Rumours Thread

Huskie442 said:
and back to rumours....Sharp and Munn will not be at The Steelers, but Prpich could be (The Stir).
Of course if Prpich did go to the Steelers, that would either mean no Finnerty, or no Tait and 3 import D men. I don't see Matsos going for three import D men, so if they're talking to Prpich that suggests Finnerty won't be back for them.

For mine, I think this is just Westerdale/Simms picking up on the Prpich story news and filling column space. I'd like to see more solid evidence before we start thinking this move is possible.

Having said that, it would be superb for the rivalry!

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
Fair enough, but that's missing the point that Soundwave made earlier, we need to be attracting new fans to the sport and to do that we need to beef up, simple as.

London Racers went bust and Newcastle have vowed to get rid of the fighters as their crowds are dangerously low.

The Biggest attendence in the league is Nottingham who havent had a decent enforcer for some years, and probably have the lowest fighting majors in the league for most of the EIHL era.

There will be fighting because Brad often chooses to if someone either riles him or he thinks we need a jump to start the game, and i'm sure as hell certain that someone will cheese G off enough for him to flip :D

Past that i think we are going into the realm of staged fighting, which is never a good thing imo.

Soundwave1 said:
Finny said:
Rempel16 said:
Fair enough, but that's missing the point that Soundwave made earlier, we need to be attracting new fans to the sport and to do that we need to beef up, simple as.
What about new fans who might be turned off by the fighting.
Do they exist? :lol: You know I think a bit of market research on this would be a great idea.

Based on last season's evidence, Belfast's attendances improved after they signed Rushton (despite being a title challenger for most of the season)

Coventry's crowds have steadily reduced since Belak and Payette left.

Steelers' attendances are getting worse and worse despite being a dominant team in the league. Despite their success, Steelers (the big budget Hull) were incredibly boring to watch for most fans as evidenced by their crowd numbers.

I admit newcastle suggests the opposite, but they've gone too far IMO. There is a balance to be achieved here.

It's also no coincidence that the best atmosphere at the tent last year, usually came after a fight in the opening frame.

I personally have never met a new fan that was turned off by a fight. Most come hoping to see one. (And no that's not just the kind of people I hang out with :lol: )
Sorry, but rarely do I see such a poorly researched post that draws so many spurious connections.

Sheffield's average attendance rose by over 600 fans last season. Implying that Coventry's attendances have dropped because Payette and Belak aren't there any more is completely ignoring both the fact that last season they were losing a lot more games than they normally do and the fact that they had more fights last season than the season before. I could go on.

I'm not saying the theory is wrong, just that you'll have to put forward a much better argument than that.

Sheffield won the league and playoffs last year... Who did they have as fighters who were players too? Cruikshank halfway through the season and Sharp who was probably on NO money, and sat on the bench until something kicked off - they had gritty players, which I think could work for us.

If it's a player like Prpich who can stand up for us when needed fine imo.

ASHIPP

The importance of considering another power forward who can drop the gloves if neccessary, cannot be underestimated. I am not talking about an out and out enforcer - just someone who is a strong backup. Whilst fights can be entertaining and sometimes tactical moves, it wouldn't be a very tactical move for the Devils if the Vother was targeted virtually every game. We simply can't afford to have Brad or any of our 1st line or d unit serving frequent PIMs - it happened a lot last year and this is a nightmare if the team are weak in a pp situation, which the Devils were.
A player on the 3rd line who can put up a few points and drop the gloves is a good option because those key positions will not be compromised when he is serving PIMS.

ASHIPP

ASHIPP said:
The importance of considering another power forward who can drop the gloves if neccessary, cannot be underestimated. I am not talking about an out and out enforcer - just someone who is a strong backup. Whilst fights can be entertaining and sometimes tactical moves, it wouldn't be a very tactical move for the Devils if the Vother was targeted virtually every game. We simply can't afford to have Brad or any of our 1st line or d unit serving frequent PIMs - it happened a lot last year and this is a nightmare if the team are weak in a pp situation, which the Devils were.
A player on the 3rd line who can put up a few points and drop the gloves is a good option because those key positions will not be compromised when he is serving PIMS.

Incidently, I see Steelers fans are now discussing the possibility of Kozak wanting to join them now as well as Prps! I have to smile when these people think that every available half decent player can ONLY to be wanting to sign for Sheffield or Nottingham etc to the exclusion of all other teams!

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:

But who's going to be targetting Voth?

Coventry- Jason Robinson possibly, but to be honest G could handle him if needs be.

Belfast -Mcmorrow, past that they havent got a lot of muscle.

Nottingham- Bergin. Easy pickings for Vother, Bergin wont be one ot keep hassling him to drop the gloves.

Sheffield- Cruickshank. the only player i would have in the league thus far to replace brad. Unless Brad goes after one of the steelers then cruickshank wont target him.

Newcastle - No one thus far, wilson has said he is getting rid of the goons.

Hull - Adam Knight is their fiestiest looks nothing to trouble us at present.

Edinburgh - lord knows but not exactly historically known for it.

Thommo says in local rag that he's in talks with an experienced D man (Robinson i guess) and a free scoring forward.

I've been able to find out that forward will be new to the league and have people thinknig were sticking 2 fingers up at the wage cap :shock:

Gazza272

Tomahawk said:
Alot of rumours over on the cage forum saying that Koenig is off to Sheffield and Payette might be going to the Panthers :shock:

It was confirmed by Jamie Longmuir the Vipers GM that Nottingham have been in contact with Payette this off season.

osh

bigbaz said:
Thommo says in local rag that he's in talks with an experienced D man (Robinson i guess) and a free scoring forward.

I've been able to find out that forward will be new to the league and have people thinknig were sticking 2 fingers up at the wage cap :shock:

You don't need to stick 2 fingers up to a wage cap because a wage cap just doesn'y exist despite all the previous posts about what can and can't be spent ! In theory it's there, but in reality it is so easily overcome without contavening any rules !

Rempel16

samidevils said:
Sheffield won the league and playoffs last year... Who did they have as fighters who were players too? Cruikshank halfway through the season and Sharp who was probably on NO money, and sat on the bench until something kicked off - they had gritty players, which I think could work for us.

But sheffield were also the most boring team to watch (hence the decrease in the attendances even though they were giving tickets away).

Our games with them were only interesting because of the Voth affair.

I want the Devils to the league but I want to be entertained too, my interest would soon wane watching 'steeler style' hockey every week.

We've always been considered as the only european league with a n.american style, why some people on here seem to want 'euro' hockey is beyond. Its just dirty stickwork because the cheap shot artists know they won't get beat down for their antics.

osh

Rempel16 said:
samidevils said:

But sheffield were also the most boring team to watch (hence the decrease in the attendances even though they were giving tickets away).

I want the Devils to the league but I want to be entertained too, my interest would soon wane watching 'steeler style' hockey every week.

We've always been considered as the only european league with a n.american style, why some people on here seem to want 'euro' hockey is beyond. Its just dirty stickwork because the cheap shot artists know they won't get beat down for their antics.
Rubbish ! Will provide an answer when I calm down a bit !

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
[

I watched a few slovakian playoff games last season online and they were some of the most physical hockey games i have seen.

Do they exist? :lol: You know I think a bit of market research on this would be a great idea.

Based on last season's evidence, Belfast's attendances improved after they signed Rushton (despite being a title challenger for most of the season)

Coventry's crowds have steadily reduced since Belak and Payette left.

Steelers' attendances are getting worse and worse despite being a dominant team in the league. Despite their success, Steelers (the big budget Hull) were incredibly boring to watch for most fans as evidenced by their crowd numbers.

I admit newcastle suggests the opposite, but they've gone too far IMO. There is a balance to be achieved here.

It's also no coincidence that the best atmosphere at the tent last year, usually came after a fight in the opening frame.

I personally have never met a new fan that was turned off by a fight. Most come hoping to see one. (And no that's not just the kind of people I hang out with :lol: )[/quote]

Sorry, but rarely do I see such a poorly researched post that draws so many spurious connections.

Sheffield's average attendance rose by over 600 fans last season. Implying that Coventry's attendances have dropped because Payette and Belak aren't there any more is completely ignoring both the fact that last season they were losing a lot more games than they normally do and the fact that they had more fights last season than the season before. I could go on.

I'm not saying the theory is wrong, just that you'll have to put forward a much better argument than that.[/quote][/quote]

Perhaps you could be a little more polite next time....I feel like I've just taken a dagger to the heart. :lol:

I presume you're in possession of the official stats? I've based my post on the accounts I've read from Steelers fans which moan about attendances dropping. They also give away a lot of freebies so it depends on what you count as an attendance I guess, that's if the figure they provide is actually true anyway.

Coventry fans the same, mostly moaning that the games are boring, which I suppose they could overlook to a degree when they are winning.

There's a number of accounts that Belfast's attandances increased when Rushton arrived.

Nothing wrong with a bit of qualitative research from time to time, doesn't make it poor research.

I'm not one for staged fights all over the place, but lets not kid ourselves that fighting doesn't play a big part in getting the punters in the door first up.

It's a boarderline professional sport in the UK and needs to utilise its strengths to make head-way IMO.

i thought sheffields attendances went up this year, we had massive crowds for panthers matches and the only games that didn't have big attendances were at the end of the year when the league had been won and the trophy and medals awarded

osh

I didn't find Sheffield boring at all to be fair and I disagree that our games with them were only interesting because of the Voth affair. I am as keen to beat Sheffield as ever, but their game plan was successful and they ended up winning the league, I wish it had been us.

I want to be entertained every week, but certainly wasn't last season watching the Devils. I would certainly accept watching 'Steeler type hockey' each week if it brought trophies to Cardiff.

I've watched a lot of Eastern European hockey and it's as exciting as N.American hockey, and, at times can be as fiesty as anywhere. I wish we could pick up some good young Czech players that I have been watching over the years, shame we always go for imports mostly from N.America.

Rempel16

osh said:

I didn't find Sheffield boring at all to be fair and I disagree that our games with them were only interesting because of the Voth affair. I am as keen to beat Sheffield as ever, but their game plan was successful and they ended up winning the league, I wish it had been us.

I want to be entertained every week, but certainly wasn't last season watching the Devils. I would certainly accept watching 'Steeler type hockey' each week if it brought trophies to Cardiff.

I've watched a lot of Eastern European hockey and it's as exciting as N.American hockey, and, at times can be as fiesty as anywhere. I wish we could pick up some good young Czech players that I have been watching over the years, shame we always go for imports mostly from N.America.
Countless times I watched the steelers on sky and turned off because I was so bored. I used the Voth affair as what kicked off the excitement of playing the Steelers, effectively the games were pretty dull apart from the chippiness and there were no real scintilating goals, just effective shots over aubs shoulder that took 40odd minutes to gain space for.

Your opinion, which you are more than entitled to but there's a reason why their attendances waned even though they were winning. Unfortunately, steelers winning the league with that hockey style might be what kills British hockey in my opinion as teams will try to emulate them.

I'm sorry but the experiences of euro's in this league has done their reputation no good for me. Komarek, Magdosko, Petricko aside (who were willing to use their fists) the euro players come over, adopt dirty stick work and then disappear when an enforcer goes for a word.

See Pavel Gomenyuk when Doug Maciver came looking for him, Gomenyuk has also been thrown out of a game for kicking a player whilst over here. Marek Ivan not much better.

Rempel16

So following the absolutely awesome news that Smith has come back, who do people think the next top drawer signing is going to be? (as G said announced later this week).

Elich or Birbraer would do nicely.

Rempel16 said:
So following the absolutely awesome news that Smith has come back, who do people think the next top drawer signing is going to be? (as G said announced later this week).

Elich or Birbraer would do nicely.
Smith Birbraer Elich :eek:

Smith Sly Elich :D

Smith Sly Birbraer :D