The State of the Inferno Address

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
ORIGINALLY POSTED 15th FEB 22
As people have asked here's a brief run down of what it takes to keep the Inferno up and running. I tend to be terribly British about it and don't like to push for funding but any help is appreciated. Firstly we have no intention of going anywhere. With the changes in internet habits I was really unsure if there was still room or a need for forums like this a few years ago. Twitter and improved web streams obviously removed the need for running Match Night Live and Facebook seemed to be taking a lot of the conversation too. We have however endured and increased our active user base. Crowds increasing in number by a thousand has probably helped this. Server costs for the Inferno are £30 a month. We have had sponsors in the past cover this, and owe a debt of thanks to Jon and G at Red Army Travel for covering this for a number of years. Subsequently we've been paying for it. It is possibility not the most cost effective hosting but when we were running MNL we were basically inviting the equivalent of a denial of service (DDOS) attack on our server every game so needed a beefy set up to deal with that. We don't have that surge any more but general traffic has risen in some way to meet the volume. We don't pay a monthly fee to XenForo as fortunately I can deal with the day to day server stuff, we do however update our licence every couple of years which I think is around the £100-120 mark which allows us to update the code-base. On top of that the only expense is the domain name which I think is around £15 a year. Again cheaper domain name options are available but you do get what you pay for, even with domain names. (Top tip - buy your domains from Gandi and you'll never go wrong)

Like I said at the top of the post, we have no intention of going anywhere as long as people are still interacting on here. We have dropped a lot of the other stuff we did (podcasts, interviews, reviews etc) just because the club is doing a lot more in a lot better way than the Burge and Ragan eras where we were filling the gap. As Chris mentioned the Two Ales Podcast is doing a great job with player interviews. Having said that if anyone wishes to throw us a few pence towards the hosting costs that would be gratefully received. The front page donation link does still work, someone did kindly use it last month but it was the first in years. No one is expected to donate though, by continuing to post on here you are ensuring the continuation of the forum in a very real way.
Cheers - Chris and James

Last edited:

Wannabe2

So if 15 of us pay £2 per month equivalent of 50p per week in a one of yearly payment of £24 we could pick the expense of the server cost up between us. I am certainly up for that as this expense shouldn’t be down to someone who is good enough to carry that cost, and give their time for our enjoyment. If more of us contribute maybe we can also pick up the £15 for the domain name. Who’s is in guys.

Wannabe2

Okay I am all paid up, thank you Chris and James,without good people like you guys we would be a lot poorer. I will also try to be better behaved.

Samael

I remember when l first joined the inferno before it had the face-lift and was the way we see it today, l was quite rude regarding the donate section as it was far more prominent and l described it as begging for money. To James and Chris l apologise for that. I had no idea of the server costs and in my nievety thought a website like this could be started for the price of a few pints and a take away. Anyway, l've made a donation, l agree with Wannabe for once, the cost to fund this forum should be spread across the fan base who use it, not just on one or two individual fans who were generous enough to start it in the first place. I'm glad it exists as a place where fans can voice an opinion without heavy handed moderation and all views are accepted even if we don't all agree all the time.

Slartibartfast

I prefer a one off payment rather than monthly (only because I will forget what it is on my bank statement in 2 years time and convince myself Im being defrauded ). So instead I have paid this years domain name.
Thank you for the wonderful job you do.

Rob Batch

As people have asked here's a brief run down of what it takes to keep the Inferno up and running. I tend to be terribly British about it and don't like to push for funding but any help is appreciated. Firstly we have no intention of going anywhere. With the changes in internet habits I was really unsure if there was still room or a need for forums like this a few years ago. Twitter and improved web streams obviously removed the need for running Match Night Live and Facebook seemed to be taking a lot of the conversation too. We have however endured and increased our active user base. Crowds increasing in number by a thousand has probably helped this. Server costs for the Inferno are £30 a month. We have had sponsors in the past cover this, and owe a debt of thanks to Jon and G at Red Army Travel for covering this for a number of years. Subsequently we've been paying for it. It is possibility not the most cost effective hosting but when we were running MNL we were basically inviting the equivalent of a denial of service (DDOS) attack on our server every game so needed a beefy set up to deal with that. We don't have that surge any more but general traffic has risen in some way to meet the volume. We don't pay a monthly fee to XenForo as fortunately I can deal with the day to day server stuff, we do however update our licence every couple of years which I think is around the £100-120 mark which allows us to update the code-base. On top of that the only expense is the domain name which I think is around £15 a year. Again cheaper domain name options are available but you do get what you pay for, even with domain names. (Top tip - buy your domains from Gandi and you'll never go wrong)

Like I said at the top of the post, we have no intention of going anywhere as long as people are still interacting on here. We have dropped a lot of the other stuff we did (podcasts, interviews, reviews etc) just because the club is doing a lot more in a lot better way than the Burge and Ragan eras where we were filling the gap. As Chris mentioned the Two Ales Podcast is doing a great job with player interviews. Having said that if anyone wishes to throw us a few pence towards the hosting costs that would be gratefully received. The front page donation link does still work, someone did kindly use it last month but it was the first in years. No one is expected to donate though, by continuing to post on here you are ensuring the continuation of the forum in a very real way.
Cheers - Chris and James
If it was a £10 donation that was me. I wondered if you got it. Surprised it was first in years !