Steelers v Devils - League - 30th March 24 - FO 1900

Wannabe2

I had a feeling this dead rubber game was going to be awful but like a fool I parted with my £15. Will I never learn.
But it was only us that was aweful, they were fine as they are the best in the league, even though they are only 14 points ahead of us, thats equivalent to 7 more wins.

ASHIPP

Nothing dead rubber about this game....losing it just piles on a bit more pressure to secure 2nd place with less games to play. Tomorrow is a big one.

Wannabe2

Nothing dead rubber about this game....losing it just piles on a bit more pressure to secure 2nd place with less games to play. Tomorrow is a big one.
To be honest I couldn’t give a toss if we finish 2nd or 3rd, what difference that makes is zilch to me, if we finish 3rd then we meet a lower team and at the end of the day you have to beat what’s in front of you, and if you can’t then that’s your problem and you deserve to go out. No one remembers who finished 2nd , and no one remembers who finished 3rd, and that’s life. Anyway time will tell .

Devils86

Got to feel for the guy, never gets a run of games and can't build that game shapeness when not playing for weeks on end.
As a 'hands up' moment I have zero knowledge of playing etc and just judge it on what I see: but if you are a backup you need to grab your opportunities when they come along (like Kozun did at times and ended up as a starter elsewhere). Neither Booth or Wall instilled any confidence and for whatever reason they can't go down as good calls by the NM recruitment/coaching team. Fully expect BB to play 99% of important games next year and to be backed up by Kerlin/Norton on rotation. Either that or yet another import will sit on the bench and it'll be a roll of the dice if they are up to it when called upon in 5 or 6 games per year. For me (I know we don't discuss these things yet) but NM recruitment has been off this year and anyone who wants a Wall GW jersey should get down to the rink tomorrow

BostonBart22

Never seen wall have a good game tbh just look at last belfast game few sloppy goals went through him , was he brought in by euan King or is he just coaching him, be surprised if wall is a devil next season.

Gavevs88

As a 'hands up' moment I have zero knowledge of playing etc and just judge it on what I see: but if you are a backup you need to grab your opportunities when they come along (like Kozun did at times and ended up as a starter elsewhere). Neither Booth or Wall instilled any confidence and for whatever reason they can't go down as good calls by the NM recruitment/coaching team. Fully expect BB to play 99% of important games next year and to be backed up by Kerlin/Norton on rotation. Either that or yet another import will sit on the bench and it'll be a roll of the dice if they are up to it when called upon in 5 or 6 games per year. For me (I know we don't discuss these things yet) but NM recruitment has been off this year and anyone who wants a Wall GW jersey should get down to the rink tomorrow
We need a #1 top import goalie if we want to win anything next year. It's no surprise the last time we won a trophy we had exactly that! That with Bowns as a tandem would give us a much better chance of winning something.

moggy#9

I'm not going to get into specific retainment/ recruitment thoughts at the moment. There's a time and a place for that, and it's in about a month. What I will say though, is that the days of a single netminder and a bench warmer went the way of player coaches a long time ago. No teams serious about winning championships can go that way.

ASHIPP

Sad state of the club when you would rather put an injured Bownsy in ahead of Wall
Don't think it's even that. Granted that Tyler has not been given a run of games to get into a groove and hecant be happy playing once in a blue moon. Coaches will never play goalies who are carrying particular injuries in case it worsens, so Bownsey can't have anything that will majorly affect his play.
I would be more concerned about our lack of depth and drive to be able challenge Steelers' alternative goalie last night. And, as usual, to have an effective power play system.

kettdevil1

Don't think it's even that. Granted that Tyler has not been given a run of games to get into a groove and hecant be happy playing once in a blue moon. Coaches will never play goalies who are carrying particular injuries in case it worsens, so Bownsey can't have anything that will majorly affect his play.
I would be more concerned about our lack of depth and drive to be able challenge Steelers' alternative goalie last night. And, as usual, to have an effective power play system.
I wasn't there yesterday (and haven't seen any highlights yet) so not commenting specifically on that game but assuming Bownsy didn't have the best game, given how well he has played this season, I think it would be harsh to be overly critical. Wall has been a solid pick up for us (and I would argue is a clear step up on Booth) but is a clear #2 for me.

I disagree with the PP comment. We have the second best PP this year and bar a dip before Christmas it has been pretty consistent. Anything over 25% is good enough for me and we are well over that. It is our PK that has slipped recently (4th best in the league) so I would argue that's where the work needs to go in.

The season is drifting to the playoffs really given we haven't got anything much to play for so whilst I hate losing in Sheffield (and to be fair it doesn't happen a lot in the last few years), in the great scheme of things it hasn't impacted on anything.

We need a #1 top import goalie if we want to win anything next year. It's no surprise the last time we won a trophy we had exactly that! That with Bowns as a tandem would give us a much better chance of winning something.
AGREE AGREE. The issue I have, is how can we attract a top NM . "Please sign for us, oh by the way bownsy will be the No1 regardless of form " we won't attract what we need until bownsy retires

moggy#9

The issue that I have with one goalie playing the majority of games, is part of a wider criticism of the team. We're too predictable. As a result opponents can be well prepared when they play us. We need two goalies with different styles, particularly we need one who is far more effective in handling the puck. I think we've tried to do that, but for whatever reason there's only been confidence to use bowns.

Now in the past I've heavily criticised bowns, but this season he's given some amazing performances. When he is off form though, we need to have someone who will come on and give us a chance to win. All I hope is that he doesn't have off days in the world champs, otherwise Canada, particularly if they have bedard, will humiliate us.