Sponsors ?

Thread starter #1
yes, its good to see fordthorne returning as thay are a great asset to our club :D but after our most succesfull season for a number of years i beg the question, why have such long standing sponsers such as spar, spire, crystal it (see all there cameras are gone ) and maybe others ( not gone through programmes ) seem to not have come on board this season, yes we have a new shirt sponsor and thats good, just seems an odd time to lose such high profile names, or am i reading too much in to it :?:

Paul Sullivan

These things do happen.

Some may move on due to end of contract. Some may choose to spend their budget elsewhere. Some may be an acrimonious split where they are unhappy or were badly treated. Some may not be pursued by the club. Some may be lost due to personnel changes on either side, sponsor and club.

Perhaps the microscope that the Devils live under these days magnifies such changes? Thomson Holidays, bmibaby, Coca-Cola, BT and others have left the Devils in the past, however the greater stability in some of those eras meant that perhaps it was not so big a question mark.

A new title sponsor is a big deal in the Elite League - ask any of the commercial people at the other clubs.

Perhaps the club may never again enjoy the kind of blanket support that our great, naive days of the Heineken era afforded us and perhaps that is correct, but for once - and here I join the Stub in doing some wall / banging / head practice - I would love to see a thread about having Specsavers back, having the new title sponsor, a whole raft of new player sponsors, about eLINIA backing the Devils, about the continued excellent work of Doverco, about the fantastic design work of Lime Green Tangerine etc...

The club has been roundly - and often justly - criticised for not showing existing sponsors enough love in the past. This new feature is one small way that the Devils can pay back a little of what has been given to them via the website. It's a great idea - from the offices of the club - and not the only thing being worked on to better the club. However instead of somebody picking up on a new positive, the context is used to highlight a negative. However correct, it just makes me a little sad.

They know people care. they know people research and monitor, and debate here and elsewhere (over a meal at the pilot if they have sense, from what I hear about their food!). Perhaps we could examine both sides of the club's coin equally? The inferno will only retain the status it enjoys as the online meeting place for Devils fans (which it deserves) if balance is present in equal parts to independence, imho.

Thread starter #5
yes i to have much experience of the head thumpin, followin this sport in this country for all these years who hasent. i stated fordthorne and new shirt sponsors and i see new smaller sponsors coming in and dont get me wrong, thats all good. just talkin to fellow fans its the big welsh / national brand names we have lost this year in one fell swoop must be a financial hit on top of the summer we have just had. this was never meant to be a point the finger thread just a concern, as it will affect the well being of the club while we try to bridge the gap between now and the arrivel of the new rink, q head thumpin.

Rhythm said:
I would love to see a thread about having Specsavers back, having the new title sponsor, a whole raft of new player sponsors, about eLINIA backing the Devils, about the continued excellent work of Doverco, about the fantastic design work of Lime Green Tangerine etc...
But is a forum really the place for that? Can fans not just discuss the game without having to bow low to sponsors who presumably support a club for their own reasons? Surely it's a role of the club to make it worth their while? Not a group of fans?
Any fan that was at the emergency fan meeting in that pub would have heard a lot of criticism from previous sponsors about the way they felt that they were treated by the management team. Surely a paying fan is allowed to have an opinion about that, and free to ask about it on an impartial public forum?

Paul Sullivan

Knuckles said:
Rhythm said:
I would love to see a thread about having Specsavers back, having the new title sponsor, a whole raft of new player sponsors, about eLINIA backing the Devils, about the continued excellent work of Doverco, about the fantastic design work of Lime Green Tangerine etc...
But is a forum really the place for that? Can fans not just discuss the game without having to bow low to sponsors who presumably support a club for their own reasons? Surely it's a role of the club to make it worth their while? Not a group of fans?
Any fan that was at the emergency fan meeting in that pub would have heard a lot of criticism from previous sponsors about the way they felt that they were treated by the management team. Surely a paying fan is allowed to have an opinion about that, and free to ask about it on an impartial public forum?
Is it not as much a place for a thread about new or extended sponsors as it is for one about former or terminated sponsors?

If it is not, why not?

Paul Sullivan

Thanks James. I do feel free to.

What I also felt free to do was comment on one that WAS started and how it seemed predictable to me. So I did....

Edit to say:

Just wondering - did you get SHiney's permission to do that to the logo? :lol: :twisted:

James

Administrator
forums are great for that aren't they.
I guess what people find difficult is to gauge your standpoint. Are you posting as a concerned fan or as an employee of the Devils. Immediately jumping on any thread that you see as criticising the Devils, saying it's predictable doesn't really help anyone.

James said:
I guess what people find difficult is to gauge your standpoint. Are you posting as a concerned fan or as an employee of the Devils. Immediately jumping on any thread that you see as criticising the Devils, saying it's predictable doesn't really help anyone.
+1

Rhythm said:
They know people care. they know people research and monitor, and debate here and elsewhere (over a meal at the pilot if they have sense, from what I hear about their food!). Perhaps we could examine both sides of the club's coin equally? The inferno will only retain the status it enjoys as the online meeting place for Devils fans (which it deserves) if balance is present in equal parts to independence, imho.
As you have mentioned the Pilot (agree with the food bit) as they are sponsoring Ben Davies this year should they not get a mention if he gets a goal/assist/penalty?
I ask because one of the gripes of sponsors last season was that they were not getting what they paid for. Ben got an assist on the weekend as he did last week but the Pilot wasn't mentioned either time. Is this another case of the clubs apparent carry on as if nothings happened mindset, as we are two home games in and the same gripes are resurfacing. It's all well and good criticising the negativity (which can be a bit wearing but that doesn't make some of the points invalid) but if the club isn't seen to be taking positive steps to address these issues it will just gather momentum until it becomes self perpetuating as seems to be the case now.

So with all the recent comments about negativity / positivity etc on the forum, it seems the mindset is certainly one or the other for posters. No middle ground here!

Player sponsors are getting mentioned for Goals & Penalties.
Assists were announced last season, I'm guessing that it meant goal announcements could be quite lengthy so assists have been dropped this season. Makes us sound a little less like the Chaventry Sponsordome

One thing any sponsor will ask is "When will my company be mentioned", as it's important to see what sort of return you're getting. I'd be surprised if any sponsor either didn't know or hadn't asked.

It's a subject close to my heart, it was something I was keen to know before deciding on sponsoring this year! I knew assists were announced last season, but also know that you can never assume in business!

I hope we'll be hearing lots of "The Pilot" for Ben this season, as that 4th line is buzzing!

Paul Sullivan

James said:
Wasn't aware we all had to have labels James. How about I post as a guy who has been a fan, employee, supporters club chairman, and all round Devils nut for over 20 years? Would that suffice?

Look it's my opinion. Clearly some don't agree. Clearly some have agreed with me, and there are many others out there who are not on here at all so we don't know how they would feel. It is now feeling that - as two mods have now accused me of "jumping" on threads - when does having an opposing opinion become jumping btw? Is there an electronic line of which I am not aware? - that criticising the content on the inferno in any way is very unwelcome indeed.

I have mentioned the inferno as this is the platform the content is on - no other reason.
I have criticised the posts not the poster
I have viewed, acknowledged and elaborated on both sides of each argument.

Seems thats not how I am supposed to behave on here unless I put a particular hat on so you can understand why / how / who I am posting.

Frankly I don't believe I should have to explain any motives as long as I elaborate on any opinions I express and am within forum guidelines. I would like to think people can make up their own minds about my posts without some smallprint disclaimer / explanation.

I have to say, for all the posts about their being no party line on here, it really does feel that way. But then perhaps the comparison to the club is relevant? As Wannabe has alluded elsewhere when you care deeply about something and have put a lot of work into it you will often defend it more than is objective. No reason to believe you would not do that for the inferno any more than I would for the Cardiff Devils, is there?

Paul Sullivan

Imagine said:
So with all the recent comments about negativity / positivity etc on the forum, it seems the mindset is certainly one or the other for posters. No middle ground here!

Player sponsors are getting mentioned for Goals & Penalties.
Assists were announced last season, I'm guessing that it meant goal announcements could be quite lengthy so assists have been dropped this season. Makes us sound a little less like the Chaventry Sponsordome

One thing any sponsor will ask is "When will my company be mentioned", as it's important to see what sort of return you're getting. I'd be surprised if any sponsor either didn't know or hadn't asked.

It's a subject close to my heart, it was something I was keen to know before deciding on sponsoring this year! I knew assists were announced last season, but also know that you can never assume in business!

I hope we'll be hearing lots of "The Pilot" for Ben this season, as that 4th line is buzzing!
Was typing my other response and was going to respond to Chi Chi (never conversed with a Panda before!)

As stated above, this is the case. A discussion was had over the length of announcements, the possibility of messages being lost in the "noise" of others (what I like to call the Skydome conundrum) and also it was noticed that certain players were heavily favoured with goal announcements last year but other more *ahem* feisty players missed out if they were not goalscorers.

So we have been doing goals and penalties so far this season. It's not that something has been overlooked, ignored or any of us are tryign to give the pilot a raw deal, it just happens to have changed as a possibility for a more even deal for all sponsors. Clearly so far the pilot have had two opportunities missed, however Jamie's Italian for example have benefitted from G going into the box. As have UWIC for Kenton.

There's not a perfect system and I am more than happy to alter it if it means a sponsor isn't happy.

I will say though that Kelly and I have tried wherever possible to really push the Pilot on Twitter, facebook, in person and on game nights as they are great people with a great offering. We're trying to give as much value as we can, and as I say - happy to listen if someone from a sponsor tells me they are not happy.

Hope that helps.

James

Administrator
Rhythm said:
Wasn't aware we all had to have labels James. How about I post as a guy who has been a fan, employee, supporters club chairman, and all round Devils nut for over 20 years? Would that suffice?
You are in a position at the club though so label or not, it's naive to think people are unsure as to your standpoint as a fan or as an official of the club. A similar problem people have with Simmsey. Another person with strong views and who wears an awful lot of hats.

Rhythm said:
I have to say, for all the posts about their being no party line on here, it really does feel that way. But then perhaps the comparison to the club is relevant? As Wannabe has alluded elsewhere when you care deeply about something and have put a lot of work into it you will often defend it more than is objective. No reason to believe you would not do that for the inferno any more than I would for the Cardiff Devils, is there?
No there is no party line here, other than we all support the club. There is no conspiracy, no secret societies, no co-ordinated attacks. Just lots of fans asking questions. To assume otherwise (and to jump on certain posts quicker than others) does smack of paranoia. I certainly support the Cardiff Devils more than I do the Inferno. The Inferno is an outlet to show support for the club and wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the club and sport we love. We wouldn't have done it otherwise. The Inferno is just a forum discussing the club. Sure as all forums are, it builds community, but it's merely a community of people passionate about the Cardiff Devils. The League, and none of the clubs in it are not perfect, we all know this, but take questions innocently asked as the feedback they are intended. I'm happy to have representatives of the club on here. In the past we have offered official accounts to the Devils to ease any demarcation between the employee as an official mouthpiece and the employee as a fan. That offer stands. You have my phone number if anything really concerns you.

James

Administrator
Rhythm said:
Edit to say:

Just wondering - did you get SHiney's permission to do that to the logo? :lol: :twisted:
Nope :) I did it for a Devils jersey compo. The one where the jersey design was already with CH before the competition was launched :lol:

osh

Rhythm; Regarding time constraints etc when mentioning player assists and their respective sponsors. If as you say the assisting players's sponsors aren't mentioned during the period time ( even though it would only take a second or two to do so ) perhaps the goal scorer and those assisting players names could - and maybe should - be announced during the 2 interval breaks and at the end of the game when players are shaking hands? It would mean all sponsors have been mentioned!

dave

osh said:
Rhythm; Regarding time constraints etc when mentioning player assists and their respective sponsors. If as you say the assisting players's sponsors aren't mentioned during the period time ( even though it would only take a second or two to do so ) perhaps the goal scorer and those assisting players names could - and maybe should - be announced during the 2 interval breaks and at the end of the game when players are shaking hands? It would mean all sponsors have been mentioned!
All sponsors are mentioned on the Blue Line Intros.. I Like the idea of a period recap but not sure how the 3rd would fit into the end of game if it was a "busy"period...

I don't think I'd like a period recap where the Goalscorers and assists are repeated with sponsors. You'd have to do the penalties as well I guess - That's speaking as a fan!
As a sponsor, I think it would be lost in the noise. I don't imagine any company names would sink in more during a period break. People are far too busy doing other things to be listening. I just don't think it'd work

Have some other ideas that might though, Rhythm, I'll message you!