Such a shame!

Thread starter #1
I mean no offence with my post and maybe my timing is not right, but when is? I only want to say that normally Ice hockey fans and teams would relish at the fact that their finally getting noticed for the sport we all love........ but in reality we are only being noticed due to a very very sad time. Losing a player. regardless of the team they were in its sad enough for all of us to lose a player, but for Adams family circle, I cant even begin to only think what pain they are feeling right now.
The point of my post is, why does it have to take someone dying/injured to have the ice hockey world in Britain noticed. I know the news loves to feed on the sorrow stories, but for once I wish they would print and talk about all the good stuff about us weekly to show everyone how good the ice hockey world is.... but , who am I kidding?

tim78

I think you make a valid point, hundreds of teams and thousands of fans have stood together in empathy and care in what the outside world only sees as a violent sport.

All I can suggest is look at the reactions of the people in the sport and be uplifted by it and leave the news be what we know it can be rubbish.

moggy#9

Unfortunately our sport has to contend with sensationalist, gutter media. While that manifests as national media ignoring the achievements, we see the local media in some areas doing little but generating clickbait.

I really don't see things improving with media so obsessed with football and egg, and with such a low standard of professionalism among some of those working in it.

BostonBart22

Giving my age away here , but used to watch Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon and they had regular games of ice hockey on a Saturday afternoon, was mostly Scottish teams and occasionally some English teams, really good coverage as well, but sadly got dropped for other up and coming sports , like table tennis, showjumping, motocross, swimming, cross country running of all things, fuming when that shit came on instead of ice hockey . It is what it is now though , shame really ..

moggy#9

I guess that's one way
Petr Cech: Ex-Chelsea goalkeeper joins Belfast Giants in loan move

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/67424976
Hard not to consider this a cynical attempt by the giants to deflect attention from their fanbase on their poor run of form. If you take away the fact that he's a former premier league footballer, you're left with a 41 year old who has been playing one step above rec hockey.

BostonBart22

Hard not to consider this a cynical attempt by the giants to deflect attention from their fanbase on their poor run of form. If you take away the fact that he's a former premier league footballer, you're left with a 41 year old who has been playing one step above rec hockey.
He won't p

Wannabe2

It’s nonsensical really, it’s purely to take the attention of a crap weekend from them, however it’s surely the opposite, play him and anyone can take the Giants

Pembo

Part of me is glad doesn’t get massive coverage in U.K. I like that it is niche and usually a safe space away from a lot of problems that plague more popular sports which much more of a sense of community. Recent events show how wider world taking an interest is not necessarily a good thing and there have been the sort of toxic undercurrents that I don’t miss from years of following football.

moggy#9

Part of me is glad doesn’t get massive coverage in U.K. I like that it is niche and usually a safe space away from a lot of problems that plague more popular sports which much more of a sense of community. Recent events show how wider world taking an interest is not necessarily a good thing and there have been the sort of toxic undercurrents that I don’t miss from years of following football.
That's fair. Football has been destroyed by money and violence, meanwhile the drink and lad culture that surrounds egg chasing is horrible.

It's been interesting seeing something of European hockey culture. I certainly wouldn't want us to end up with the ultra style fandom that seems to exist in the DEL. For all its faults, British hockey has got a lot right.

Wannabe2

Totally agree with the above, a huge part of loving this sport is that it’s our sport, no diving, cheating, etc. It’s still a sport fortunately and not purely a business and a piss take, we have real men and not a friggin load of Primma Doners, obsessed with getting their opponents sent off.

One thing Belfast will get out of the Cech signing is the extra money they will make out of shirts with his name on.
It’ll buy them a few replacement players for the P45s they'll be handing out while everyone else is looking the other way at Cech

BostonBart22

One thing Belfast will get out of the Cech signing is the extra money they will make out of shirts with his name on.
It’ll buy them a few replacement players for the P45s they'll be handing out while everyone else is looking the other way at Cech
I know 1 thing we need belfast to get a regular time win in shuff tonight..

James

Administrator
Not sure if it was BBC or ITV but I was around my fathers the other day and he mentioned there was a good, fairly lengthy segment in the main sports news about the memorial Nottingham game