Strachan gone

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Stingrays search for new coach
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to News

16:49 - 24 March 2009
34 readers have commented on this story. Click here to read their views.
Rick StrachanEXCEL Hull Stingrays have parted company with Rick Strachan as coach.

Strachan, who had been in charge since Stingrays' inception in 2003, will be replaced next season by a player-coach.

Stingrays stress the move is on financial grounds, and not a reflection on the fact Strachan has failed to take the team into the Elite League play-offs for three successive seasons.

He will remain a director of the club, but it is not expected that he will play any active role next season.

Director Mike Pack said: "The Stingrays are not immune to the financial situation and this has led to a need to re-think the structure of the club.

"Prior to going into next season we have had to examine the club's finances and will now embark on a search for a player-coach and I will take on the managerial duties.

"This approach is in line with most other teams in the Elite League."

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sue Pack added: "Mike, Rick Strachan and myself are long-term friends.

"All three of us operate to the same code of ethics.

"The level of class and integrity Rick brought to his duties with the Stingrays was second to none.

"It is an honour to have him as a friend and to have shared the last seven years together. Whoever comes into the new role of player-coach will have some very big skates to fill."

Reader comments
I don't Bob, I sit in F Block.
Fred, East Yorks - today, 15:39 pm
[ report ]
Teach I am really trying not to argue with what you say BUT.The fans at which ever arena are all the same some are worse to be honest.Strachan came in for it because he always appeared to be just standing there letting things get worse and worse he benched players for nothing, others no matter how lazy or what mistakes they made just carried on bench proof.It's same in any sport when the players show up the fans do simple it always been that way we used to stand and clap the last 2 minutes of games in the early years you may remember I don't know how long you've been going not that it matters to me weather you have been going 10 games or 10 years, even if we was 6 or 7 goals behind because the effort was there from everyone to succeed.Everyone well been pleased I can't post any more on this section because I'am go round in circles and don't wish my comments to be seen the wrong way.Long may this rollercoaster ride continue in my view I was about to get off but know I'am up for more.In the words of Brad Voth WOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!
bob, sunflower valley - today, 15:00 pm
[ report ]
My argument is not against Strac being relieved of coaching duties or against the fact that he has to shoulder some blame for our failures but against the sheer level of vitriole levelled against the man. I don't believe that the manager should shoulder all of the blame in football either. The manager/coach is not actually on the ice playing against the opposition- so surely the players should shoulder some of the blame as well. I also believe we as fans should shoulder some of it as well. We should be lifting our players while they are on the ice not berating them or like I have heard many time especially from one particular fan picking a player to shout abuse at for that game- depending on who he has decided is playing badly in that game. We should lift the players- it shouldn't always be that the players lift us. We are one of the worst teams- at home- for only singing when we are winning. I am sorry to see Strachan go- not necessarily always as coach but definitely as a person. I hope the new coach is ready for a challenge!!
Teach, Worksop - today, 14:24 pm
[ report ]
Your right Fred.Lets move on with alot exitement for the new season I already can't wait.Out of curiosity Fred do you stand at the back of c block against the post at the top of the stairs?.
bob, sunflower valley - today, 14:21 pm
[ report ]
"I do not think Strac was blameless but I also do not think he was the only one to blame for our lack of success" 100% agreed! Now lets stop this pointless squabbling and get behind the team and new coach with a bit of enthusiasm.
Fred, East yorks - today, 14:01 pm
[ report ]
My point was they needed to try something different and getting rid of strachan from the coaches role has done that they have my backing 100%!
hawkeye, Hull - today, 13:06 pm
[ report ]
Teach I was just pointing out that it had been said that he made the play-offs.Strachan was in sole charge of the team that was pointed out at the very 1st fans forum at the Ice arena when we 1st saw the Packs and Strachan.Strachan made it quite clear he stated in was in charge of the TEAM from hiring and firing and most importantly the coaching who else is there to blame possibly the amount of assistant coaches we had this year for some reason or other.The buck stops with him afraid like any other manager at football,rugby or coaches at another Ice hockey club the buck has to stop somewere.I'am not having a pop I like a good debate I'am just trying to see your argument for him staying as coach.
bob, sunflower valley - today, 12:52 pm
[ report ]
Bob, what makes you think everything in my post was aimed directly at you? I was answering points from other people as well. As I have tried to point out before I do not think Strac was blameless but I also do not think he was the only one to blame for our lack of success in recent seasons- unlike many people who have commented on here.
Teach, Worksop - today, 12:28 pm
[ report ]
Teach if you looked at my other posts I did point out with Strachan we scraped into the EPL play-offs.The FANS have been very understanding in my opinion how much longer do you think we should have given him 6 season's is enough in my opinion with the same things happeing over and over again.I think you will find which ever coach with what any team hasn't had as much time as Strachan had because FANS were scared by the fact if Strachan left the Packs said they would as well so it was a case of take it or leave it which scared FANS from voicing their opinion.I always said if it took the Packs to leave so be it thats how desprate the situation had become in my view.This hopefully will be a fresh start the promotion of the team needs to be done at the start of the season not the end give out as many free tickets as they can in my opinion with the shouts that have been heard at the arena lately even if you got in for free you wouldn't come back.I would draw a line under the Strachan era most of the FANS have got what they wanted now move on lets just try and think about who we are going to get who are we going to sign not everyone will be happy but the 1 thing for sure is The Stingrays FANS will give any new coach the full backing that Strachan had when he first arrived and until last season.
bob, sunflower valley - today, 11:52 am
[ report ]
At no point have I said I won't be behind the new coach. I will be behind the new coach as much as I was behind Strac. First and foremost I am a Stingray and I will remain so. What I meant was if next season the result is the same- who will the 'so-called' fans turn on then? And can I just point out it hasn't been the same result every single season- we haven't failed to make the playoffs in every season- or is it that that particular detail didn't fit your rant? I don't disagree that some results under Strac have been disappointing and I hope that the club can move forward and gain the success that we ALL want- I just hope that the Strachan-haters don't turn on the new coach the way they turned on Strac.
Teach, Worksop - today, 11:09 am
[ report ]

Comments 0 - 10 of 34
Pages: 1 2 3 4 next»

Have your say...

Note: To use the comments facility, you must first register using your email address. As a security measure, a validation link will then be sent to that email address. This is only once per email address. You must then use that email address each time you wish to comment on a story.

Email address you wish to use:

Use these boxes to tell us what you think right now. Your comment will be instantly published right here and possibly printed in the newspaper as well. If you want your comment published in the newspaper please include your full name and location.
WARNING: Any abuse of this system could result in users being held personally liable for any legal consequences.

Your Name: Your Location: Your registered email address:
(Not for publication)
Please tick this box if you do not want someone from the newspaper or website to contact you via email for further comments.

Comment(max. 4000 characters)

TheStub

Writing is on the wall all over the league.

Not sure how much difference a player-coach will make, but I imagine it will allow them to carry an extra import within their budget.

Mind you, being a fairly regular visitor to the Hull Arena it always amazes how few fans they have. Is rink is seated on three sides, and the seating looks very similar to the cheap seats in the old WNIR. The only time I have seen it over 40% full was at a Shuff match - and that was the number of Shuff fans. There were as many (or even more) Steelers fans than Rays, and they defiantly made more noise.

They must struggle to make enough money to get anywhere. What with the early face off times, and the cheapest tickets in the league.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #3
Hey mate i used to sit in one of those seats, and enjoyed every minute of it, well nearly every. I have been at the Hull arena when it was full, and thought the bar was awesome. Mind you it was when you could get a pint for 2 bob, Anyway good on those guys for being able to keep there team in the mix, and hopefully some things nice may come there way.

TheStub

Not the quality, but rather the quantity of the seats I was trying to convey :lol:

It must be a great atmosphere in there when full. Very similar rink to the old WNIR. Trouble is, it never seems over 40%, and like a church.

It used to be fuller in the few pre-EIHL games I saw there.

I remember them knocking a load past someone, and the scoreboard wouldn't go high enough to show all the goals :lol:

I hope they can find a way forward to compete, as I would love to see some decent games on my doorstep. The current Hull team is built on defence, and not much else. May win the odd game, but boring to watch.