Signings questions

Thread starter #1
So what are peoples thoughts on if we were to resign Voth to a fairly low wage compared to previous years? would it be a good idea or should we be looking for a fresh face?

If Stuuu re-signs Would he fit in on the first line with max and pelle if those two sign or would you prefer to keep last years third line together and hope for a center thats played some games in the ahl and alot in the echl?

Rempel16

In the interests of 'tweaking' I would be inclined to leave Stuuuuuu on the third line with Michel and S Smith. Although, I think we are in a position of negotiation to categorically state that we run three equal lines, as opposed to running line 1, 2 and 3.

Keep Birbraer and Pelle together, with a Matzka-esque player in between. AHL/Top European league 2-way forward with a killer pass.

That leaves Phil Hill, and I would certainly re-sign Voth (for cheaper) for the opposite wing. Hopefully get Matthew Myers back and he would easily fill the void left by Finnerty (in terms of faceoff winning and forechecking).

Burrows as a 10th forward.

For the 'D':

Get the Smiths signed up, to go with G and Richardson that's a solid defensive core. Weller can't be replaced as such, but I would certainly expect his size to be replicated, with a decent puck moving d-man coming in (Landry mould would be ideal)

I think this years formula has been rather successful (despite not winning a trophy) and continuity of the core players could be the key, as the Steelers have proven in fairness.

Rempel16

Just to add, if Voth/G decide that this is one year too many for the big man, then I would happily re-start my campaign to get Colt King in a Devils jersey!!!!

Skippy

Rempel16 said:
Just to add, if Voth/G decide that this is one year too many for the big man, then I would happily re-start my campaign to get Colt King in a Devils jersey!!!!
Well done on what I think is the first off season mention of Colt King :D

We had a " Bigsnake to Vipers" last week and I've been eargley awaiting a Colt King

Thread starter #5
skippy said:
Rempel16 said:

We had a " Bigsnake to Vipers" last week and I've been eargley awaiting a Colt King
Just to revive another rumour even though he's now made the show who reckons we'll get Steve Macintyre in?

voth26

would quite happily sign the vother who played during the season when he was scoring goals/points, big hits and generally made the other team think about him when he was on the ice, and showed up for games, think if the big man signs G will want more consistency from him and I would think it would be his last year. so yeh would take brad back to hopefully wreak havoc in the eihl :lol:

Rempel16

skippy said:
Rempel16 said:

Haha, no rumour whatsoever in this one! It's just that Colt King is top of my wishlist for every off-season.

Could be a chance this summer though, with Pelle saying that he'd put a good word to G about him in the programme (Something tells me this was Pelle appeasing the fans though).

TheStub

voth26 said:
would quite happily sign the vother who played during the season when he was scoring goals/points, big hits and generally made the other team think about him when he was on the ice, and showed up for games, think if the big man signs G will want more consistency from him and I would think it would be his last year. so yeh would take brad back to hopefully wreak havoc in the eihl :lol:
Ditto - my biggest reason for not re-signing him would be his lack of consistency.

He often looked a bit lost when trying to play a skill game, with passes going awry and coughing the puck up a little too easily. When he just storms around, hitting like a train - that is the player we need. But by the same token, G seemed to play that line too much at times resulting in them looking overly knackered.

One thing I noticed re-watching the play off final ( :( ) is exactly how much the second unit iced, and how pegged back in their own end they looked. Yes, they were matched against the skill unit for Panthers, but they seemed to loose the match.

Signing wise - I'd like a 4th line... probably a big ask. With our 9 forward system (plus fighter/penalty sitter) we can't afford the luxury of a pure checking line. If we put together a physical line that was hard to play against, took the opposition top lines out of the game a bit and maybe chips in a few points.

Running 4 lines would also give us the luxury of icing developing player a bit more, along with increasing our depth and therefore intensity level throughout a game.

Third periods have a been a little problematic for us in high intensity games this year.

osh

Whoever we sign, I just hope that G actually puts them on the ice and doesn't leave anyone warming the bench for game after game which seemed to happen last season. As ASHIPP said on another topic, keeping players on the bench may have been the deciding factor in losing the play off final. If we sign them, then lets play them.

TheStub

osh said:
Whoever we sign, I just hope that G actually puts them on the ice and doesn't leave anyone warming the bench for game after game which seemed to happen last season. As ASHIPP said on another topic, keeping players on the bench may have been the deciding factor in losing the play off final. If we sign them, then lets play them.
Exactly - if they are good enough to dress, they should be good enough to ice.

Let's make lengthen rather than shorten our bench please.

Finny

Where are these extra players for a 4th line going to come from?

If we're sticking to a budget/wagecap are they going to be playing for free or will we be signing cheaper players throughout the team?

TheStub

Finny said:

If we're sticking to a budget/wagecap are they going to be playing for free or will we be signing cheaper players throughout the team?
Doesn't have to be a 4th line, just rotate the 10th forward - or better still a 10th forward should be a fighter who sits your penalties.

There is no point having a guy who just collects splinters in his posterior.

Rempel16

TheStub said:
Finny said:

Doesn't have to be a 4th line, just rotate the 10th forward - or better still a 10th forward should be a fighter who sits your penalties.

There is no point having a guy who just collects splinters in his posterior.
Chris Wiggins please!!!

Finny

TheStub said:
Finny said:

Eh?
You said on the previous page you'd like a 4th line? Now I'm confused again.

TheStub

Finny said:
Eh?
You said on the previous page you'd like a 4th line? Now I'm confused again.[/quote]
Finny - yes I would like a 4th line. But, failing that I would want to not have a young guy sat on the bench and getting no ice time.

Where can we get a 4th line? ENL squad? EPL teams?

Not too long ago we have 11 forwards - call up another Brit and create some options.

But yes, you have a point (like I think I made before you) that we may prefer to focus our spending on 3 lines. In that case, I would rather a fighter as our 10th forward rather than squander a young player by giving them no ice time.

It may be a stretch to far for you though, admitting that the club may actually be able to do something different?

I honestly dont think that even with the wage cap, a complete fourth line is unachieveable. Its all about calling up the young Brits, mixing them through the lines according to their experience e.g. Sam Smith would get a lot of ice time.

Balancing the books can be challenging, but look what was achieved last season and how we (apparently) only *JUST* broke the wage cap with the introduction of Weller. Weller will have been on a fairly decent wage... probably enough to pay one and a half decent young Brits to come and play the "push the other team hard into the corners whilst the others rest" minutes.

I think that Cardiff have it much easier than say Sheffield for example. Sheffield are whinging now because they have a LOT to cut back and a LONG way to fall. Cardiff put together a winning team, on budget. I know we didnt bring silverware home, but the team still won the League in the most literal sense.

There are a lot of Brits with a lot of talent out there.. Cardiff have been granted with perfect opportunities to harvest it in the likes of Sam Smith, Tim Burrows, even Ben Davies (although the two latter would probably benefit also from time in the US training camps). They are worth NOT upsetting? in the short term, because once they have developed they will be real assets, particularly if the EIHL DOES stick to its word and reduce imports down to 8 or 9 in years to come.

I think last season it was really helpful having a spare in Ben when he was around. Now perhaps (after last season) he would not be everyone's favourite to bring back into the fold but if you think about it having a "spare line" might actually make sense. There were a few times last season around PK and PP when it would be a bit of a fiddle to get lines back in order, so assuming we sign this EPL brit or even Matt Myers then we could look at having a 4th line of youngsters that could be used in games to "re-set" the lines, giving them some valuable game ice time and also all competing for spots if injuries or 10 min penalties were to arise, something along the lines of Burrows, Davies + 1 more from ENL (Fisher or Piggot?). None of them would require much if any budget and it then gives us both the chance to bring them on and also some more depth.

TheStub

It would be nice to think we could get the the stage where we are putting some experience out there with the kids, and actually roll the line.

Obviously it would be something to build to, but the likes of Davies, Smith, Hayes, Burrows bubbling up from the junior ranks we have some real potential.

How about a line with Hayes, Voth and someone spark some speed (Burrows maybe even Towe if looking for a centre)? Dome real physical presence that can also move the puck and score some goals.