This team

Again agree totally with the idea but also think there are counter arguments. Crawford was for along time the dominant D man offensively in the league. I know many Devils fans don’t buy that but the stat sheet def pointed in that direction. And his partner was Thompson. The same as Ritchie partnered Hoth and Fournier to defencemen of the year so did Thompson this year. Do you or don’t you break up that pairing?

With Jardine out for so long the other three got thrown into a rotation and generally did well but as you say returning to 6 D meant trying to get Jardine back to being a league leading D and that meant partnering with Ritchie who we know is historically the leagues best D partner. Leaves you Batchy and Lou who can and were an effective pairing.

I get where you are coming from but also think there is sound basis for what played out. To label it as rookie mistakes would I think be a misrepresentation.
Imho, the apparent unwillingness to attempt to change the Defensive pairings even if it’s only for a couple of shifts within a period, is an identifiable issue that Messrs DuPont and Horn would be well advised to consider in their future coaching careers.

When I first started coaching, a good few years back now, I was taught, “if you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got” - basically saying that change is necessary and that no two games can or should be approached in exactly the same way. I’m not convinced that that wasn’t absolutely evident with a number of Devils games played this season. Plenty to learn from indeed, but from the Devils perspective under a coach with greater experience.

In games where liberties start being taken with your own sides more skilful players, then having the willingness to change when patrol your “heavies” (no disrespect to Louis and Batch), could possibly have had a more effective outcome on a number of occasions, when it “seemed” that the bench were happy with cheap shots being taken against our skilful players. It was only towards the end of the season that any leash was relinquished, but again imho, that may have been way to late in the season to warn opponent cheap shot merchants from plying any of their skullduggery.

Making planned or on the hoof changes in lines alters the perception of the opposition offence. At pro level hockey, players should be comfortable playing alongside any others in the squad - Yes I get that some lines have greater chemistry, but the the lack or unwillingness to make changes during the season are the sort of misjudgement that are more familiar with rookie coaches, than with those with greater experience.

Finny

I too found it very odd that when we were struggling defensively we didn't change it up.

For the past decade the rule has basically been "work out who is your best offensive Dman - and stick Richardson next to him".
Yet I don't think we ever did try that?
Some coaches like a lefty with a righty but if you're giving up too many defensive mistakes something has to change surely?

kingmo19.1

Imho, the apparent unwillingness to attempt to change the Defensive pairings even if it’s only for a couple of shifts within a period, is an identifiable issue that Messrs DuPont and Horn would be well advised to consider in their future coaching careers.

When I first started coaching, a good few years back now, I was taught, “if you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got” - basically saying that change is necessary and that no two games can or should be approached in exactly the same way. I’m not convinced that that wasn’t absolutely evident with a number of Devils games played this season. Plenty to learn from indeed, but from the Devils perspective under a coach with greater experience.

In games where liberties start being taken with your own sides more skilful players, then having the willingness to change when patrol your “heavies” (no disrespect to Louis and Batch), could possibly have had a more effective outcome on a number of occasions, when it “seemed” that the bench were happy with cheap shots being taken against our skilful players. It was only towards the end of the season that any leash was relinquished, but again imho, that may have been way to late in the season to warn opponent cheap shot merchants from plying any of their skullduggery.

Making planned or on the hoof changes in lines alters the perception of the opposition offence. At pro level hockey, players should be comfortable playing alongside any others in the squad - Yes I get that some lines have greater chemistry, but the the lack or unwillingness to make changes during the season are the sort of misjudgement that are more familiar with rookie coaches, than with those with greater experience.
Haha, you should apply! Mind if I ask who you coached previously?