Summit Sunday 2023 - Dedicated thread

lloyd_jeff

Ummmmm actually GB is top tier and now once again relevant in the world of international ice hockey championships and that is down to the hard work of the players and out vary own coaches. And what do you mean by hopefully both Booth and PR are capable to out perform? PR for one has shown on the world and domestic levels that he can perform and Booth clearly has the stats and pedigree to show he can also perform if called upon. Don't think either need to try and out perform just think they need to do what they can do and perform to the best of their own abilities.

Oh and as for the "Results aren't that important" comment, surely, please tell me that was a joke. If not then don't criticise any team in the future if they lose a game or applaud a team for winning a championship/Gold Medal game if you genuinely believe that results aren't important.
When l said both out perform I was referring to Bowns and Booth not the coach.

BostonBart22

Thus far we have (I have put them on the side they shoot):

TBC - Richardson
Rymsha - Donaghey
Batch- TBC

Jardine is a left shooter so is a good fit with either Ritchie or an as yet unannounced Defensive D man.

Crawford is a righty, so would either pair with Batch (unlikely you would want Batch that high up, or Crawford that far down) or with Rymsha - which could work but then Donaghey moves to 1st/3rd line - which again has consequences for the rest of the D corps.

And that's not to even mention Mosey coming on D, or a spare that can play both, and Chad.

For the above reasons I think Donahey is the replacement for Crawford.

But, if we did resign both Crawford and Jardine it would be a talented D corp offense-wise. And would mean we had three almost equal lines, with Batch needing to step up a bit this season.
And like you said, Chad, batch and mosey can play D and Forward will be a huge bonus if we get injuries especially early doors into season, that's of course Chad and Evan are coming to the Devils

Ocko

Well the first thing to say is that I've not said bowns is a bad goalie. I have said though that I don't think he's in the top tier of goalies in the league anymore. In fact I don't think he's the goalie he was when he departed for Austria.

I'm terms of his issues, the first is his puck handling. He's never looked ready to make a long pass to catch opponents on a line change for instance.

My real concerns come from his positioning and technique in front of his net.

Bowns'has always been a reaction goalie. Those reactions will inevitably slow as time goes on. As a result of that, last season, we saw him moving off his post early in anticipation of a cross ice pass. This left a gap one the short side. This brings us into his lateral movement, which is sometimes uncontrolled, resulting in him being out of position. I believe this is a big reason why he looks spectacular - because he's forced into last gasp saves. Of course, part of this is also down to rebound control issues.

I'm sure that someone who has played in goal could offer some insights, but that's the way I see it.

If course, none of those is to say that he can't play very well at times. What I am saying is that over the course of the season against good opposition, these issues will be exposed both for the devils and for GB.

(Oh, and I'm on record as having said very similar things in the past.)
I agree with you on the stick handling (that’s an issue across all British players not just NMs), but the rest I don’t, I think the technical aspects are what Bowns is strongest at and his lateral movement is excellent. I think your assessment you can change the name and label at almost any NM in the league (probably anywhere). I also don’t think his reaction would’ve slowed; he’s 32 so absolutely in his prime. No NM in this league will be perfect, it’s the EIHL there’s a reason players end up here. FWIW I think his weakness is his concentration; when he’s in the thick of it is when he’s at his best when he isn’t is when you see his flaws.

Ocko

And like you said, Chad, batch and mosey can play D and Forward will be a huge bonus if we get injuries especially early doors into season, that's of course Chad and Evan are coming to the Devils
I think we may see a shift in how the D is paired. After years partnering the top D man there’s a chance Richardson could be with Batch in the 3rd pairing; Pete Russell has used this combination often for GB in the past and it’s a good pairing of a L and R shot. It would also reduce Richardsons icetime a little. Whilst he is absolutely a top D pairing on ability he’s also turning 37 this season - maybe it’s time he’s managed a bit differently.

moggy#9

I agree with you on the stick handling (that’s an issue across all British players not just NMs), but the rest I don’t, I think the technical aspects are what Bowns is strongest at and his lateral movement is excellent. I think your assessment you can change the name and label at almost any NM in the league (probably anywhere). I also don’t think his reaction would’ve slowed; he’s 32 so absolutely in his prime. No NM in this league will be perfect, it’s the EIHL there’s a reason players end up here. FWIW I think his weakness is his concentration; when he’s in the thick of it is when he’s at his best when he isn’t is when you see his flaws.
Interesting. I think we might have to agree to disagree on this one.

lloyd_jeff

Could not care less if it's some trial for GB as long as the guy is good enough. If he's as good as we hope he is he'll likely be with us long enough so he can play for GB and then be off to Europe again. Whilst he's here his job is to win trophies not be our NM for the next 10 years
To a point, as long as it’s not the deciding factor over other players.

Finny

The more I think about our remaining signings the more I think they might all be returning players. Plus Mosey

Am I right in thinking that only Arniel and Barrow were signings that hadn't been leaked? If we had another surprise left to announce would the owners have not wanted to announce that themselves?

In which case the remaining players would come from:
Crawford
Jardine
Davies
Pietroniro
(Mosey)

I know Crandall has been rumoured on here as returning but even if we ignore last season I can't work out if he'd be the ideal player for that 1st line or not. Something tells me PR wants a more physical player alongside Ully and Arniel and Barrow could be ideal for that.

In which case I'm going to predict:

Ully - Arniel - Barrow
Cox - Martin - Sanford
Waller - Busch - Mosey
Duggan - Davies - Brandt

Rymsha - Donaghey
Jardine - Crawford
Batch - Richardson

(Pietroniro as spare)