Signing an NHLer a no brainer???

voth26

clearly there are people for signing a current nhl'er and people against dont know the answer but something has to be done urgently to get this team playing like we know they can and more importantly how they SHOULD be playing starting with the panthers, we need us fans to keep faith with the guys and i know thats a big ask at the moment, after all we are the devils family

Finny

Chris said:
Jeff Mason has been released by Lillehammer
I have no idea how that fits in with anything from this thread?

He's never played a game in the NHL or AHL. No one has mentioned bringing in an echl or ex-belfast player?
To be fair, I noticed his release on EliteProspects and instantly thought "he would be ideal for us".
IIRC there were also rumours linking us with him this/last summer?

ASHIPP

Finny said:
Chris said:
Jeff Mason has been released by Lillehammer
I have no idea how that fits in with anything from this thread?

He's never played a game in the NHL or AHL. No one has mentioned bringing in an echl or ex-belfast player?
To be fair, I noticed his release on EliteProspects and instantly thought "he would be ideal for us".
IIRC there were also rumours linking us with him this/last summer?
We may have been linked to him previously....but he chose to go to Norway.

One of the best defencemen in our league over last two seasons. No link with him now...he'll be destined elsewhere.

ASHIPP

Simmsey tweets that a team will be announcing player signing tomorrow...he doesnt think its a big one judging by his clues.

osh

ASHIPP said:
Paul is always the voice of reason when panic hits the forum! ......But he is right. Whether the fantastic attendance at the Skydome was down to the NHLer debuing, or because the Panthers were in town, or because Blaze are playing well at the mo......SOMETHING is working. #enviable.

Have to disagree with you Ashipp. With respect to Paul, he's not always the voice of reason. And I happen to think that he has quite a few things definitely wrong in his previous post.

Haven't got time to list them just now, but will do so tomorrow am!

osh

Paul Sullivan said:
What I find interesting about this season is the fact it really is unpredictable and to me that would be a reason for perhaps more caution than less in terms of roster movement. More caution ? How long do we persevere with players not performimg anywhere near their hyped up abilities ? We need to stiffen our D and gas at least one D man.

Belfast have granted done well against us (and in general) but look at the last couple of outings:
We Beat Sheffield
Fife Beat Sheffield
Belfast beat us
Sheffield beat Belfast. So what? Those sort of results are par for the course at any stage of any season. I'm not bothered about how Fife or other teams perform. I worry about how we are doing and its not very impressive at all
Whilst the big guys will always have more money, this season things are more up in the air on any given night than I can remember since the ISL days. If this kept up I wouldn't be surprised to see a previously unfancied Northern conference team decide the League on the last day of the season. The league will be settled a good few weeks before the last day of the season imo.

Which is a roundabout way of saying I don't so much think it's Devils being bad, as everyone else being that little bit better, coupled with our own (severely heightened) expectations this season. I think all the Devils fans expected and anticipated more from this roster than any in the EIHL era, for sure. You don't think the Devil's are being bad ? You've been watching different games to me then Paul. Most Devil's fans anticipated a hard hitting, gritty, in your face Devils team this season, we are certainly not seeing that on a regular basis. Apart from a few players who are performimg very well, we have a team of under performers who don't seem willing to defend their team mates when in a physical battle and we are being bullied all over the ice. Lets also give credit therefore to other teams who have definately recruited better than us, that's down to Franny and G I hasten to add ( or maybe better motivators than us perhaps)

However, 2,800+ in Coventry for a non season ticket game for a guy nowhere near the 'name' of Drew Miller is a highly convincing fiscal argument to getting an NHL player over, were the right one available. I am just glad I wouldn't have to be the one to either tell G to stand on the bench or another Devil to go home. I agree that new NHL players has had immediate effect on fan numbers at Coventry and strengthened their team, something we should be doing ourselves. How do we do it? We gas one or two players and bring at least one NHL player in who will put bums on seats. No need for G to bench himself, he just needs to tell certain players that they aren't good enough, that's part of his job after all.

At the end of the day it comes down to the Golden rule: The one with all the gold makes the rules. It's not our money we would be spending to make this happen and for all the possible/probable uplifts in attendance it's still not a guaranteed fact that we would get another 400+ a game through the door. True, Paul Ragan spends the money on players that our coach thinks will do a good job for the club, and for his input he is not getting his money's worth. I feel sure he won't settle for mediocre performing players for too much longer. Who is saying we need another 400 plus through the door in oprder to get a an NHLer in? Are you saying we need another £5000 a week to get such a player in? Gas at least one of our present roster ( it sends out a message that if you don't perform, you're out) bring in someone else using that salary. Its already being confirmed that NHL players aren't asking for the earth to play here, some even paying their own insurances just to play and keep fit!

I have complete faith in G and Franny. I'm fairly sure they will be the least happy of any Devils folk right now...
Well, being closer to them than most Paul, it would be difficult for you to say anything else really and I'm sure you are honest in your opinion. Sadly, I don't have complete faith in G or Franny. Not being as close as you to the team allows me to also give my honest opinion, so, from another point of view, the coaching team pick the players, they employ the tactics to be used in games (Defence, Offence, PP and PK etc) they motivate the players and they get them to a level of fitness that ensures they compete at their best. I think our roster is a big disappointment, our tactics are not up to scratch, I don't see the determination from our players that we have seen in past seasons, some players are just going through the motions and not playing for the badge on the front of the shirt, we seem to accept being bullied by other teams, and certain players just do not seem capable of getting through a game at an acceptable level of fitness, who's to blame I wonder, not me for sure !!

Like Kane Devils says, if things stay the same as they are I think the season will only get worse, fan numbers will decrease not increase and it surely is time now to make those tough decisions.

AHHHHHH Too many reasoned opinions!! I thought this was the Inferno? :lol:

I'm on the fence about this as an NHLer in my opinion would get people through the gates and step up our game but them leaving would also unsettle an already underperforming team.

danhall76 said:
AHHHHHH Too many reasoned opinions!! I thought this was the Inferno? :lol:

I'm on the fence about this as an NHLer in my opinion would get people through the gates and step up our game but them leaving would also unsettle an already underperforming team.
If the lockout is over by the time the Winter Classic rolls around every team will be in the same boat. Hopefully we wouldn't be an underperforming team by then. Crowds will have hopefully increased and the interest generated could see numbers stay high until the end of the season. There is a chance that a bona-fide NHLer could achieve all sorts, there is also a chance that one could make no difference at all. Unfortunately, I don't think the club is in a position to bring one in if they wanted to.

Beleskey has made a massive difference and he has only been in the country 5 days.

Apparently at least two of the Ducks players were watching him on the Blaze webcast. There is some interest being generated on the Ananheim Ducks fans forum.

People are talking about next weekend already. We had neutral fans turning up on Sunday night to watch the game

It will be interesting to see if the Devils gates increase when Breahead and Blaze turn up at the Blue Tent. That might give you your answer...

ASHIPP

Plenty of NHL players looking to come to Europe.....attracting them here is the issue.

Unfortunately there are two major issues that need addressing and fast....a team not performing to potential/expectation (this has been acknowledged by the coaching staff) and attendances at BBT not up to par. To armchair coaches the answer is simple.....put out a competitive team and this will attract crowds.

However that happens is under their control but unless some difficult decisions are made soon the team and club will have a long and uncomfortable season. I really dont think this is what PR envisages as he and the Club prepare to move to a stunning new home.

There is only so long before time is short in certain competitions. There is surely only so long
a team can carry passengers. Sheffield and Hull have lead the way in releasing underperformers.....and will be stronger for it. Time for action?

voth26

osh said:
Paul Sullivan said:
What I find interesting about this season is the fact it really is unpredictable and to me that would be a reason for perhaps more caution than less in terms of roster movement. More caution ? How long do we persevere with players not performimg anywhere near their hyped up abilities ? We need to stiffen our D and gas at least one D man.

Belfast have granted done well against us (and in general) but look at the last couple of outings:
We Beat Sheffield
Fife Beat Sheffield
Belfast beat us
Sheffield beat Belfast. So what? Those sort of results are par for the course at any stage of any season. I'm not bothered about how Fife or other teams perform. I worry about how we are doing and its not very impressive at all
Whilst the big guys will always have more money, this season things are more up in the air on any given night than I can remember since the ISL days. If this kept up I wouldn't be surprised to see a previously unfancied Northern conference team decide the League on the last day of the season. The league will be settled a good few weeks before the last day of the season imo.

Which is a roundabout way of saying I don't so much think it's Devils being bad, as everyone else being that little bit better, coupled with our own (severely heightened) expectations this season. I think all the Devils fans expected and anticipated more from this roster than any in the EIHL era, for sure. You don't think the Devil's are being bad ? You've been watching different games to me then Paul. Most Devil's fans anticipated a hard hitting, gritty, in your face Devils team this season, we are certainly not seeing that on a regular basis. Apart from a few players who are performimg very well, we have a team of under performers who don't seem willing to defend their team mates when in a physical battle and we are being bullied all over the ice. Lets also give credit therefore to other teams who have definately recruited better than us, that's down to Franny and G I hasten to add ( or maybe better motivators than us perhaps)

However, 2,800+ in Coventry for a non season ticket game for a guy nowhere near the 'name' of Drew Miller is a highly convincing fiscal argument to getting an NHL player over, were the right one available. I am just glad I wouldn't have to be the one to either tell G to stand on the bench or another Devil to go home. I agree that new NHL players has had immediate effect on fan numbers at Coventry and strengthened their team, something we should be doing ourselves. How do we do it? We gas one or two players and bring at least one NHL player in who will put bums on seats. No need for G to bench himself, he just needs to tell certain players that they aren't good enough, that's part of his job after all.

At the end of the day it comes down to the Golden rule: The one with all the gold makes the rules. It's not our money we would be spending to make this happen and for all the possible/probable uplifts in attendance it's still not a guaranteed fact that we would get another 400+ a game through the door. True, Paul Ragan spends the money on players that our coach thinks will do a good job for the club, and for his input he is not getting his money's worth. I feel sure he won't settle for mediocre performing players for too much longer. Who is saying we need another 400 plus through the door in oprder to get a an NHLer in? Are you saying we need another £5000 a week to get such a player in? Gas at least one of our present roster ( it sends out a message that if you don't perform, you're out) bring in someone else using that salary. Its already being confirmed that NHL players aren't asking for the earth to play here, some even paying their own insurances just to play and keep fit!

I have complete faith in G and Franny. I'm fairly sure they will be the least happy of any Devils folk right now...
Well, being closer to them than most Paul, it would be difficult for you to say anything else really and I'm sure you are honest in your opinion. Sadly, I don't have complete faith in G or Franny. Not being as close as you to the team allows me to also give my honest opinion, so, from another point of view, the coaching team pick the players, they employ the tactics to be used in games (Defence, Offence, PP and PK etc) they motivate the players and they get them to a level of fitness that ensures they compete at their best. I think our roster is a big disappointment, our tactics are not up to scratch, I don't see the determination from our players that we have seen in past seasons, some players are just going through the motions and not playing for the badge on the front of the shirt, we seem to accept being bullied by other teams, and certain players just do not seem capable of getting through a game at an acceptable level of fitness, who's to blame I wonder, not me for sure !!

Like Kane Devils says, if things stay the same as they are I think the season will only get worse, fan numbers will decrease not increase and it surely is time now to make those tough decisions.
Osh not often we agree on things but have to say your spot on with this post, there are for me about 3 players who should be looking over their shoulder expecting to get a call into G's office for a closed door conversation

Paul Sullivan

Osh, you could have saved yourself so much time of you just posted 'Sack the Coaches and some players' :cool:

It's interesting how you can actually think you can correct an opinion, as opposed to merely listing a different or opposing one. But it's good to know we have a barometer at the Devils to measure all of our thoughts and opinions on. Phew.

You make some valid points also, however where I totally lose you is that you are analysing the performances of the team whilst simultaneously dismissing all other results fro all other teams. Surely the only measure of how any team performs is within the context of its own competition?

So how could you possibly assess the Devils and discard other results? Thats the part that makes no sense to me. You are totally unprepared to give any credit for how we play to our opposition then? Wow. Were you expecting us to be so dominant that it didn't matter who anyone else signed or who we played on any given night? I knew expectations were high but I never expected anything that lofty.

FWIW I haven't spoken to either G or Franny regarding NHL'er availability. You confuse me also by saying you are sure that I am honest but that that is the only response I could make, as I am close to the team? Lucky for me the only option I had was my honest opinion then. Again, phew.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds in the coming weeks. I think this group can turn things around. Though as that's just an opinion I am sure you may well correct it for me :lol:

You seem to mistake my faith in G and Franny for believing they would not make a change if they (and they are in charge) felt it necessary. Not so. Please feel free to show me where they have had the Devils doing anything other than punching above their weight in the last few years and I will happily accept another correction of opinion. No doubt in bold typeface to give it that little extra gravitas ;)

drainage

KaneDevils said:
With respect Drainage, it doesn't matter why they sold, they sold !!. A few 1st stars, a hat-trick or three, that 60 will rise :!:
My point was it wasnt the calibre of the player that sold those - simply hype and as you state his performance may see more shift so you appear to be agreeing with me !!!