thornton

Thread starter #1
Belfast Giants' Thornton left in limbo by ban delay

Steve Thornton’s appeal against his massive nine-match suspension has been put on ice.

The Belfast Giants have yet to be given an indication of when the appeal will be heard — because the league have yet to set down rules governing appeals.

And that will leave Thornton facing Manchester Phoenix and Coventry Blaze in an away double-header this weekend with the ban still hanging over him.

He can play while waiting for the appeal to be heard, which is just as well given the fact that it is likely to be this time next week before the committee convenes.

The league hit the Belfast Giants coach with the record ban — the biggest suspension handed out to a single player for a single offence — last week after a clash with Newcastle Vipers’ Andre Payette and the north-east side immediately sent the game tape to be reviewed by the disciplinary committee.

“We have lodged our appeal against Steve’s suspension,” confirmed Giants’ general manager Todd Kelman.

“We haven’t been told by the league yet when the appeal will be, but I don’t expect it to be in the very near future.

“I have to go to a league meeting on Wednesday and on the agenda is discussions over the overall appeals process

rocketroy said:
“I have to go to a league meeting on Wednesday and on the agenda is discussions over the overall appeals process
That should be interesting, weighing up the extra income generated by appeals against the damage they are doing to the sport

rocketroy said:
“We have lodged our appeal against Steve’s suspension,” confirmed Giants’ general manager Todd Kelman.

“We haven’t been told by the league yet when the appeal will be, but I don’t expect it to be in the very near future.

Kelman must be a fantastic driver - able to look forwards and backwards at the same time. ;)

I'm confused....

rocketroy said:
Belfast Giants' Thornton left in limbo by ban delay

Steve Thornton’s appeal against his massive nine-match suspension has been put on ice.

The Belfast Giants have yet to be given an indication of when the appeal will be heard — because the league have yet to set down rules governing appeals.
Why isn't Brad and Kozak still playing then? Why is it different for Thorntons appeal as opposed to everyone elses?

rocketroy said:

how many offences have we had this season? How many appeals have we has this season?

why is it different now? Yes I know this meeting was arranged... but is this an admission that here has never been an appeals process in place? therefore how can players at Cardiff, Hull and Basingstoke have gone through an "appeals" process and still be banned if there is no rules to govern the appeals process?

Kelman - you supported heavy penalties, why is it now different for one of your players? YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE for even asking for an appeal for Thornton after your summary judgement of Brad Voth before his appeal.

This is still further proof that the Elite League did not think through their get tough strategy before it was squeeled for... or was it just simply a knee jerk reaction to the Squeelers baying for blood off the Ice? oh OK it was just jerk reaction then :D

Thornton appeal seems to be delayed due to the meeting to review the penalty tariffs, by right the ban should stand unless voths and kozaks ban is radicaly reduced otherwise it wouldn't be fair on the pair, hope that helps

If he has a major say in the outcome of tomorrow's (well, today's) Cup game then we'll cry bloody murder, I tell you. It's a disgrace. I just hope the ban overhanging him will knock his game a little, but I can't see it.