Shirt Auction - Where has the Poppy Appeal Money Gone?

Thread starter #1
i only caught the words shirt auction in an announcement made the other day vs belfast did anybody catch what it was for? im guessing were having halloween jerseys?

Re: shirt auction

Im guessing that they will be prob be rhino like previous years event eg st davids day, xmas. I think ch's turnaround is a lot longer than rhino (plus rhino jerseys are cheaper to produce), obviously with rhino's screen print, whereas ch's are material made and sewn which does take time, plus shipping time. Considering rememberence is about 4 weeks away and if the club haven't already done a order with ch to get them here well in time, then my guess would be rhino, but i like to be proven wrong. Personally i much prefer ch to rhino as the quality is a 1,000,000 times better with ch.

Skippy

Will be intresting to see what they will look like ?

Anyone seen anything as yet and care to shed some light ?

James

Administrator

Any further news on this? Whys? wherefores? CH? Rhino?

The poppy appeal is an excellent cause. Top marks to the Devils for supporting it.

Chris

Administrator

Definitely a good cause to support, considering the standing ovation the serving guys received when they turned up last season, this should raise an awful lot of money for the poppy appeal.

I'd heard the jerseys were CH (yay) but still not seen anything.

Hopefully handing over the cheque or something will make it into the Echo or something, a pretty good gesture by the club.

Chris.

Kipper

Is the money raised from the shirt auction going to the club or the Poppy Appeal?

Big up by the way for Cardiff Devils Off Ice Official Mike Dixon who runs the Sea Cadets locally and is responsible for their presence at the rink selling poppies etc. for such a great cause. The young cadets are a credit to Mike and the organisation.

Chris

Administrator

Is the money raised from the shirt auction going to the club or the Poppy Appeal?
I'd like to think it's going to the Poppy Appeal myself, if you're going to raise money off Remembrance Day, surely the money should go to the Royal British Legion?

Chris.

Anyone know anything official on this? I assumed they would be.

I would too hope that money from the shirts would be going to the appeal. Here's to hoping!!

Kipper

I don't collect shirts but coming from a military family I might bid for one if they're going towards the Poppy Appeal. Crispy's is bound to be cheap enough ;)

rolf

aye and being a netminder's it may just fit too kipper, as long as you don't plan on breathing....ooooerrr only joking

Chris said:
I'd like to think it's going to the Poppy Appeal myself, if you're going to raise money off Remembrance Day, surely the money should go to the Royal British Legion?

Chris.
'Our own registered Charity, the Devils Community Foundation, will be holding a jersey auction in the bar following the game, where fans will be able to get their hands on one of these unique jerseys whilst also supporting the DCF in it's great work in the South Wales community with valuable funds.

The Devils will also be giving all of the proceeds of this week's Shirt off his back to the appeal fund, meaning that even if you only have £1 to spare, you can support the campaign and maybe win yourself a great Devils jersey in the process.'

That’s me out then if all the money isn’t going to the poppy appeal :x

How can you make money off the back of Remembrance Day /poppy appeal then dont give them all the money raised, or at least the profits raised. Yes they will get the Shirt off his back money which will probably amount to £400 - £600 whoopee do when the auction will raise £1000's.

I lost 2 very close mates from my squadron in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan a few years back and I did 22 years in the Military myself, thought a charitable poppy appeal jersey was a fitting gesture to our fallen comrades.

Don't wrap this up for something it isn't, should have done a Halloween jersey if money was going to the DCF and not the poppy appeal.

Sad day for the Devils Org and whoever thought this idea up. Bang Bang out of order.

Have to agree I think that is terrible, can you imagine there being a breast cancer shirt and the money not going to the chariry?

Armistice Day isn't an 'occassion' like Halloween or Bonfire Night, it is to remember those who have fought and fallen for our country. To try and make money out of this is disgusting.

The club should be ashamed by this.

We will remember them...not we will profit from them.

Chris

Administrator

I'm with Derby Devil on this...

How can you make money out of Remembrance Day and then not even give it to the charity involved?!

The DCF is good, but I can't see how it can be the recipient of monies raised. Surely if you use the poppy as some sort of advertising tool, the money should go to the Royal British Legion?

It's almost like raising money by having a pink shirt for Cancer Research and then giving the money raised to other charities, what the hell!?

Pretty awful decision methinks, and whole post quoted underneath for reference...

Chris.
Devils remembrance Sunday update

The Devils will be wearing special jerseys this Sunday and the club will be supporting the Poppy appeal with a special SOHB

This Sunday we tribute to those who made tremendous sacrifice defending the nation.

We will observe a minute's silence at the game prior to faceoff, and the Devils will wear a one-off "remember" jersey, produced by CH sports, in honour of the occasion. These black jerseys feature the powerful poppy image, a Welsh Dragon and the slogan "we will remember them". They are a very special piece of Devils memorabilia and will mark the occasion perfectly.

In support of the campaign, which only gives the Royal British Legion 3 weeks per year to sell poppies, members of the Sea Cadets have been selling poppies at the arena for the last few home games, and have provided an "honour guard" on the carpet for presentations.

The Cadets will be on parade this Sunday in Cardiff and we will be showing images of the remembrance day parades on Devils TV during the silence and prior to the game.

We urge all Devils and Giants fans to support the campaign and wear your poppies with pride on Sunday for a truly worthy cause.

Our own registered Charity, the Devils Community Foundation, will be holding a jersey auction in the bar following the game, where fans will be able to get their hands on one of these unique jerseys whilst also supporting the DCF in it's great work in the South Wales community with valuable funds.

The Devils will also be giving all of the proceeds of this week's Shirt off his back to the appeal fund, meaning that even if you only have £1 to spare, you can support the campaign and maybe win yourself a great Devils jersey in the process.

We look forward to seeing you there on Sunday.

Have to agree with the last few comments. The poppy appeal is a fantastic cause and using their logo and what it represents is a nice idea but all the proceeds from the shirts should be going there. Hopefully the powers that be are reading this and all the money will go to the poppy appeal. I'm sure it wasn't a deliberate decision to snub them but the poppy appeal is only able to raise funds for a few weeks a year whereas I'm sure the DCF will be well supported for the rest of the season.