Tendler fails Drug Test

Well they kept that quiet... Its been rumored (in Mark Thwaits letter following him leaving the Steelers recently and other places) that should blanket drug testing be carried out in the Elite League there would be an alarming amount of players in trouble. Very bad times.

The substance he's tested for is one of the “more susceptible to a credible, non-doping explanation” substances, ie. cough medicine. I wonder how thorough and regular the testing in the EIHL is? It cyclist and athletes ring a hotline before so much as having a RedBull to tripple check there's nothing in it thats going to show up. If your not in that sort of routine with their level of doping education, support and year round strictness it would be very easy to take something that, if you were tested out of the blue would show up.

I've heard the olympic people are testing their systems on hockey players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2 ... ystem.html

Foxy

They have to be careful.

There was that case a few years back where a british downhill skier was banned all through sniffing a vicks sinex inhaler. Apparently perfectly legal when manufactured in the uk but when he bought one in the us didnt realise different drugs used in manufacture and got caught.

At the end of the day they are professionals so should know what over the counter drugs they can or cannot take.

kettdevil1

Foxy said:
They have to be careful.

There was that case a few years back where a british downhill skier was banned all through sniffing a vicks sinex inhaler. Apparently perfectly legal when manufactured in the uk but when he bought one in the us didnt realise different drugs used in manufacture and got caught.

At the end of the day they are professionals so should know what over the counter drugs they can or cannot take.
It was Alain Baxter and as you say, he lost his Olympic medal. The WADA code of conduct is very clear. The athlete is responsible for what they take. The "non-doping" explanation is a bit of a dead end. If it is on the list you are sanctioned.

rocketbob

Re: Re: Tendler fails Drug Test

WelshHabsFan said:
Diuretics are on the list. Wouldn't have thought that would be a good idea before taking part in sport anyway!

Didn't Shane Warne get a ban for using these?

The items on that list are there for a reason.

Ultimately as a professional athlete, you and only you are responsible for anything substance that is found in your body. There are many websites for athletes and coaches where you can look up any brand product (british or foreign) and they will tell you whether that product contains any banned substance. Things like caffeine only become illegal when they reach a certain level in your blood so a few cups of coffee before a game wont provide a positive result (especially if it's from the BBT). I've always been surprised there arent more drug tests done on uk hockey players. Drug testers can ask you for a specimen at any time - even if its in the off season and you're on holiday with your family.

Salsiccia said:
WelshHabsFan said:
Diuretics are on the list. Wouldn't have thought that would be a good idea before taking part in sport anyway!
Weight loss aid. Excellent if you're in an endurance sport.
Really? Not when competing surely as hydration would be essential over an extended time period. I'm not a doctor so I'll take your word for it :)

jimmy snels

WelshHabsFan said:
Salsiccia said:
WelshHabsFan said:
Weight loss aid. Excellent if you're in an endurance sport.
Really? Not when competing surely as hydration would be essential over an extended time period. I'm not a doctor so I'll take your word for it :)
they are used to mask a veriety of steriods and other testosterone boosting substances. shane warne was coming back from shoulder surgery so a possible way of speeding up recovery could be a quick dabble of dianabol... as just an example ;)