Signings/Departures Thread - All Teams 2023/24

Devils86

That’s a great signing by Clan, him and Dyson Stevenson will take no shit from anyone, and with us losing Louis we could be in for some rough nights against clan, what we gonna do take the leash of Brandt and tell him to wipe them out. We certainly need some size and toughness, we have had some good uns in Cardiff, so 3 signings hopefully to go, would love to see a Louis mark 2, and a McIntyre mark 2, pretty please.
Reaction on twitter amongst some Clan fans hasn't been all that positive. But your points stand, this will be the first time in 6/7 years when we haven't had (thus far on the roster) a genuine deterrent to some teams taking a shot at our better players. Interesting to see how (or if) we will address that. Can't rely on the stripes and DOPS to protect us all season.

E.D.S.

That’s a great signing by Clan, him and Dyson Stevenson will take no shit from anyone, and with us losing Louis we could be in for some rough nights against clan, what we gonna do take the leash of Brandt and tell him to wipe them out. We certainly need some size and toughness, we have had some good uns in Cardiff, so 3 signings hopefully to go, would love to see a Louis mark 2, and a McIntyre mark 2, pretty please.
Team toughness!! Nothing to worry about.

moggy#9

Reaction on twitter amongst some Clan fans hasn't been all that positive. But your points stand, this will be the first time in 6/7 years when we haven't had (thus far on the roster) a genuine deterrent to some teams taking a shot at our better players. Interesting to see how (or if) we will address that. Can't rely on the stripes and DOPS to protect us all season.
I tend to agree, lacking toughness could cost us. We're going to have teams taking runs at us all year.

Swarley

This is exactly what's worrying me this coming season, we've lost the one big difference maker and other teams are recruiting guys that will cause us no end of problems if we don't have an ice marshall keeping people honest.

Brandt while he is fun to watch him throwing hits isn't an enforcer.

hip check

Even though it's been lacking for a couple of seasons especially last season we all know that Josh is capable of throwing some bombs, I'm sure PR mentioned in one of his interviews that he is looking at Batchy being a bit more physical in his approach to his style of play this season.
Getting the old Batchy back would solve at least some of our perceived weaknesses on the physical front.
One more tough nut signing with some skill set thrown in would be a nice addition to the squad as well otherwise the responsibility could fall on Cox and Brandt again and that could backfire on us very quickly.

ASHIPP

Hoping that one of our remaining player announcements is a gigantic, tough defenceman in the Mark Louis mould.
I am still dumbfounded why Big Lou was omitted from games last season in favour of underperforming pre-retirement players. Equally gobsmacked that Mark was not offered an extention on the team this year.

Big Lou was the toughest player in our league by a long way most years. Granted that in recent seasons his deterrent tactics were more verbal than physical.....but he kept opposing players honest. His omission from games allowed teams to take physical advantage. Both Lord and Skalde knew how to get the best out of him.

Apart from being loved by Club and fans alike (and a fantastic role model for youngsters) when he was fit Big Lou tactically was a solid defenceman. Not Tyson Strachan standard ....but then not very often we see a former NHL'er in our league! And age catches up over the years so Mark might have been a tad slower. Coming off the back of a stand out season in 2021-22, Lou was utterly mismanaged by Dupont and Co last year.

I hope the Devils don't live to regret letting him go......

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Even though it's been lacking for a couple of seasons especially last season we all know that Josh is capable of throwing some bombs, I'm sure PR mentioned in one of his interviews that he is looking at Batchy being a bit more physical in his approach to his style of play this season.
Getting the old Batchy back would solve at least some of our perceived weaknesses on the physical front.
One more tough nut signing with some skill set thrown in would be a nice addition to the squad as well otherwise the responsibility could fall on Cox and Brandt again and that could backfire on us very quickly.
Josh had his lowest pm,s in 11 seasons with the Devils last season, not that we want to see him in the box regularly but once you lose that heart and soul spirit in sport, it’s hard to get it back it’s not like a switch that can be turned on and off, and even more so as you get older. Hunger is a huge feeling in sport, and if you ain’t as hungry as you once were, it’s much harder to perform like yesteryear. This ain’t a knock at Josh far from it as I am glad he is returning, but if we want to be stronger we have to look elsewhere for that strength, that’s life.

jenks33

For me it’s more about the attitude of the team rather than having a couple of Mark Louis type players. I don’t care what anybody says Belfast weren’t massively tough over the past two seasons. Ruopp was always physical and Ben Lake has always played with a bit of aggression but you can tell Keefe just gets the whole team to play as if they’ve got a bit of a chip on their shoulders, Whether they’re on the first line or the fourth line. Where as we had players like Reid, Brittain, Crandall, Thompson just going through the motions in my opinion. And if Belfast did have players going through the motions they were soon released. I fully expect Rymsha to be a Sam Ruopp type player and it’s more of a case of Pete Russell changing attitudes and getting players buying into it. As much as people don’t like to hear it the game has changed and teams can win the league without an enforcer. You do need your team to play with tempo and a bit of desperation though.

Last edited:
For me Batch being picked over louis was a joke, last season there was no spark from him, he just gave up so many times and had no fight, he needs a huge season. Being pulled said it all for me midway through a game. By all accounts his wife wont let him do the fighting/sticking up but again that rumour. I am very worried with our lack of grunt

Last edited:

Diablo3

I don't think you need to worry about Batch this season, last time he was a little distracted with the testimonial (which was awesome) this year he wants to get back in the GB team, so with PR as coach, I think you will see him up his game.

jenks33

For me Batch being picked over louis was a joke, last season there was no spark from him, he just gave up so many times and had no fight, he needs a huge season. Being pulled said it all for me midway through a game. By all accounts his wife wont let him do the fighting/sticking up but again that rumour. I am very worried with our lack of grunt
If that's true i'd love to see him tell Pete Russell that his wife won't let him fight/stick up for his teammates :D. I would be shocked if PR didn't tell him within 5 minutes of their first conversation that unless he's more physical this season (and unless he just generally plays with a bit more urgency) then he will be surplus to requirements fairly quickly.

Last edited:

terry hunt

If that's true i'd love to see him tell Pete Russell that his wife won't let him fight/stick up for his teammates :D. I would be shocked if PR didn't tell him within 5 minutes of their first conversation that unless he's more physical this season (and unless he just generally plays with a bit more urgency) then he will be surplus to requirements fairly quickly.
I am surprised that you make such a personal attack on one of our existing team.I would of thought you were better than that

hip check

For me it’s more about the attitude of the team rather than having a couple of Mark Louis type players. I don’t care what anybody says Belfast weren’t massively tough over the past two seasons. Ruopp was always physical and Ben Lake has always played with a bit of aggression but you can tell Keefe just gets the whole team to play as if they’ve got a bit of a chip on their shoulders, Whether they’re on the first line or the fourth line. Where as we had players like Reid, Brittain, Crandall, Thompson just going through the motions in my opinion. And if Belfast did have players going through the motions they were soon released. I fully expect Rymsha to be a Sam Ruopp type player and it’s more of a case of Pete Russell changing attitudes and getting players buying into it. As much as people don’t like to hear it the game has changed and teams can win the league without an enforcer. You do need your team to play with tempo and a bit of desperation though.
Team tough can be a difficult thing to achieve on a team with no real tough characters on it, just one player with the right ammunition can be enough to keep a check on any opposing player/players who fancy taking liberties or cheap shots, being able to deal with that kind of attitude is much easier for the team when one of your guys has respect from opposition players, they know that if need be he is quite capable of laying down the law.
I can't see any of our current team worrying the opposition either singularly or as a team tbh other than a rejuvenated Batch.

jenks33

I am surprised that you make such a personal attack on one of our existing team.I would of thought you were better than that
Crikey that’s a bit strong Terry but looks like we’ll agree to disagree on that. I’ve got absolutely no doubts PR has made it clear to Batchy that he needs to see a lot more from him in every single department next season.

And I’m happy Batch is back by the way. Firstly because of his performances the previous season and also there isn’t a conveyor belt of top British defenceman out there. But his performances and attitude need to be better next season and I won’t apologise for saying that.

Last edited:

jenks33

Team tough can be a difficult thing to achieve on a team with no real tough characters on it, just one player with the right ammunition can be enough to keep a check on any opposing player/players who fancy taking liberties or cheap shots, being able to deal with that kind of attitude is much easier for the team when one of your guys has respect from opposition players, they know that if need be he is quite capable of laying down the law.
I can't see any of our current team worrying the opposition either singularly or as a team tbh other than a rejuvenated Batch.
But as I said though do you think Belfast were full of the toughest characters (or had the toughest player) the last two seasons? I don’t. I think they’ve got a tough coach that managed to get everything out of those players. And if he couldn’t they were gone.

I just think anybody that says not having Mark Louis (or the hardest player in the league) will be a big issue for us in trying to regain the league title I couldn’t disagree more.

I think it’s more important that the coach can get everything out of the whole roster rather than having somebody patrolling the blue line. That’s a bit 10 years ago for me

Last edited:

Rempel16

I don’t see an attack in Jenks’ post.

It looks more like a comment on a rumour and then speculation about a conversation between Batch and PR.

I think it’s generally been said that some fans feel Batch is a lucky boy to be back this season and from his signing interview this it appeared that he himself feels he has something to prove.