Steelers v Devils - 03/12 - 7:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

steve

Re: Steelers v Devils - 03/12 - 7:00pm - League - Chat/Updat

Dont apologise - it just makes it easier for everyone to know what you mean and who your talking to.

Your last post is fine and makes a good point re stats - the post before didn't really make a point as you were just assuming something without actually seeing the game - that's when people tend to have a go.

Having seen the game I would like to commend the guys on a really gutsy performance.
We controlled large parts of the game and to do that against a very strong Steelers side on their ice is a great achievement.
The game was exciting and fun to watch despite the final result. No fights, no big hits but thoroughly entertaining ... what I'm saying is I think it's the intensity and commitment that counts ... hits and fights are, or should be, tactical (and I'm all for it when it makes sense) ... lack of them doesn't mean the team isn't playing with intensity and I don't think you could fault the effort last night. The result could easily have been different.

ASHIPP

BBW said:
We were the better team tonight to me in what was a cracking match. It was well worth the trip up.

It's easy to look at the numbers and jump to conclusions, but Finnerty himself has stated on Twitter that only Decaro kept them in it tonight. Decaro had a stormer tonight, fair play to him.
Here are comments from a poster who was at the game, and his comments back up match reports and MNL.
Sounds like a tough game, Devils playing well but up against a netminder completely at the top of his game. Even Finnerty himself acknowledges that.
Considering our team were playing with 2 imports missing and, from what is said, Sam Smith icing for limited periods (is he injured?), the Devils did not disgrace themselves at all.

Let's face it, Steelers are undoubtedly one of only 2 or 3 teams in the battle for the League title. They have just signed yet another top 10 point scorer, have one of the best netminders in the league and have enough players to ice a NFL roster, let alone a hockey team! Even before this game, a quick look at previous meets this season between the two teams would suggest which team was the stronger playing in Sheffield.

The Devils have had a tough run - I looked at WHO they have actually played in their 20 odd league games so far. Will certainly be glad to see the back of the top 4 teams soon.

Keep battling with passion and grit, Guys :D. Something positive will happen. Here's for a cracking game tonight at the BBT.

thats very true ashipp a good coment from sumone at the game. bigcherry also said summat simular. but discodai was there to (here goes using qoute :p )

Decaro made very few glove saves.there were around a dozen rebounds that Cardiff couldn't get on the end of.quite a few they did manage to get too as well!he didn't get man of the match so I think that's a gives a slight idea of the "save quality"
so that says it a bit different. we all see games in a different way. you mite not notice a players preformance but i may think hes played good.
decaro is a good nettie but he does give up loads of rebounds to. if just a few times we have had someone crashing the net (summat we need to do more) we could of got to more rebounds scoring more and giving us all a different reflection on the game :p :p
(i had a bit of help with this 1) :oops: :oops:

TheStub

(Didn't see the game - comment is only on previous DeCaro games I've seen).

DeCaro is very much a butterfly goalie, so he tends to block shots rather than kill the puck. He will try and get position and angle to take the shot on his pads, and (hopefully) put the rebound somewhere there is a Steelers D and isn't a crashing opponent.

He doesn't seem to flash the glove out every chance, and probably wont make many highlight reel goals. He plays the percentages and makes most the first stops. He relies heavily on the D clearing his rebound. His rebounds are eye watering though, and if I were a Steelers fan I would have my heart in my mouth every game.

Therein lies the secret (IMHO) to put a load past him - you get to where the rebounds go. Get the good first shot, probably from the wing around the circles. Make him come over and leave most the net to put the rebound home. But the solid Steelers D tend to clean house there, and get to the rebound first. I would hope our Bash Brothers line would be most effective going there.

TheStub

As an addendum to that, some of the most insane "saves of the season" in the NHL in recent years have come from Miikka Kiprusoff of the Flames... but so many of those were because he was badly out of position it's unreal.

Sometimes the goaltender will quietly get himself in the right places, read the play well and very workman like build himself 48 saves from 50 shots without having too many "insane saves".

reading mnl only 1 save was discribed as "fantastic" the others just said "decaro save". against hull it was the same (wen we lost at home 2-3)
55 shots 2 goals. i think we are generaly not scoring enuff goals, maybe summat to do with confidence? Boucher ( i think) is an ok nettie, but stats against him i think shld be betta ;)
stub, its not often u will see those stats for a nettie in the nhl :cool:

zoesdevil

BeatBox said:
@zoesDevil = So going by your comment i take it that you were at the game.........?
Oh hang on you couldn't possibly of been at the game or you wouldn't of made such stupid statements!!

I dont think there is need to be rude :(
do i have to go to a game to have a opinian on it?
it is intresting to hear what people say bout the game who were there.
discodai was there and what he says made it sound to me that decaro played well but most his saves were like routeen? i might be wrong there but i think that is what he said.
how is what i have said stupid? please xplain :(
To be quite honest yes you do when you put comments like that!!!
You needed to be there and if you were you'd of seen that the players threw everything but the kitchen sink at DeCaro and still he stood tall, so just think before you post and maybe I wouldn't have to be frank with you!! Sorry if I offended you
In any way! :roll: :D

I think the one thing we could have improved on last night was our positioning in front of goal. We controlled the puck in the Sheffield zone for large chunks of the game and it seemed that we were doing everything right apart from scoring, I heard the familiar ping of the puck off the pipework at least three times one of which certainly seemed to be goalbound until an attempted tip in by Ben Davies I think sent it into the bar, on any other night it may have gone in. All Sheffields goals seemed the result of breakaways, a good tactic from Finnerty considering our defensive situation.

Our second? line of Voth, Hill and Matzka were our most effective and Matzka would have been my M.O.M. although any of Richie, Kenton, Voth or Frank would have been O.K. with me.

In summary, we had 4 defencemen (2 brits) one of the smallest players in the league in Ben (another brit)on what seemed to be our first line, an ENL player getting regular shifts on our third line(and not looking out of place) and our third line centre (Dobben)seemingly doubling up as a forward and a defenceman whenever neccessary. We may not have a roster full of superstars and it may be a little bit late in the season but we certainly seem to have discovered how to PLAY AS A TEAM. long may it continue.

Would have liked to have gone to this game, but prior arrangements for Friday put pay to this (hangover)!. By what i have heard off fans that were at the game and the MNL thread we were very unlucky and ran into a hot nettie!. I feel for the guys as the effort deserved something, but as the cliche goes "you don't always get what you deserve" and in sport this seems to be the case more often than not!.
To me last nights game typifies what the Devil's are all about and always have been to me " gutsy hard working team" and it's these attributes that bring me back season after season and like many regular supporters i know over the years have said it's the hard work and never say die attitude that seperates a Devils team from others!.

The one thing that worried me going into this season aside from the obvious was that a lot of the take up on new season tickets was due to the as i call it the " Weller " factor which i think that seeing that team last year was the norm, but the reality of last season we were spoilt and i know a lot of people realise this which put the club in a no win situation going into this season with regards recruitment.
Ultimatley who ever skates out on game night for the Devils and puts in a hard shift that's all the majority of the fan base want and expect. WELL DONE GUYS!!.
By the way just out of curiosity does anyone know what was the attendance figure last night??

jimmy snels

buzzwagon said:
Ultimatley who ever skates out on game night for the Devils and puts in a hard shift that's all the majority of the fan base want and expect. WELL DONE GUYS!!.
nail hit firmly on head there mate and if the players give 100% most devils fans will never complain :) LETS GO DEVILS :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

kettdevil1

Gingers Husband said:
I think the one thing we could have improved on last night was our positioning in front of goal. We controlled the puck in the Sheffield zone for large chunks of the game and it seemed that we were doing everything right apart from scoring, I heard the familiar ping of the puck off the pipework at least three times one of which certainly seemed to be goalbound until an attempted tip in by Ben Davies I think sent it into the bar, on any other night it may have gone in. All Sheffields goals seemed the result of breakaways, a good tactic from Finnerty considering our defensive situation.

Our second? line of Voth, Hill and Matzka were our most effective and Matzka would have been my M.O.M. although any of Richie, Kenton, Voth or Frank would have been O.K. with me.

In summary, we had 4 defencemen (2 brits) one of the smallest players in the league in Ben (another brit)on what seemed to be our first line, an ENL player getting regular shifts on our third line(and not looking out of place) and our third line centre (Dobben)seemingly doubling up as a forward and a defenceman whenever neccessary. We may not have a roster full of superstars and it may be a little bit late in the season but we certainly seem to have discovered how to PLAY AS A TEAM. long may it continue.
Sums things up for me. We are not the best team in the league but what I saw last night was a team rather than a collection of individuals. Not everyone is 100% there, and I still want to see more physical play but at least things are heading in the right direction. I drove home disappointed that we lost but convinced that everyone had given 100%

Reductio ad absurdum!
Not at all, and why say it in Latin? i dont get to watch much nhl so i study stats and watch hi-lights instead. i dont read goalie stats like that very often.

nail hit firmly on head there mate and if the players give 100% most devils fans will never complain
even those who miss games with a hangover :lol: (JOKE)

just seen on our second goal mnl has an asisst to voth and elite leage site has burrows, which is right?

Skippy

The elite site score sheet will be correct.

The MNL feed will just report what comes in on the night.

The game sheet may have been updated after the game.