Steelers v Devils - 18/09 - 5:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

Re: Steelers v Devils - 18/09 - 5:00pm - League - Chat/Updat

Saw the game last night. Steelers were no better than on Saturday but benefited from the bigger ice as they had more time to get passes away. Having said that I was surprised at the high number of turnovers by both sides. Devils were really in control but lost the game because of individual errors. One goal was scored on the rebound by the player that shot from outside the blue line. Finnerty goal was turnover in attacking zone and nobody waiting for him to come out of the penalty box. Fourth goal, in my view, was because a tired line was sent out after too much PP and PK (caught in possession behind own net). So we gave the game away. Don't really understand Clare's comments about the younger ones and mental stuff ... I don't think they've shown any signs of letting up or poor decision making, didn't concede any goals in last few games and have scored points so what more can you ask?

ASHIPP

A large consensus of opinion over on Steeltalk confirms that the Devils controlled this game for 50 minutes. Many of them are saying that the Steelers didn't deserve to win because the Devils worked harder, played better hockey and were more organised. However stats do suggest that whilst Devils' pk very effective, the powerplay was not successful. :eek:

No-one will be more frustrated about this result than the players themselves. Unfortunately, what it does highlight is that in tight games like this one (where there is always a probability that a strong team like the Steelers will fight back), the team that is ahead has to be able to shut down the opposition dead in the final period and maintain concentration. If the Steelers had not scored goal no4, perhaps Stevie would not have been pulled in an attempt to get an equaliser.....but they ran the risk of an opposing ENG and that's what happened.

But it seems like there were lots of positives from this one and once Max returns, the lines can settle down properly. The guys sound like they are not far off success on the road. :)

TheStub

Bedevilled said:
Don't really understand Clare's comments about the younger ones and mental stuff ... I don't think they've shown any signs of letting up or poor decision making, didn't concede any goals in last few games and have scored points so what more can you ask?
I thought this too, as does ASHIPP apparently:

ASHIPP said:
No-one will be more frustrated about this result than the players themselves. Unfortunately, what it does highlight is that in tight games like this one (where there is always a probability that a strong team like the Steelers will fight back), the team that is ahead has to be able to shut down the opposition dead in the final period and maintain concentration.
I didn't see the game, but saw the Giants game and this was the case there. The final period a few mistakes compound and suddenly you are second guessing yourself - and you don't want to touch the puck. Decision making takes that half a second longer, you maybe zig when you should have zagged - and the balance of the game changes.

From the crowd we don't notice, but there are so many players who talk about chasing the game, and it is the biggest change from a young player to a veteran. Maybe the younger guys were making more mistakes, and Adams was forced to double shift the top two lines a bit more? Suddenly the new guys and the younger players weren't so sure about where to go.

We have the skill, we have the fitness - but we need the mental toughness to win the tight games - when the Steelers brought the big guns in the third, we would have swept it aside earlier in the match but suddenly we left gaps we shouldn't have.

I feel with all the pp chances we had we should of wrapped the game up. It needs drastic improvement. Other than that we were just plain unlucky at points.

A

Anonymous

as several others have said, they youngsters seem to lose their mental strength towards the end of the games.
Nothing personal against anyone, but what a load of poop!!
We lost this for two reasons. Our PP was poor again. And individual costly errors. And not by our youngsters !!

Zed said:
We lost this for two reasons. Our PP was poor again. And individual costly errors. And not by our youngsters !!
Not all our youngsters, however Batch seemed to be in above his head a few times last night.

A

Anonymous

I don't see what your getting at? Are you basically saying Batch lost us the game or.......

The crucial point was their 4th. Isn't it Macrae caught dilly-dallying. The puck then finds it's way to Ramsay right out in front who unfortunately rifles home. It happens.

I just feel if we had of carried our PP from Saturday into Sunday we'd all be celebrating a 4 point weekend! :evil:

PS: Just to add the youtube highlights are great! Picture and sound quality is ace

TheStub

Re: Re: Steelers v Devils - 18/09 - 5:00pm - League - Chat/U

Zed said:
as several others have said, they youngsters seem to lose their mental strength towards the end of the games.
My bold.

That is the point.

And not just the young ones I know - but is a team wide building feedback loop. Hockey is probably over 50% mental.

I'm saying Batch looked in above his head a few times last night.

When he was caught two on one he was lost, he panicked a few times on passes sending one right to a steeler in the slot which Lyle deflected. His mistakes didn't cost us but of all the younger brits he was he weakest last night. At home I've been very impressed with hi, but on the larger ice I felt he wasn't coping as well and I feel G should adjust his ice time to suit that until he gets more settled.

I don't feel it's harsh, I feel that Batch has the most potential we have seen from a Brit d man in a while and I think if he's suffering on large ice pads this should be nipped in the bud now and worked on as I feel the kid can go a long way.

Skippy

DevilDan said:
I'm saying Batch looked in above his head a few times last night.

When he was caught two on one he was lost, he panicked a few times on passes sending one right to a steeler in the slot which Lyle deflected. His mistakes didn't cost us but of all the younger brits he was he weakest last night. At home I've been very impressed with hi, but on the larger ice I felt he wasn't coping as well and I feel G should adjust his ice time to suit that until he gets more settled.
So the mistakes didn't cost us, but you'd suggest adjusting Ice time ?

Confused.. you only really learn and get better by doing surely ?

A

Anonymous

So he gave the puck away and looked lost on a 2 on 1.
BUT, a better PP and we would have won the game, oh and minus Macrae's mistake for their 4th. ;)

Exactly Skippy, :?:

I'm saying if he's being left out to dry and his confidence shot to bits on this larger ice, then yes adjust it letting him play short shifts and doing the little things right ( like he's doing with confidence at home) for a game or two in Nottinghams, Belfasts etc. His confidence will be there on the big ice, and hey presto, Batch playing to his potential both home and away.

This is in answer to youngsters, the game was lost by not taking our chances in the PP which i already stated a good few posts ago. I repeat I don't feel batch in any way lost us the game!

TheStub

DevilDan said:
I'm saying if he's being left out to dry and his confidence shot to bits on this larger ice, then yes adjust it letting him play short shifts and doing the little things right ( like he's doing with confidence at home) for a game or two in Nottinghams, Belfasts etc. His confidence will be there on the big ice, and hey presto, Batch playing to his potential both home and away.

This is in answer to youngsters, the game was lost by not taking our chances in the PP which i already stated a good few posts ago. I repeat I don't feel batch in any way lost us the game!
I know exactly what you mean. When he makes a mistake, don't leave him out there to compound the mistake. Perhaps make him have a shift off and have Franny or a veteran slide over and have a bit of a quiet word and then send him out.

Confidence is made through trust, but sometimes you need to calm someone down to prevent the mistakes snowballing.

If you get a chance to check out the Oilers documentary series "Oil Change" I suggest you do. How they ration the young players ice time, and how the coaches and veterans "coach" the rookies on the bench is an eye opener.

Skippy

DevilDan said:
I understand what you meant now.. I read your initial post in a very different way.

What your saying there makes real sense

voth26

seems like a mixed bag, good and bad points from this game oh well onwards and upwards roll on the stingrays we need a win to keep us in the hunt and to get out of the group.

TheStub

I've been crunching the stats and I'd say there is more positive than negative to take from the weekend.

Despite not registering any points away from home yet, we have started a lot more positively than recent years.

It really feels like we've built on last years team rather than starting from scratch. :D