The importance of the cup final.

Gaz G

Thread starter #1
Right then.

It's not too often I post on here as the regulars seem to hate the truth. However, I'm still not a kiss ass who believes we are untouchable and have a divine right to be positive about everything in the life of the Cardiff Devils.

That said, I feel the final today is absolutely huge for us. If we win the game we get a renewed sense of confidence for the final few games of the league. A trophy almost everyone wants more than the CC or Playoffs.

Once again you were all fed up with me last year when I had the gall to suggest that winning the CC cost us the league.

In my mind, this game gives us an opportunity to come out of our slump and win every game until the end of the season of we win it.

Rich Best

Good post and I agree - this is why I have stayed positive over the last 2 weeks where others have gone into meltdown. We haven't become a bad team overnight. We probably need a few bounces to go our way today, and Nottingham to have a few bounces go against them. First period is huge. Even if we lose today we are still in with a great chance in the league, conference and playoffs.

But time is running short and we desperately need something to click again. I really hope Lord goes back to the line combinations that resulted in our most impressive form (Salters, Martin, Doucet etc). We need Doucet to start scoring again. We need Kurka and Russell to execute at the level they are capable. We need the defence to start focusing on defending again and frustrate Nottingham right from the start. We need to play tough but not take stupid time in the box. We need to execute on 1/3 of our power plays. We need to play as a team, but each individual needs to come out and perform at the top of their game.

Looking forward to it and a win today will taste so much sweeter after our recent dip in form!

ASHIPP

The Challenge Cup means far more to us than just winning a piece of silverware.

For the Cardiff Devils Club, Team and fans it is the symbol of a new era . It is also a symbol of unity....you only need to replay last year's Final and celebrations to see that.
It was a highlight in some of the players' careers...and a huge highlight in the history of our Beloved Club.

We all want that feeling again. When our players take to the ice today they will know that this is the culmination of all their hard graft this season. They have earned the right to be there.

With the Red Army in the stands (and at home) behind them all the way.

Give it everything Guys- show everyone why you have earned the right to keep the Cup.

Mooney#16

Controversial but I honestly couldn't give two hoots about winning the CC. The Devils are in a slump and the advice is all heart this and desire that. That works but it also does strange things to your decision making.

All I want from the game today is the Devils to simply execute their plays to the highest standard they can achieve. Don't lose positioning chasing hits. Don't over play on the puck looking for the higher reward play. I just want a cold hard professionally executed game plan that gives Panthers simply no way of matching.

If that game brings a cup then brilliant but right now it's about snapping the slump.

august04

Well, it's a cup final and an important trophy which I want the Devils to win again. But it's not the big league prize or the glamorous play off one, even if it is tougher to win than the play offs. If we do manage to take it though, I hope we don't see a repeat of last year when we settled for what we had, blew the league and play-offs with the rest of the season written off. That can't happen again please. Saying all that, given our form and effort of late, I just want the team to give everything today. If they do that, then you can't ask for more whether you win or lose.