Standing Situation at the rink

Justtw

Thread starter #1
What is the situation with standing in the rink now? I remember in the past the stewards would shoo you off if you stood around the back instead of sitting in your seats but sadly there are no seats together for Fridays game and I haven't been in a while.

Wannabe2

However we have the best Arena that we have ever had, the others are history now,the WNIR was awesome but those days were truly awesome, the BBT was a fortress and we had some amazing times there, but in reality it was a bit of a dump, with crap sight lines. Now we have a proper home different times and we are still alive and kicking.

Diablo3

With our place (which I am grateful for) I wish the designers just thought a bit about expansion if required. Nearly impossible now with the shape of the building. I'm sure the management wish we could get another couple of thousand on the capacity!

Wannabe2

With our place (which I am grateful for) I wish the designers just thought a bit about expansion if required. Nearly impossible now with the shape of the building. I'm sure the management wish we could get another couple of thousand on the capacity!
We could have had a 4,000 seater but no second pad as there was limited footage in the build, at the time we were bringing in roughly 1200 fans so 3,200 seats was nearly three times our attendance which then was very attractive.If the fight for the arena was just based on a home for the Devils it would never have happened as the council didn’t give a shit about a ice hockey minority sports club in Cardiff, we needed the figure skaters, the disabled team, the women’s team, the various junior teams,and public skaters, and the rec teams to be onboard and for that we needed a twin pad set up. The fight was for a facility for all Ice Users, together we were strong just wanting a home for ice hockey was not enough, so we have what we have it ain’t perfect but the alternative was goodbye Devils, this by the way is fact, not idle chat but fact

Kevlar68

At the WNIR even The Rage had good numbers watching them which Franny was a player for at one point as I used to do their intro and music for their games too . I think the second pad needs to come back and to try to elevate our other cardiff teams and figure skaters for supports to watch.
The Rage had some real gritty tough games.

If the 2 pads were in use I'd sell discount tickets for season ticket holders and double header tickets for single game purchasers (Devils, another cardiff team of your choice) to watch on the main pad. Also the figure skaters used to put on shows at the WNIR and the winter pantomime on ice were always well attended.

And yes the standing areas around the WNIR brought great atmosphere.

(I know my post isn't much to do with standing but we need to support all involved with cardiff ice)

Last edited:

Ocko

At the WNIR even The Rage had good numbers watching them which Franny was a player for at one point as I used to do their intro and music for their games too . I think the second pad needs to come back and to try to elevate our other cardiff teams and figure skaters for supports to watch.
The Rage had some real gritty tough games.

If the 2 pads were in use I'd sell discount tickets for season ticket holders and double header tickets for single game purchasers (Devils, another cardiff team of your choice) to watch on the main pad. Also the figure skaters used to put on shows at the WNIR and the winter pantomime on ice were always well attended.

And yes the standing areas around the WNIR brought great atmosphere.

(I know my post isn't much to do with standing but we need to support all involved with cardiff ice)
No teams really used the small pad. It was U10s, Learn to Play and public skating. Even rec teams turned their nose up at it. It was good for public skating as it freed up the main pad to be used for just hockey.

If the second pad was there I'm sure rec teams would use it. Training 10pm onwards to gone midnight isn't really appealing to some.

Post covid the second pad was never really given a chance and the council had their excuse to close it. Can't wait to see their £100m new civic building that they really need and the new arena that's a must have.

Earnie

You have a nice seat in the back row - I just can’t think of any reason why you would want to stand behind it other than the person next to you never stops talking or eating?

drainage

What is the situation with standing in the rink now? I remember in the past the stewards would shoo you off if you stood around the back instead of sitting in your seats but sadly there are no seats together for Fridays game and I haven't been in a while.
Got to honest I haven’t seen people being discouraged from doing it I sit in last but one row from back but make my way (when game not in play obviously ) to move to back and chat to friends before end of period , never been asked to sit. I know am there for 2 to 3 mins before period ends but haven’t seen it actively being policed guess it’s volume/numbers that would cause a reaction. cant stop people walking to or from somewhere if they can’t get through

kingmo19.1

Top row of the Gantry has plenty of standing room, however, you’ll need to hire one of the Telescopes to see the ice.

Last edited: