Simms Night

Thread starter #1
It's been announced this afternoon that David Simms will be travelling down to do "An Evening With...", story here.

What are people's thoughts? Personally I think this is a dull move, on account of Simms' comments about the Welsh in the past, but I think others will probably view that as his "banter".

Either way, it's bound to get people talking, so I guess that's a win for the Devils PR team.

Wannabe2

The last one indeed was good, I wasn't sure about going, but was pleasantly surprised,and it makes money for the Juniors which can't be bad.

Martynwo

Never liked him since Solihull days, likes the sound of his own voice, a "I know something you don't", his big mount matches his ego. I'll be sending the £10 in but not attending.

Ocko

I've never heard a bad thing said about one of these evening with Simms nights to be fair. As much as people hate to believe it, he is in the know and has a story to tell. Plus it's for a good cause.

Wagstaff

I think the problem is that there are two David Simms, one who gives a very good enjoyable evening out and one who finds out about your club before you do and quite often lets you know this, the thing is both of them share the same body.
I don't do Twitter so I don't relate to the latter, that way I was able enjoy what was an entertaining talk from a man who(whether you like it or not) is well connected and knowledgable about the sport I love.
Give him a chance and if you don't like it after 15 mins leave in the knowledge that you have helped support your juniors

Devil_Abroad

Wagstaff said:
I think the problem is that there are two David Simms, one who gives a very good enjoyable evening out and one who finds out about your club before you do and quite often lets you know this, the thing is both of them share the same body.
I don't do Twitter so I don't relate to the latter, that way I was able enjoy what was an entertaining talk from a man who(whether you like it or not) is well connected and knowledgable about the sport I love.
Give him a chance and if you don't like it after 15 mins leave in the knowledge that you have helped support your juniors
well balanced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electro

His time would be better spent bending the ear of the people that he purports to know, rather than debating with fans, the very fans he holds in contempt.

l believe his only interest lies in pleasing his masters, l fear he watched Dracula as a kid, found lgor was a more amiable role model, today he appears to have achieved his ambition.

It's the cancer that is within a sport that attracts little attention from the media, ensuring the maximum profit with minimum recourse.

It's a worthwhile gesture from the Devils, l would prefer to spend £10 to have a debate with the organ grind, not it's monkey, hell I'd spend £50 to have 10 minutes with them.

Wagstaff

Electro said:
His time would be better spent bending the ear of the people that he purports to know, rather than debating with fans, the very fans he holds in contempt.

l believe his only interest lies in pleasing his masters, l fear he watched Dracula as a kid, found lgor was a more amiable role model, today he appears to have achieved his ambition.

It's the cancer that is within a sport that attracts little attention from the media, ensuring the maximum profit with minimum recourse.

It's a worthwhile gesture from the Devils, l would prefer to spend £10 to have a debate with the organ grind, not it's monkey, hell I'd spend £50 to have 10 minutes with them.
Simmsy's not on your Christmas card list then?
I would suggest it's probably not worth wasting your 15 minutes, just turn up pay your tenner and go home!

Jones72

I suspect it might be quite interesting to measure ticket sales vs how many people pay £10 *not* to watch/listen to Dave Simms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Kipper

If you take the time to get to know Simmsey he's actually an ok bloke. He will do anything and everything to support hockey at all levels in the UK.

Do I always agree with him or what he does? Do I hell and I let him know it. The way he manipulated his very best friend Paul Thompson into Sheffield in place of just a normal friend G,left a particularly bad taste in the mouth.

For his many faults, he is worth a listen and is good value entertainment

ASHIPP

The Republicans have Donald Trump....British ice hockey has David Simms.

If you want to listen to a detested, opinionated egocentric with little integrity but lots of stories, go knock yourself out if you can stand him. Many folks have been and enjoyed it. It is for a good cause.

Some people will find other ways of donating to the Junior Devils. Think I'll stay at home and have my wisdom teeth removed without anaesthetic.....it's less painful.

Johnnybravo1927

I agree with Kipper. my sons 8th birthday we were away to sheffield and Simmsy took my son and I up to the white house, showed him how the PA worked, had a few pictures with my son, announced his birthday and was generally a credit to his club. Yes he is smug, arrogant and can be santimonious but he is very entertaining and lives and breathes hockey. He said he hates the welsh but it was all tongue in cheek as he reguarly likes to make a controversial comment. I dont agree with him on a lot of things but I think to mention him in the same breath as cancer (which someone did) is ridiculous. Also worth remembering he is doing this for expenses only so there is probably no appearance fee, its him helping to raise money for the junior devils and the next pool of UK hockey talent

Electro

The reference l made to cancer is in that it has no conscience, no cure. It's only objective is its own agenda.

In the correct context it's perfectly acceptable to compare Cancer with the actions of individuals or organisations that share that same agenda.

As a father, son or human to those people he meets in person I'm sure Simms is perfectly agreeable. It's not what is on the surface that matters, what makes a person is below that. The inner core, words are a merely empty gestures to make one appear more important, what speaks louder than words is ones actions.

As a satirical theatre act within the Hockey world I'm sure he will continue to amuse.

I just wish the people in charge started to treat UK Hockey more professionally. It would be a start if the class comedian would grow up, shut up or better still leave.

Electro

Ok some perspective for those who missed my point.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/op ... -time.html

"Corruption is a cancer in the soul of our beautiful beloved country Kenya. You are either affected or infected by this cancer in one way or another. Fighting corruption is a collective responsibility,an obligation".

My paragraph "Its the cancer that is within a sport etc was referring to the higher echelon of Hockey within our sport, since l was critical of Simms inability to influence this.

I was simply using a common comparison used by heads of state and the media to describe corruption.