The Real Problems

Thread starter #1
After all of the criticism of the coach The Netminder and the 3 Big D men I thought I would add some reality to this madness

The coach selected a roster for what was supposed to be a big physical entertaining League for the season.

The Big D men are used to playing a hard hitting physical game and now have to adjust their style of play to suit the SSIHL

Te real culprits in all of this are Eamon Convery and the Elite League Board and Matsos and Simms because of their pettiness and the Steelers lack of toughness ( They don t make much Steel in Sheffield these days and there is absolutely none in Matsos roster ) big Canadian physical players have to adjust their game to a more European style. These players are just not used to playing in the Dancing on Ice League

I would go as far as to say that this idiocy will herald the end of the North American players coming to play in the UK and we will see far more cheaper european imports in the UK diluting the product that we have become accustomed to. SSIHL won t be happy till they destroy our sport

I completely agree with this post.

Sheffield's actions on their first game against us this season has now set a very dangerous precedent across the league. I now this sounds like a rant on old news, but look at the league now... Cardiff, Hull, Basingstoke and amusingly Belfast are suffering due to an unannounced and inconsistent use of the rules and tariffs, and disciplinary committees.

I don't think that sheffield's admin, Bob or his media mongrel could have envisioned this outcome, but they must laughing at all the turmoil they have created in the other teams... How do coaches play within these new interpretations of the rules, only enforced after they built their rosters?

oh how I will laugh in Dave Simms' face when the Squeelers eventually get Tait banned

I think G is doing a very good job considering the eyes of the disciplinary committe will be upon him and his guys for the rest of the season

Reggie Dunlop said:

Sheffield's actions on their first game against us this season has now set a very dangerous precedent across the league. I now this sounds like a rant on old news, but look at the league now... Cardiff, Hull, Basingstoke and amusingly Belfast are suffering due to an unannounced and inconsistent use of the rules and tariffs, and disciplinary committees.

I don't think that sheffield's admin, Bob or his media mongrel could have envisioned this outcome, but they must laughing at all the turmoil they have created in the other teams... How do coaches play within these new interpretations of the rules, only enforced after they built their rosters?

oh how I will laugh in Dave Simms' face when the Squeelers eventually get Tait banned

I think G is doing a very good job considering the eyes of the disciplinary committe will be upon him and his guys for the rest of the season
who would he have to kill for that to happen ;), seriously though this league and its rules will slowly kill our great sport in the uk, the job of the big guys is really to look after the little guys and now it seems they cant do that anymore without getting thrown out of the game, i think the league bord needs to have talks, pull their heads out of their behinds and look at where their going wrong before they kill our sport

Yep this is my take on it as well, the teams that bulked up over the summer have been damaged by the league going way OTT with these bans.
Sure we need more from the goal scorers and from between the pipes, but I think our problems are of confidence and belief in certain situations rather than the personel. If we had ourt big D men playing with confidence and Brad back on the ice, I am not sure we would be in the position we are right now.

Thread starter #5
drummer-ricky said:
Reggie Dunlop said:

who would he have to kill for that to happen ;), seriously though this league and its rules will slowly kill our great sport in the uk, the job of the big guys is really to look after the little guys and now it seems they cant do that anymore without getting thrown out of the game, i think the league bord needs to have talks, pull their heads out of their behinds and look at where their going wrong before they kill our sportquote]

Everywhere apart from Sheffield

The Big D men are used to playing a hard hitting physical game and now have to adjust their style of play to suit the SSIHL

The players can still play a hard hitting physical game, the current problems arose when players crossed the line. Voth slashed the player and was penalised, Kozak hit a player while he was lying on the ice after already being hit then preceded to skate through his blood and of course Thornton was charged with slashing and reckless use of the stick.

There's no league in the world where you would get away with those sort of actions, so to say they have to change their style of play is in my opinion wrong. A good check or hit against the boards is fine, a fair fight between 2 willing competitors wont get you banned.

Also if you look at the results and the league table at the minute the so called "instigators" of all the trouble aren't exactly benefiting from it.

davew

I found this interesting article on the CBC website :

"Do the off-season work, earn trust
September 30, 2008 05:40 PM | Posted by Marc Crawford Comments0Recommend15

When my father was a young hockey player in the Canadiens’ system during the Frank Selke era, he was training one summer day in the park near his home in Toronto’s west end.

It was 6 a.m. and he was running with his dog doing sprints up and down the hills as directed by Lloyd Percival, the father of hockey conditioning. The police showed up and the Irish officers, suspecting that my father might be up to no good, asked: “Now laddy, what might you be doing?

My dad explained that he was “training for hockey.” Well, the officers were rolling on the ground with laughter. “Training for hockey? In July … oh, that’s a good one.”

In 2008, we all have a greater understanding of what is normal when it comes to our NHL heroes and their fitness regimens.

Playing in NHL a 12-month job

Most of today’s athletes are tremendously dedicated and understand full well that playing in the NHL is a 12-month job. They know that the off-season is the time when they can make strength and conditioning gains. They have all been given extensive summer conditioning programs by their respective teams that outline step by step exactly what needs to be done, and, almost all of them will have hired their own personal trainers who help them with the detailed workouts.

I know in L.A., for example, we made sure that the players reported in to the strength coach each week of the summer by email or by phone, and we would make sure they would get a special visit if we suspected any red flags.

So how is it that any player in this day and age would even think about coming to camp in anything other than prime condition? A great question, yes, but let me tell you it happens, as evident by Kyle Wellwood’s situation in Vancouver. I’m sure there are other players in the same circumstance that aren’t so public.

Why it happens and what coaches do about it are better questions.

In the old days of the six-team league, teams would have six weeks of extensive training leading into the season giving players a chance to play their way into shape.

Conditioning exposed in a hurry

Nowadays, training camps are short with exhibition games starting only three days after the start. The majority of players are physically ready for the season because the conditioning bar is at a very high level. Players who haven’t done the work in the off-season are exposed pretty quickly.

Players are given standards that they have to meet. They get tested for their aerobic, anaerobic, strength and flexibility levels. When they don’t meet the standards they are embarrassed and, more importantly, their teammates know that they haven’t put in the work that will allow them to excel.

It’s a matter of trust. When a player loses a strength battle that results in a scoring chance, or a goalie can’t get to a rebound because his body-fat percentage is 23, his teammates aren’t too thrilled with him. Doubt in a player’s commitment is an awful thing in a team sport like hockey.

Most teammates are very supportive, especially if they see effort. Effort like extra work on the ice or in the gym after practice, or seeing a player gutting it out as he tries to make up for training indiscretions.

Regaining trust vital for team chemistry

I chose to deal with situations like this by instituting early morning extra workouts involving biking programs and extra skating for the offending players. It forced them to gradually enhance their fitness level while allowing the normal teaching and systems work to continue. The workout became affectionately known by the players as the “Fat Club.”

In this day of political correctness that may shock some of you, but the NHL is a difficult place to earn a living. If it wasn’t, everyone would be playing there. The players, for the most part, understood that they were the ones that screwed up by not doing the work in the off-season. I believe strongly regaining the trust of your teammates is vital for team morale and chemistry.

A player may be able to fool the fans, the media, even the coaching staff but they can never, and I mean never, fool the teammates who see them everyday in the sanctity of the dressing room.

Wellwood, like so many others, will have an opportunity to regain the trust of his new Canuck teammates and, in a funny way, he may enhance his own self esteem by putting in the extra work and therefore feeling better about his own conditioning level.

Great teams have elite conditioning as a trademark of their play. Great players demand it of themselves and their teammates. Coaches can push, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the player. A great fitness level will allow the individual player to contribute to team success. And, when you have those elements working within a team, you’ve really got something special."

This regime, in the modern era at least, sees the difference between championship winning sides and the also rans in most leagues in the world...

glenngiant said:

The players can still play a hard hitting physical game, the current problems arose when players crossed the line. Voth slashed the player and was penalised, Kozak hit a player while he was lying on the ice after already being hit then preceded to skate through his blood and of course Thornton was charged with slashing and reckless use of the stick.

There's no league in the world where you would get away with those sort of actions, so to say they have to change their style of play is in my opinion wrong. A good check or hit against the boards is fine, a fair fight between 2 willing competitors wont get you banned.

Also if you look at the results and the league table at the minute the so called "instigators" of all the trouble aren't exactly benefiting from it.
I am not advocating that players who break rules should not be punished,
what i do have an issue with is other clubs / owners / media mongrels stirring and spinning to create a more hostile environment for the players,
and trying to influence the outcome of disciplinary committees by trail by media or just general muck stirring. Why allow players to have press releases during a review of an incident?

It's good to have a healthy rivalry, but not to create an atmosphere of bitter resentment towards a club doing a great deal better under newer and more professional management
Sheffield squeeled for a tough resolution to the cardiff and hull incidents and got it with a suspicion of knowing the outcome of the punishments before being released to the rest of the clubs.

this is always going to be problem whilst the leagues officials are too close to the entrenched and incumbant owners and whilst the league itself is just an extension of the officiating body for Ice Hockey in the UK.

Belfasts administration where all in favour of this new get tough regime only to be on the receiving end. Even Giants' supporters can't agree on the severity of Thorntons ban.

Severity and inconsistency is the problem, along with the sudden "get tough" attitude of the league which was "SQUEELED" for by one club in particular.

Brad Voth got a 24 match ban (yes 12 suspended, but 24 in total), Thornton received 9? Which incident was worse?

If they change this stance during their review next week that that becmoes very infair on Cardiff, Hull, Basingstoke and Belfast....

The point that most people are making on this forum is that there are now precedents set that will require the league to remain tough and consistent on all offences. This will water down and nueter the playing style of the teams and create problems for coaches during roster recruitemnt for next season.

It also means that there are far more politics than sport in the elite league, and that there is no such thing as a level playing field between clubs when they meet each other on the ice
And, after all, the on ice action is far more important to the fans, supporters and sponsors

Thread starter #9
Reggie Dunlop said:
The point that most people are making on this forum is that there are now precedents set that will require the league to remain tough and consistent on all offences. This will water down and nueter the playing style of the teams and create problems for coaches during roster recruitemnt for next season.

It also means that there are far more politics than sport in the elite league, and that there is no such thing as a level playing field between clubs when they meet each other on the ice
And, after all, the on ice action is far more important to the fans, supporters and sponsors

And who is to say that the clubs all recruit small skillful rosters and the Sheffield recruit big bruisers and have the goalposts moved again. Consistency is needed and not just over qne season to suit one club