St David's Day shirts

Sorry about that, that was my fault trying to publish a story and update the app at the same time. Yes James is correct, Following the game the Jerseys will be auctioned in the bar.

And there we are, crisis averted!

Sheincar will have to find something new to moan about now, like the colour of the sky or something more serious like the size of the moon!

:DWD

Sheincar

Thread starter #5
HatchetMan said:

Sheincar will have to find something new to moan about now, like the colour of the sky or something more serious like the size of the moon!

Sorry I bothered to put the link up even though the PR was clearly inaccurate.

Finny

Seemed a fair question to ask for me. We've had quite a few new posters on here asking about shirt auctions etc, they might well have thought it was before the game.

Sliput

Sheincar said:
HatchetMan said:

So why not put the link up, for peoples interest and add...."I think there is a little mistake and they will be auctioned off after the game" or even contact Kris himself ? instead of the "Really?"

Have Hope#35

Sliput said:
Sheincar said:
HatchetMan said:

So why not put the link up, for peoples interest and add...."I think there is a little mistake and they will be auctioned off after the game" or even contact Kris himself ? instead of the "Really?"
People making an issue out of nothing here! Really?

mweller

Pedants corner! Isn't "proceeding" actually correct? As in, coming after, eg "proceeding the riots of September there has been significant change". Preceding would mean before, and therefore be incorrect. But hey, following is good too.

Finny

mweller said:
Sheincar said:
Or simply put after. But hey that would've made it clear.
It seemed clear to me. Weren't you just kinda wrong? Go on, have a laugh about it and say sorry...
I think you need to look back at your definition of proceeding as that is wrong.

mweller

Finny said:
I think you need to look back at your definition of proceeding as that is wrong.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that proceeding can mean to follow on after a pause, eg you can say "he proceeded to dessert after his main meal". In which case this usage is correct. A google search for a phrase such as "proceeding the match" throws up lots of examples, but it is slightly incorrect usage, in that I think it using an intransient verb as a transient one. But that seems like a very detailed point call someone out over.
Now you could argue that you don't like it, or have a preference for a simpler term, but to start a thread about it and call it a "mistake", implies something more. The only thing I can think of was that it was misinterpreted to mean "preceding" which means to come before.
If not, it demonstrates a rather strong desire for editorial input, wanting to approve every word. Perhaps we should give Kris a list of permissible words from which he cannot deviate?
But, hey, maybe Devils fans really are semantic/grammar obsessives and we'll see "down with split infinitives" placards outside the BBT ;)

Finny

mweller said:
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that proceeding can mean to follow on after a pause, eg you can say "he proceeded to dessert after his main meal". In which case this usage is correct. A google search for a phrase such as "proceeding the match" throws up lots of examples, but it is slightly incorrect usage, in that I think it using an intransient verb as a transient one. But that seems like a very detailed point call someone out over.
You've obviously not been a member of the Inferno for long! :lol:

I agree with your analysis above, and that IMO 'proceeding' should not have been used in it's original context. Especially as there are several words that would be simpler and more concise in this instance.

Anyway, the auction will be in the bar AFTER the game. ;)

I think a one word possible mis spelling being discussed this long is sad in the extreme. Nothing else to moan about guys?! Whisles in charge, pope moved aside, better web steam than ever so we go to... spelling! :DWD :DWD :DWD

mweller

Finny said:
You've obviously not been a member of the Inferno for long! :lol:

Anyway, the auction will be in the bar AFTER the game. ;)
I've got NOOB stamped all over me I know! ;)

After the game, subsequently, succeeding, thereafter. Personally I think Kris should do all his press releases by channelling Will Self :)