Thoughts are with Adam Johnson, Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers

drainage

I'm still lost for words and completely rattled by this incredibly awful event. As someone that's been involved in the sport since I was three years old and with a son still actively playing, I'm shaken with what has happened. So sorry for the Johnson family and everyone that was close to him. Any sport played with sharp objects at high pace inherently comes with a degree of risk but nobody has ever seen something like this happen and I hope it never happens again.

We have been meeting with each player on the Devils as well as their significant others to make sure that they have all of the resources for their mental health that they need. We have also secured neck protection for each player as well. We have also been working behind the scenes to ensure that the league and all of its teams make a meaningful gesture to pay respects to Adam. I pray we never have another incident like this in the sport we all love.
Didn’t doubt for a moment our guys would be looked after , thank you for making it happen. I also pray this never happens again have been shaken to the core by this , my thoughts go to all who knew and loved Adam as well as those who sadly witnessed it.

drainage

In the light of what happened last weekend I can see the clubs stepping up on first aid and help if needed , I know it was a freak accident and the outcome was terrible for all concerned, I'm a bit worried of our first aid facilities as a girl got hit by a puck in a block by myself, the girl photographer went to see if the girl was OK, fine with that, then JD done the same again, then 2 guys from security done exactly the same...but no sign of a first aider or st John's ambulance in sight, thankfully the girl wasn't injured and didn't need medical attention, but is it available I wonder ...just saying
I took a puck to the head in the BBT resulted in 34 stitches , I was well looked after and helped. Cannot fault the help I got no idea what happened when you witnessed it but as someone who got clobbered can’t fault the staff in rink

Imp

Would renaming the Challenge Cup The Johnson Memorial be a terrible idea?
In the moment, maybe not. I'm not really against it but I do think it's a bit knee-jerk: "Rename the trophy", "Every team should retire the his number". It is the right sentiment. I'm not convinced that it is the right thing to do.

A few months, perhaps a year - optimistically, a couple of years - from now when people go back to bitching about the Challenge Cup being a tin-pot consolation prize... then it doesn't look quite so much the honour that people were hoping for in the moment. Even in the best case, it feels more like a memorial rather than a legacy.

Understandably people want a legacy, something meaningful in exchange for a future that disappeared in a moment. In America, with American money, that legacy may well come in the form of a scholarship. It's not as immediate as renaming a trophy, but it always carries the potential of young players build successful careers as direct continuation of one that was snatched away.

Unfortunately, I don't think UK game has the financial resources or the top-to-bottom infrastructure for a direct analogue to a US Sports scholarship in memory of a player.

Trophies are nice though, and something for younger players offers the opportunity of a genuine ongoing legacy within the game.

If there is to be an Adam Johnson trophy, I like the idea of a youth game: Nottingham vs Sheffield, on the Sunday morning of the POFW, with the entire league in attendance. 23 players on each roster ... making Adam Johnson #47.

Every year the league looks for a better use of POFW's Sunday morning. Logistically, youth finals have (I believe) always been considered a problem. A memorial 'Nottingham vs Sheffield' game may be less difficult to stage and the two (probably?) have the greatest infrastructure in terms of young player development anyway. 46 players, each year, given their first opportunity to play in front of several thousand fans, seems like a legacy.

Earnie

Both James and I have proposed changing Challenge Cup name to remember the name of Adam Johnson. A version of what Imp proposes above is worthy of consideration also and might get rid of the 3 v 4 game in the process!

pjj365

This is on Vivienne and posted on FB

The Nottingham Panthers fundraiser has been launched to raise money for the 'Love for Hibbing and Hockey Memorial Fund' - supporting local charitable activities in Hibbing (Adam Johnson's home town), as chosen by his family.

Please donate, if you can ❤️

➡️ gofund.me/0a269b5b

Gisland

I We have also been working behind the scenes to ensure that the league and all of its teams make a meaningful gesture to pay respects to Adam.
I would be astounded and shocked if any EIHL team needed you to remind them a gesture is needed and that it should be meaningful. Surely this would come as second nature, paying tribute to one of their own. I remember the rinks remembering Andre Payette. They were very touching.

Legin

I would be astounded and shocked if any EIHL team needed you to remind them a gesture is needed and that it should be meaningful. Surely this would come as second nature, paying tribute to one of their own. I remember the rinks remembering Andre Payette. They were very touching.
I think the idea is all teams have a similar tribute not that any team needed reminding

I think you have misinterpreted Steve's comment.

moggy#9

In the moment, maybe not. I'm not really against it but I do think it's a bit knee-jerk: "Rename the trophy", "Every team should retire the his number". It is the right sentiment. I'm not convinced that it is the right thing to do.

A few months, perhaps a year - optimistically, a couple of years - from now when people go back to bitching about the Challenge Cup being a tin-pot consolation prize... then it doesn't look quite so much the honour that people were hoping for in the moment. Even in the best case, it feels more like a memorial rather than a legacy.

Understandably people want a legacy, something meaningful in exchange for a future that disappeared in a moment. In America, with American money, that legacy may well come in the form of a scholarship. It's not as immediate as renaming a trophy, but it always carries the potential of young players build successful careers as direct continuation of one that was snatched away.

Unfortunately, I don't think UK game has the financial resources or the top-to-bottom infrastructure for a direct analogue to a US Sports scholarship in memory of a player.

Trophies are nice though, and something for younger players offers the opportunity of a genuine ongoing legacy within the game.

If there is to be an Adam Johnson trophy, I like the idea of a youth game: Nottingham vs Sheffield, on the Sunday morning of the POFW, with the entire league in attendance. 23 players on each roster ... making Adam Johnson #47.

Every year the league looks for a better use of POFW's Sunday morning. Logistically, youth finals have (I believe) always been considered a problem. A memorial 'Nottingham vs Sheffield' game may be less difficult to stage and the two (probably?) have the greatest infrastructure in terms of young player development anyway. 46 players, each year, given their first opportunity to play in front of several thousand fans, seems like a legacy.
A very sensible post. I'm sure that after careful consideration a worthwhile and sustainable memorial can be put in place within the British game.

Earnie

I guess it will sell well at this time and funds may be needed sooner rather than later.
Sell some more at Playoffs. Ok by me.

Diablo3

Not sure how Saturday is going to be for me. Probably subdued hoping nothing goes wrong. It's going to take a while before we get back to where we were.

MA18

Not sure how Saturday is going to be for me. Probably subdued hoping nothing goes wrong. It's going to take a while before we get back to where we were.
I certainly think it will be subdued tomorrow and maybe for another week or two. It won’t feel right for fans or players and I think we’ll see a passive game with emotion and probably some fear on and off the ice.

Sadly if not tragically, the incident was a freak. When you look at all the minutes of hockey played around the globe this is the first we’ve heard of a fatality (I understand that will never be enough for Adam, friends and family) and it’s extremely unlikely it will happen again, especially if measures such as neck guards are put in place over time.