Steelers v Devils - PO Semi-Final - 15th April 23 - 1900 FO

BostonBart22

Considering his reputation he has underachieved horribly. His recruitment has been questionable, and the way he organised his team has been poor. I would expect them to have a new coach in by the end of may.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Paul dixon at Sheffield, I know he done well with guildford last few seasons but deserves a crack at a bigger club and that's not having a dig at flames.

moggy#9

He was solid after the first 10 minutes, but at that point the rest of the team started playing better defensively too. I think that many people equate spectacular with impressive. They're not the same thing.

I'm assuming that bowns will start again, so I hope he's on form.

TL91

He was solid after the first 10 minutes, but at that point the rest of the team started playing better defensively too. I think that many people equate spectacular with impressive. They're not the same thing.

I'm assuming that bowns will start again, so I hope he's on form.
He’ll deff start tonight…you wouldn’t freeze Kozun for 10+ games to then put him in for this one. Think it shows naivety on behalf of management as it doesn’t really give them the option to switch up if form necessitates as the other guy won’t be as match sharp.

moggy#9

He’ll deff start tonight…you wouldn’t freeze Kozun for 10+ games to then put him in for this one. Think it shows naivety on behalf of management as it doesn’t really give them the option to switch up if form necessitates as the other guy won’t be as match sharp.
Fundamentally I feel that both goalies should have gotten a roughly equal number of starts. The deciding factors should be things like fitness and whether one goalie or the other is better suited to a particular opponent.

I have a horrible feeling that bowns' flaws will be exposed by a ruthless belfast team who have more of a clue than just throwing everything at the net like Sheffield did. The devils simply have to score early this afternoon and get the giants on the back foot. Also get them emotional with a few big hits or maybe taking a run at besky.

Anyone else think that if Bowns had let in our winning goal he would have got crucified on here and twitter etc
As much as it was a great snipe and the goalie can’t cover everywhere he would have got it for not covering his post

moggy#9

Anyone else think that if Bowns had let in our winning goal he would have got crucified on here and twitter etc
As much as it was a great snipe and the goalie can’t cover everywhere he would have got it for not covering his post
I'd be interested to hear the opinion of someone who has played in goal, but it almost seemed like the Sheffield goalie was cheating a bit on his coverage because he was expecting a cross-crease pass. Certainly he left far too big a gap for someone of coughler's ability.

I'd be interested to hear the opinion of someone who has played in goal, but it almost seemed like the Sheffield goalie was cheating a bit on his coverage because he was expecting a cross-crease pass. Certainly he left far too big a gap for someone of coughler's ability.
This is exactly my thought process but you’ve done a better job of putting it in to words lol

Greenfield is not the biggest of NM’s at 6’1”and 185lb so at a little bit of a disadvantage against say, a 6’4” 210lb NM when it comes to filling his goal (Barry Burst being at other end of the scale) but the same maxims apply.
Get tight to your shortside post, get your shoulder right up tight under the crossbar and get your stick on the ice to cover your 5 hole.
Greenfield, iirc left a big gap over his shoulder giving a forward of Coughler’s ability an opportunity to find the net.
And the other rule for a NM facing an odd man rush is ‘play the shooter’, some try and ’cheat’ and anticipate the pass which sometimes end in a highlight reel diving save but also more often than not ends in a ‘top shelf’ short side goal.
Greenfield failed to control the rebound on the tying goal and put it tamely into the danger area for Davies to ‘tap home’.
In short both NM’s could have and probably should have done better on 3or4 of those goals but overall both NM’s played well.

But give me a big NM that’s technically good and plays square to the shooter every time!

moggy#9

Greenfield is not the biggest of NM’s at 6’1”and 185lb so at a little bit of a disadvantage against say, a 6’4” 210lb NM when it comes to filling his goal (Barry Burst being at other end of the scale) but the same maxims apply.
Get tight to your shortside post, get your shoulder right up tight under the crossbar and get your stick on the ice to cover your 5 hole.
Greenfield, iirc left a big gap over his shoulder giving a forward of Coughler’s ability an opportunity to find the net.
And the other rule for a NM facing an odd man rush is ‘play the shooter’, some try and ’cheat’ and anticipate the pass which sometimes end in a highlight reel diving save but also more often than not ends in a ‘top shelf’ short side goal.
Greenfield failed to control the rebound on the tying goal and put it tamely into the danger area for Davies to ‘tap home’.
In short both NM’s could have and probably should have done better on 3or4 of those goals but overall both NM’s played well.

But give me a big NM that’s technically good and plays square to the shooter every time!
Thanks. Great analysis.

BostonBart22

Sheffield 7 panthers 4 ..and what a surprise 7th goal set up for jono assist connoly...couldn't make it up could we. Oh and that is 10 zilch in series of games between them this season