Sundays healthy scratch opinion

Johnnybravo1927

Thread starter #1
Who gets left out? Such a good squad with no weak spots so unless its dictated by injury I would imagine that Andrew Lord has a really tough decision to make. In the past, Cully and Doucet have been scratched but both are match winners. I wouldnt want to have to make that decision

JC23

For me, as much as it sucks to say, it would have to be Culli.

Such a small group of players to choose from who can actually sit, but all the others have been on such fine form, he would be the realistic choice IMO.

I did originally think maybe Kearney would sit for this game, but I think he's too much of a spark in the team already to sit him for something so important. Plus, Steelers haven't played him yet.

We need Lordo on the ice, and I think we need to have Bordy icing too.

It's a damn tough one.

Wannabe2

Sure wouldnt want to make this decision, it's a healthy state to be in that's for sure, but when you have a team of winners, and a team with so much talent, it has to be a lottery who to leave out. Whoever does get left out, could be potentially a game winner, what a position to be in.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

august04

Definitely not Bordy with Sheffield having the likes of Fitzgerald, Desbiens and now Walker in their line up.
Part of me thinks the guys that got us to the final should be given the opportunity to win it, so Kearney should sit. If we then lost, I'd be rueing that decision though! An extremely tough call.

solelace84

I definitely wouldn't sit Kearney. Douce has been scoring frequently. We need Bordy's presence on the ice - plus he's been scoring and assisting quite often! Unless anyone else has a niggly injury, it will surely have to be Culli. Although, I'd be gutted if he got scratched too often and then decided to leave at the end of this season. He's a really valuable 2 way guy.

Ocko

As I am not the coach I am driven purely by doing the 'right thing' in an emotional sense rather than playing. I personally can't separate the candidates to sit so would go for Kearney as all other played a part in getting us to the final.

Without devaluing the competition we also have a shot at the big one so could possibly afford a risk on selection based on deserving rather than who is necessarily best.

Lord obviously has very good data available to him and sees the game far better than I, so there may be one player who should certainly sit in his eyes. A very tough call and one I wouldn't want to make. We dropped Hudson last year and in hindsight it probably didn't work.

DevilDom

Definitely wouldn't sit Kearney - I think he has been sensational in the 4 games he has played to date.

I think unfortunately (as I like both players) it comes down to Culligan or Bordy and for me I would go for Bordy to sit and go for beating Sheffield on skill. I doubt they will try and goon it up in a final but if they do we still have a couple of guys who will step it up but maybe the best think to do is just to skate away and take the PP's!

Very tough decision though. I won't be dissapointed with whoever plays.

ASHIPP

One of the toughest decisions a coach has to make before a final. Hopefully it will be decided by necessity to rest an injured player rather than just leave someone out.
My heart tells me Kearney (although he has been amazing) should sit and therefore all the players who got us to the Final in the first place should play.
My head tells me that the Head Coach should select the best possible mix of skill and toughness to compete against another team stacked with skill and toughness.
I doubt v much there will be any over aggression or fighting - this is a final and both teams will be focused on the W.
Lord needs to do what he does best - play and lead.

Johnnybravo1927

Thread starter #10
If it was my call then its Kearney. This is no reflection on him as a player but purely based on the players that got us there should get that call. How many league games do you need to play to be entitled to a league medal anyway, just in case we win it........

ASHIPP

I definitely wouldn't sit Kearney. Douce has been scoring frequently. We need Bordy's presence on the ice - plus he's been scoring and assisting quite often! Unless anyone else has a niggly injury, it will surely have to be Culli. Although, I'd be gutted if he got scratched too often and then decided to leave at the end of this season. He's a really valuable 2 way guy.
Culli is probably the best 2-way player in the League this season. He is so versatile in any position and and that flexibility is invaluable to a team.

Jonesy83

If all players are fit and able to play, I'd sit Kearney. Trust the players who got us to the final to win us the final.

Not a knock on Kearney, he's been good so far and long may it continue but I think him sitting this one out is the right thing to do.

Rob Batch

What a horrible decision to have to make. Barring injuries, I think it should be between Kearney and Lord. Having only just arrived, Kearney would be understanding I feel. As for Lordo, you never know what might happen on the ice ie getting thrown from the game etc (unlikely but still possible). Obviously we all want Lordo on the ice but it might be the best option.

Last edited:

matbur

Yeah, I think the right call would be Kearney - not based on performance but just on fact he wasn't part of the side which got them there in the first place.

It would be good man management with both Bordy and Culligan missing out.

Kal

It's got to be a performance based decision! I don't recall talk of anyone being particularly bad in Edinburgh but there is still the Manchester game to go yet! The best team possible should be put on the ice.

Bordy has got to play, he brings presence to the ice and you notice the 4th line have been productive on the goals front. Unfortunately I think its Culli who has to sit. Whatever happens, its a tough decision. I can see Lord not playing Friday night to get an assessment of who the form players are and making the decision from there.

backrow

IMO, this might be one of the toughest decisions that Lordo has ever had to make and that is why the Devils are such a good team this year! I don't think any of the Devils players deserve to sit which makes it so very difficult! The extra import can be a blessing and a curse.
Ironically, it was Culli who scored the Challenge Cup winning goal 2 years ago.

august04

Definitely wouldn't sit Kearney - I think he has been sensational in the 4 games he has played to date.

I think unfortunately (as I like both players) it comes down to Culligan or Bordy and for me I would go for Bordy to sit and go for beating Sheffield on skill. I doubt they will try and goon it up in a final but if they do we still have a couple of guys who will step it up but maybe the best think to do is just to skate away and take the PP's!

Very tough decision though. I won't be dissapointed with whoever plays.
Sheffield are desperate and in my view will do whatever it takes to win this game. If that means making any physical advantage count (even in a final), then they'd be daft not to. I've seen enough of Fitzgerald bullying our team over the years and I don't want to see it in the final. Despite the Nordic influence, Sheffield have a tough team now with the addition of Walker. Bordy must play. Kearney is a good player from what I've seen so far but certainly not a big upgrade on the likes of Doucet and Culligan. Those guys got us to the final and for me should play in it. Kearney to sit this one out if everyone is fit.