Season Wrap-up

moggy#9

The wage cap will always be exploited by teams that have the funds to do so, unless the league grows a pair are strips titles, points when teams are caught breaking the rules and issues heafty fines nothing will ever change.
That's not going to happen without independent leadership of the league. A similar thing goes for a variety of other reforms that the league so desperately needs.

lloyd_jeff

The lack of transparency means it could be very murky, what’s preventing these agreements extending, how do we know the legitimacy of league titles, game results, officiating etc. I understand the logic of the Devils Club not wanting to break agreements, no clubs though appear to be willing to deal with those who appear to be breaking rules, so are there rules. At this point no, it’s an agreement that justifies keeping the top clubs at the top and the others happy to plod along every yr. Maybe one a smaller club won’t suddenly loose form, go on to win a title. You never know with this inconsistent sport.

Gisland

I’m the opposite on this. I’m glad that we are going to stick to the morals and respect an agreement in place. It ensures that the ‘lesser’ teams can compete.

If the Giante want to make a mockery of that then so be it. They were outstanding post-Christmas but their achievements are tainted by spending and the volume of changes (Keefe is being lauded but it shows just how badly wrong he got it at the outset).

Sticking to the wage cap is fine with me.

The leading man is online.. Ask the direct question...

Wait.

Steve, can you please, once and for all, give some perspective on the issue so extensively talked about: The Giants. Please can a person of interest be direct in some direction as to how the GIANTS behaved, cos every time the Giants Org is mentioned, people pile in with accusations?

Did the Giants break rules currently in place for the past season. If so, should it have resulted in points deduction, fines, etc.

Did the other club owners / coaches know what was going on and allow it happen?

Many thanks in advance

moggy#9

As I alluded to in a previous post, it wouldn't be appropriate for Mr king to comment directly on the giants and what they may or may not have done. It would be massively dangerous politically and legally. I think it's hugely unfair to put him in that position.

While he might be inclined to say something vague along the lines of "we're always looking to improve the running and security of the league", certain things must, at least initially, be pursued behind closed doors. I would hope, at the appropriate time, the air would be cleared and any suspicions dispelled though.

lloyd_jeff

Any comment can‘t be illegal if it is factually correct, it should be a straight forward answer, if the rule is written in a legally binding contract that binds all into it, stating that it exists and is agreed by all clubs isn’t illegal. That is all that is required, clarification, such as, “the contract exists and Belfast have followed the rules therefore no action is required“ or the rule exists and the EIHL governing body will make a statement as and when its approprite.

moggy#9

Any comment can‘t be illegal if it is factually correct, it should be a straight forward answer, if the rule is written in a legally binding contract that binds all into it, stating that it exists and is agreed by all clubs isn’t illegal. That is all that is required, clarification, such as, “the contract exists and Belfast have followed the rules therefore no action is required“ or the rule exists and the EIHL governing body will make a statement as and when its approprite.
And you don't think that the owner of one club breaking ranks and making an unsanctioned comment would be politically dangerous?

Devils86

Also, just as a throwaway point, as one of the owners of a rival club Mr King won't be privy to the finances etc of the Giants. The league will have to have received documents or declarations or something, but those won't be sent to the Devils.

So I don't think he can answer the question. Poor fella only came on to give the forum the update we have been craving for ages.

The position on the Giants' spending and imports is moot now - they won everything this year. They can celebrate whilst the rest of us think of it as having been tainted or having an asterisk... but it's not going to change anything. It's just a thing to throw between fanbases.

Diablo3

Sorry guys but what makes you think you are entitled to any of that information from any club? The Giants may have more leeway with players and still stay within the cap as they are run as a charity. But how each club is financially run is tbh none of our business. So long as they all stay in business so we have a league to go and watch and I will be happy.

Devils86

Sorry guys but what makes you think you are entitled to any of that information from any club? The Giants may have more leeway with players and still stay within the cap as they are run as a charity. But how each club is financially run is tbh none of our business. So long as they all stay in business so we have a league to go and watch and I will be happy.
Not sure anyone genuinely thinks that commercial information would be shared in public. BUT what would be nice would be to have faith in the league that they know what the position was with the Giants and the cap; and if they breached that or other rules that they would take some form of action...

The problem is: nobody has that faith in the league.

That's the issue.

moggy#9

Not sure anyone genuinely thinks that commercial information would be shared in public. BUT what would be nice would be to have faith in the league that they know what the position was with the Giants and the cap; and if they breached that or other rules that they would take some form of action...

The problem is: nobody has that faith in the league.

That's the issue.
Agreed. We don't need to know financials, just that every team has been audited for compliance to a clear and published set of rules. Transparency is one area where this league repeatedly falls down.

lloyd_jeff

And you don't think that the owner of one club breaking ranks and making an unsanctioned comment would be politically dangerous?
In the context of all clubs, it would be politically dangerous if the collective are intentionally breaking the rules that, in contradiction of the public information. If the comment was a simple clarification that they all agreed to, l don’t see why if it’s all legitimate and legal. By simply stating the Devils have and always will abide by this rule, they’re complicit by association.

lloyd_jeff

What makes us entitled, well, the law for a start. Would any fan be happy to continue paying to watch a competitive sport knowing the outcome is predetermined by those in charge, that one or two teams are free to increase player budget and therefore gain an advantage.
Transparency, is that deliberate, we’ve all seen sport be manipulated, if it can happen in more mainstream sports with pretty stringent standards, it can certainly happen in U.K. ice hockey. I’m not saying the sport or any owners are corrupt, what im saying is it certainly does raise questions as to why it’s not clarified.
As for Commercial Information, all companies have to make their financial details publicly available. It’s how businesses can protect themselves, for instance, there is a U.K. business selling North American sports clothing, including NHL merchandise that has a creditors debt totalling £168,000 due this yr and has stated in their last audited accounts that the viability of the business going into 2024 is highly unlikely. I mention this because l was mocked for looking at Companies House financial info on a club, thing is, checking on the viability of Companies in professional life is what hundreds of thousands do every hr of every day, you do know how stocks and shares work. As an Investment Banker Steve certainly does.