Spam

Chris

Administrator
So...

I've changed some of the user group settings behind the scenes and in all honesty i've no idea if i've broken anything, or broken everything.

If it works, new users will need at least 5 posts approved before being able to post in general, which will create more work for myself and James so if you get caught up in this, apologies in advance that it might take a while to get around to approving things.

Otherwise, it *should* mean that the spam accounts are caught out in the first sift after registering...

But I might have also broken everything and no one might be able to post! If this is the case, can you drop me a PM on here (if it allows you to), or send us a message on Twitter and we'll try to fix it!

Otherwise, thanks to everyone for reporting the posts, next request would be for people to please stop quoting the messages in replies. Just report the spam, we can then delete easier without having to look through the thread to see who has quoted the spam and what other posts need deleting.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

Administrator
Okay, so first issue spotted...

It seems to be acting randomly in flagging some posts for approval, and others not for approval even from the same authors. I have no idea why this is the case.

I'm approving as I see them, hopefully if it is affecting you after 5 posts it will shift you into the other user grouping and it won't happen anymore, but we're waiting to see what happens there.

But anyway, we know about it and are trying to solve it :)

Ejercito Rojas

Okay, so first issue spotted...

It seems to be acting randomly in flagging some posts for approval, and others not for approval even from the same authors. I have no idea why this is the case.

I'm approving as I see them, hopefully if it is affecting you after 5 posts it will shift you into the other user grouping and it won't happen anymore, but we're waiting to see what happens there.

But anyway, we know about it and are trying to solve it :)
fingers crossed!

Chris

Administrator
Must be a nightmare for you both, hopefully the latest fix works!
Having just approved 3 of your posts @kettdevil1 I think we've stumbled upon another issue which I suspected... Anyone making a few posts in quick succession is getting flagged up as spam, I'm not sure what the timeline is but I've approved your posts and manually changed your user group.

The positive is that the change to user permissions seems to have stopped the spam at least! Bad thing is that some of you are still going to be affected until we suss out what the software is doing and get everyone sorted on the new system.

For those being affected, apologies but we're working through it as quickly as we can.

And for you @osh ,this whole thread is the reason your posts are being marked as needing approval. You don't need to submit another report.

o/

James

Administrator
I've made a few tweaks to the groups which should mean less approval flagging for approved users. It's still going to catch some people but bear with us as Chris said, we're working through the options

Chris

Administrator
Bumping this thread to draw attention to it for anyone turning up now that the season is getting started.

I've had a few messages, and resolved a few reports asking why posts are getting held up for approval, this thread is the reason why.

Just as a heads up as well, we can't respond to reports, so if you make a report with a query we can't reply directly to it, only mark the report as resolved or open.

If you have any issues, please flag them in this post, or drop me and/or James a PM and we'll do our best to answer them as quickly as we can! Otherwise, the changes seem to have had the effect that we were hoping for and spam posts are being caught before they go public :)