Steelers enter covid protocols

terry hunt

Just a question if the season is cancelled in the next few weeks.Will the Steelers be declared champions and represent the UK in the CHL next season.?

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #5
What are the rules? Has anyone seen a copy of the EIHL covid protocols?

What are the sanctions (if any) for a team to have broken covid protocols?

I have no proof, but it's entirely possible that a team has had players ill with covid who have been in recent contact with other players but not gone into covid protocols & decided to play anyway.

Earnie

Probably yes Terry in my opinion , and why not? They are the best U.K. team this season.

It would not surprise me at all if the elastic was stretched to play those two sellout seasonal games against Nottingham!

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #7
Just a question if the season is cancelled in the next few weeks.Will the Steelers be declared champions and represent the UK in the CHL next season.?
Last season the precedent was set where the Devils were league leaders so tool the CHL spot but were not declared League champions.

As I've said on twitter I'd be happy for Steelers to be awarded the league championship as long as Devils was retroactively given it for last year. Otherwise in fairness it should not be given to anyone.

Ocko

Last season the precedent was set where the Devils were league leaders so tool the CHL spot but were not declared League champions.

As I've said on twitter I'd be happy for Steelers to be awarded the league championship as long as Devils was retroactively given it for last year. Otherwise in fairness it should not be given to anyone.
Rightly or wrongly there was no rule when the season was cut short in 19/20. If the league has subsequently agreed on a rule prior to the season starting then there is no issue for me in awarding a winner. As there was no rule in 19/20 we shouldn’t be awarded the title retrospectively, you can’t make up rules as you go along it has to be before the competition starts, which it likely has this year.

James

Administrator
CHL is invite only and they can basically invite who they want. Its likely though steelers would be offered the spot. They have been clearly the best team this season when they weren't playing us.

Rightly or wrongly there was no rule when the season was cut short in 19/20. If the league has subsequently agreed on a rule prior to the season starting then there is no issue for me in awarding a winner. As there was no rule in 19/20 we shouldn’t be awarded the title retrospectively, you can’t make up rules as you go along it has to be before the competition starts, which it likely has this year.
Whilst I generally agree with you in regards that there wasn't a rule in place in the last curtailed season, and there may have been one agreed prior to this season, it seems that every other league that didn't finish their season awarded the league on PPG. There were quite a few too I believe. The AHL were not going to do so but I think had a change of mind. I doubt all these cancelled seasons around Europe/The World had clauses in place for cancelled seasons.
The EIHL decided against it for some reason. Might have been something to do with brexit!!!! :)
Steelers have been by far the best team this year tho so if there is a league winner in a curtailed season it will should be them

rocketbob

Whilst I generally agree with you in regards that there wasn't a rule in place in the last curtailed season, and there may have been one agreed prior to this season, it seems that every other league that didn't finish their season awarded the league on PPG. There were quite a few too I believe. The AHL were not going to do so but I think had a change of mind. I doubt all these cancelled seasons around Europe/The World had clauses in place for cancelled seasons.
The EIHL decided against it for some reason. Might have been something to do with brexit!!!! :)
Steelers have been by far the best team this year tho so if there is a league winner in a curtailed season it will should be them
As was pointed out to us in the previous curtailed season, they have plenty of games left and could throw it away. However, I didn't believe it about us and I don't expect the Steelers to bottle it this year (it would be nice though).

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #12
Many leagues did in fact make it up as they went along when covid struck last year. Provided everybody is in agreement it's not an issue. If one party objects that's fine I agree with you it's not fair to change move the goalposts so-to-speak.

Since all the participants in the league this year are the same as last year if they did come to agreement on how to award the league to a winner in the event covid stopped the league then I don't see why those same people would object to the same criteria for the season just gone..

As such I don't think there has been an agreement for this sesson, at least I've not heard it announced. If the teams couldn't decide how to award the league last year I don't see them reaching a decision this year.

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #13
The EIHL didn't want award it because those that run the league from the top clubs couldn't face awarding the title to a rival. Basically they were childish.

Based on who is the best team then Sheffield should be awarded the league if the season stopped right now but on principle because of what happened to Cardiff - for consistency sake I'd not award it to anyone. Sheffield gets the CHL spot.

moggy#9

Much as I hate them out would be difficult to justify any other course off action. They've been head and shoulders the best team so far. Just to be clear, I mean the chl place, note being named league champions.

kettdevil1

Anyone know if the EIHL specified what would happen if the season is curtailed? The rugby league governing body specified that a league champion would be awarded on a PPG (or win percentage, can't remember which) as long as a team had completed X number of matches, which whilst not perfect, sounds fair.

Sheffield have been good this season but lets not forget we dismantled them 5-0 at their place so maybe we should be awarded the league if it comes to that ;)

i can't see how they can award steelers the league as theres lots of games left.im sure belfast would have something to say about that having only played the steelers once with the potential of giants winning a lot of points off the steelers.if they could'nt award us the title being points ahead with very few games left and we also had games in hand in march then surely it would be ridiculous to crown steelers champions after half a season.

BostonBart22

i can't see how they can award steelers the league as theres lots of games left.im sure belfast would have something to say about that having only played the steelers once with the potential of giants winning a lot of points off the steelers.if they could'nt award us the title being points ahead with very few games left and we also had games in hand in march then surely it would be ridiculous to crown steelers champions after half a season.
Correct i can see Belfast giving the steelers a run for the league title if ice hockey fulfills the season..