Ryan Russell

osh

Just goes to show that the management actually listen to me !! :lol:
I said we needed a couple of new faces, and lo and behold, my wishes come true.
Well done Devils, a statement indeed.

matbur

Great news this one... great pedigree and he, along with Gleason Fournier, are a real statement of intent this season as some have said already.

What line do you guys think he'll play on??

SteveKing

I can't tell you guys how excited I am about this signing. Ryan left the Swedish Elite League after last season, looking for an NHL/AHL spot. At the age of 28, that's a tough thing to find these days. Through our connections here in Calgary, he approached us about this possibility just before Christmas even though he had declined offers from "higher" leagues earlier in the season. Seems that familiarity with us through his brother Kris was a factor in him signing.

Ryan will be an elite skater in our league. He will also be an elite defensive forward. What remains to be seen is how quickly his offense will come back to him. No doubt in my mind that he'll be an offensive weapon over time but he's been used in strictly a defensive role because of his skating for some time. While he's been skating and practicing all year, it will likely take some time for his game timing to catch up.

Now it's over to the Red Army to convince him to stay for next year too!!!

SteveKing said:
I can't tell you guys how excited I am about this signing. Ryan left the Swedish Elite League after last season, looking for an NHL/AHL spot. At the age of 28, that's a tough thing to find these days. Through our connections here in Calgary, he approached us about this possibility just before Christmas even though he had declined offers from "higher" leagues earlier in the season. Seems that familiarity with us through his brother Kris was a factor in him signing.

Ryan will be an elite skater in our league. He will also be an elite defensive forward. What remains to be seen is how quickly his offense will come back to him. No doubt in my mind that he'll be an offensive weapon over time but he's been used in strictly a defensive role because of his skating for some time. While he's been skating and practicing all year, it will likely take some time for his game timing to catch up.

It's hard to know what to say here. I was very pleased with signing Gleason Fournier, but this...this clearly sends a message to the rest of the league what the Cardiff Devils are about now!! Were the team that quality players will want to play for now. Those Nottingham players who whitnessed the team skating to the blue line together, then the anthem and then the Red Army creating hell for the opposition, they must have thought "I'm playing for the wrong #@$ing team"!!!!

Thank you Calgary 4!!!!!
:pickle

Milky

SteveKing said:

That's great Steve!!! What a difference having proper owners makes. We must be the envy of the league :Banana

Like you say I hope everyone gives him time to settle in and doesn't expect offensive magic from day one, that will come with time. What a brilliant signing for us and a massive statement of intent.

Life is good :D

We'll certainly do our best to make him feel welcome Steve, and we'll ensure he feels the love of the fans! With the new arena around the corner and the club only growing as well as the league. I'm hopeful he will remain!

Devil94

Thread starter #30
Thank you for the info and all your great work, Steve.

Now that he is here, will be interesting to see how Lordo will rotate with an extra forward. I do hope that Salters will sit out on Wednesday, unless he is 100%. Don't want that twinge to get any worse. With Russell's CV, you would imagine that a player of that quality would go straight in to the line up. But I'm struggling to figure out who misses out. Can't see the same happening as with Mychan last year. I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions, but it's a good problem for Lordo to have!

d20

Wannabe2 said:
mazza03 said:
WOW just WOW, this club is the dogs whatsits as Glyn would say, well pleased with this. :Banana :Banana :Banana :Banana
Mutts Nutts Maz.

PUPPIES PRIVATES !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

These owners really are first class we have had some great times since the beginning and some bad times in recent years but these least 2 years have been amazing and everything has been remarkable at the club the turnaround has been HUGE on and off the ice ,the owners have put the team out there and the fans have come back and supported ,the #CALGARY4 really are awesome .

ASHIPP

Wow. This player has an wealth of experience. If he comes with the same work ethic our other NHL experience players (Weller, Biz and now Tomas) we are in for a treat.

Welcome to Cardiff Ryan. Hope you enjoy your stay.

How fantastic that our Calgary Family are able to give Lordo and the team this additional support especially with the delayed recovery from injury of Tyson and Brent.

Yes there is a lot of envy and sarxasm out there from other clubs' fans. Guess they are forgetting all those years when the Devils limped on short-handed without reinforcements
and how our Club was laughed at by others in the League the the two years before the takeover. They need to get over it.

wildthing74

Fantastic signing and it's also helped bring happy Wannabe back. I missed that guy last week when the world was coming to an end. Bonus we've really put some noses out of joint among the EIHL fanbases.Feels good to be disliked again shows we are doing things that others wished they were just like the old days.

matbur

SteveKing said:

Steve, it's great to see the team making such additions and being well-backed by the likes of yourself. I've only started following the Devils closely the last couple of months (not because of recent results but because I've really caught the NHL bug this season) and to see the club going in the direction it is is fantastic.

It's great for the long-term supporters who've been through the mill it seems in backing the Devils over the years and for Welsh sport. Thank you.

Devil94

Thread starter #38
Didn't train today so first time on the ice with his teammates will be in tomorrow's game! Hopefully, if his hockey back turns up...

Wow!!!!! I admit I saw the post earlier but didn't read it. Wasn't expecting another signing so soon after Gleason but what a signing!!!! The legend of the Devils, the BBT and our remarkable management team is growing to every corner of the hockey world. Has Patrick Kane signed a new contract with the Blackhawks yet???

Croeso i Gaerdydd Ryan!!!

Diolch yn fawr Steve, Brian, Kelly, Craig, Todd, Lordo, Franny..........

RED ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slartibartfast