them even knowing about it or where the puck is due to the speed of the puck and it's classed as a save when really the puck was shot at them and wasn't an attempt at a save.

moggy#9

Fans have been mentioning stats but i find netminder stats a bit misleading compared to out players.

Out players stats are definitive. If you pass it's a pass then it's complete or incomplete. If you shoot then it's a shot then it's on target or off target also if in it's a goal. If your in a faceoff you either win it or lose it and then you have assists. all definitive.

With netminders saves stat it's not a definitive as many shots hit a netminder without them even knowing about it or where the puck is due to the speed of the puck and it's classed as a save when really the puck was shot at them and wasn't an attempt at a save.
It could be argued that positioning is a massive part of netminding. If you get your positioning right then you vastly increase your chances of stopping a shot - even when you can't see it precisely. This is exactly what happens when dealing with tips and screens in front of the net. Clearly the result of good positioning is something that should be recognised in stats.

The big flaw in goalie stats is counting all SOGs as equal. How many times have we seen the devils clock up massive shoot totals, but they've been rubbish low danger attempts getting the outside?

Kevlar68

Good point but also we've seen passes across the netminder, netminder not positioned correctly but shot has been bunk and hit the side of the netminder or side of helmet but classed as a save or the netminder been sprawled out on floor with no awareness of where the puck is and shot has been along ice and hit the netminder instead of tipped over him that also classed as a save.

I just think goalie stats are the most flawed but there's no way to get exact definitive stats for a netminder because of genuine attempt or luck.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Good point but also we've seen passes across the netminder, netminder not positioned correctly but shot has been bunk and hit the side of the netminder or side of helmet but classed as a save or the netminder been sprawled out on floor with no awareness of where the puck is and shot has been along ice and hit the netminder instead of tipped over him that also classed as a save.

I just think goalie stats are the most flawed but there's no way to get exact definitive stats for a netminder because of genuine attempt or luck.
You could say exactly the same about certain skater stats. For instance a player would get credited with a goal if the puck just banks off him. Then, with assists, even if a pass doesn't directly contribute to a goal, an assist still gets credited.

No hockey stat is perfect, this is why there's such a range of them.