Signings/Departures Thread - All Teams 2024/25

Rempel16

I think if you ask most Devils fans what they want on D that we didn't have last season they'll say a stay-at-home, physical defenceman.
Mark Louis II.

But Louis played 4 seasons in the AHL before a full season in the ECHL. That's the standard we previously had and that's the standard we should be aiming for again.
That's a really valid point.

Whilst I agree that 4 seasons of AHL would be the dream, that was the pre-covid type of signing in my view. We can discuss it to death, but there's no doubt the calibre of the league has changed.

I don't think the budget would be there to allow us to sign a tough, defensive defenceman with 4 years AHL experience as well as Fournier and potentially Donaghey and Crawford also. Something has to give somewhere.

I absolutely agree that pre-covid we'd have turned our noses up at Pouliot's resume. But we should have turned our noses up at Sanford and Cox as their CV's were not exactly glowing. Sometimes its about taking the risk.

Pouliot's resume is poor, no doubt about it. But then, I think there's something to be said about a player that has come to the league and shown what he can do. Pouliot was solid, intimidating, physical and has the makings of a calming defensive defenceman. And he's probably cheap. As a closer comparison, look at Justin Faryna's CV before he went to the Stars. We would certainly have turned away from that, but he showed he can cut it in this league.

Riley Brandt another one. I think Pouliot would have become a big fan favourite.

moggy#9

Whilst I agree that 4 seasons of AHL would be the dream, that was the pre-covid type of signing in my view. We can discuss it to death, but there's no doubt the calibre of the league has changed.

I don't think the budget would be there to allow us to sign a tough, defensive defenceman with 4 years AHL experience as well as Fournier and potentially Donaghey and Crawford also. Something has to give somewhere.

I absolutely agree that pre-covid we'd have turned our noses up at Pouliot's resume. But we should have turned our noses up at Sanford and Cox as their CV's were not exactly glowing. Sometimes its about taking the risk.

Pouliot's resume is poor, no doubt about it. But then, I think there's something to be said about a player that has come to the league and shown what he can do. Pouliot was solid, intimidating, physical and has the makings of a calming defensive defenceman. And he's probably cheap. As a closer comparison, look at Justin Faryna's CV before he went to the Stars. We would certainly have turned away from that, but he showed he can cut it in this league.

Riley Brandt another one. I think Pouliot would have become a big fan favourite.
Those are all valid points, but the big question is where you expect a player to fit in your depth chart. There's a huge difference between someone who is a depth signing and someone you expect to log big first line minutes and to be a big cog on your special teams.

Rempel16

Those are all valid points, but the big question is where you expect a player to fit in your depth chart. There's a huge difference between someone who is a depth signing and someone you expect to log big first line minutes and to be a big cog on your special teams.
Good point.

Given the role that he would play, I'd have expected him to play 3rd pairing with pk minutes. My ideal would see Fournier on the second pairing, but I'd imagine that Fournier means the end of Crawford.

Rempel16

My biggest preference from defencemen around the league this season would be Despres from Nottingham. There's a guy that logged big minutes and was so calm in every situation. Left defence as well, so he could fit.

Despres Crawford
Fournier Donaghey
Batch/Mosey Richardson

Finny

I totally agree with the budget comments. Since Covid the whole league seems to have taken a step back of almost a decade in terms of quality of import signed. Sheffield bucked the trend last season with some big signings and if we want to compete with them we need to do the same.

And yes Faryna's CV wasn't much to shout out about before he came to the EIHL. But then he had two full seasons in the EIHL scoring 20+ goals before we went for him. And (IIRC) we still only ended up using him on our 3rd or 4th line.

I think with Dmen it's a little bit different though. If you want a defensive guy, you want him to be experienced. You can risk a Brandt or Faryna on your 3rd/4th line as a gamble and give them time to develop. I'm not sure you can really do that with a Dmen for the same reason I think Reece Kelly needs another couple of years at Glasgow.

If Pouliot continues to do well at Dundee then I'm guessing a couple of the big teams might be in for him. But for someone who only played 14 games in the EIHL last season and only 62 in his whole professional career - I think that would be a massive risk for a team that wants to be challenging for titles and based on rumours would possibly be on a 1st or 2nd line D-pairing.

Kevlar68

I was thinking the other day like Finny said that since covid the standard of our league has dropped which then led me to thinking that how attractive is this league for incoming players? Is this league now an elephant graveyard and green horn league?

Last edited:

Have Hope#35

My biggest preference from defencemen around the league this season would be Despres from Nottingham. There's a guy that logged big minutes and was so calm in every situation. Left defence as well, so he could fit.

Despres Crawford
Fournier Donaghey
Batch/Mosey Richardson
Funny... Every time I saw Despres I thought he was awful. He looked slow, dis-interested and lacked intensity! I'd much prefer a Tansey type player. I also doubt that Fournier would mean the end of Crawford, think it just depends if Crawford wants to return?

Finny

I was thinking the other day like Finny said that since covid the standard of our league has dropped which then led me to thinking that how attractive is this league for incoming players? I this now a elephant graveyard and green horn league?
I think it's still a very attractive option for players - possibly for younger players rather than the more experienced ones. We've lost a bit of financial clout but it's probably still advertised as a stepping stone to the big European leagues with the benefit of the English language.

BostonBart22

Despres Crawford
Fournier Donaghey
Batch/Mosey Richardson
think mosey is not returning..

I'm not seeing Bode Wilde mentioned much in terms of D-Men. Are we thinking he's likely off elsewhere? Maybe a bit pricey?
He's a good age, good size and clearly has ability. He joined us mid (ish) season, played 36 league games, 28 points, is handy in a shoot-out and seems disciplined (only 6 PIMs).

moggy#9

I'm not seeing Bode Wilde mentioned much in terms of D-Men. Are we thinking he's likely off elsewhere? Maybe a bit pricey?
He's a good age, good size and clearly has ability. He joined us mid (ish) season, played 36 league games, 28 points, is handy in a shoot-out and seems disciplined (only 6 PIMs).
My assumption has been that he'd be looking for something in a higher league.

moggy#9

Statement of intent. Cheque book is back
Belfast were never going to be happy with their performance over the last season. A lot of teams are going to be stepping up with their recruitment for next season to catch up with Sheffield. For the devils to do that, unpopular (among some fans) decisions will be necessary.