U21 4th Line

Thread starter #1
Thommo raised this on twitter a few weeks ago and I think it's a cracking idea :D

It's built around two very different, but equally important reasons IMO.

1. Introducing the 4th line allows for consistent high intensity, physical hockey - the way it should be played! Right now with 3 forward lines even the most competitive games include a number of shifts where understandably players aren't going at 100%. I'd argue that this season the majority of shifts in most games haven't been contested at less than 100% from both teams involved.

In short - 4 lines allows for a vastly improved product.

2. It encourages the development of our home grown players, exposing them to the highest level at an earlier stage. This season we've seen how the likes of Harding, Batch and Burrows have benefitted from increased ice time due to our injuries. It would be great if this was the case regardless of injuries. The Devils have un-earthed some real potential this season. this could only be good for the strength of the game and crucially team GB - which IMO is the key to any significant increased coverage, financial backing the sport can obtain.

Finally I'd add that a minimum number of 4th line shifts should be agreed at the start of the season to ensure it's a success :D

The system works for those who want the import limit to remain at 10 and for those who want to see the game in the UK develop. (Although if it helped develop players it would allow import numbers to drop while maintaining quality)

I'd love to see this introduced for next season. What does everyone else think?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me, in fact I can't think of anything negative or opposed to the idea,
Certainly would be an excellent opportunity to develop and improve home grown talent. Would you have to reduce the import level to compensate the extra salaries? From 10 to 8 perhaps?

TheStub

I saw that tweet, and love the idea.

This is essentially where we started this season, and rolling 4 lines was great to watch.

If all the teams did this, we would see a great increase in the pace of the hockey.

kettdevil1

Another supporter here although, there are a few practical issues that need addressing:
* What impact will this have on the ENL teams?
* Should a rule be introduced stopping bigger teams hoovering up u21s from other teams rather than investing in youth development
* What are the penalties for not doing this?
* What happens when a team is short benched?

Watching Hull roll just 2 lines on Saturday was a little depressing - this might be a way of stopping this.

Thread starter #5
kettdevil1 said:
Another supporter here although, there are a few practical issues that need addressing:
* What impact will this have on the ENL teams?
* Should a rule be introduced stopping bigger teams hoovering up u21s from other teams rather than investing in youth development
* What are the penalties for not doing this?
* What happens when a team is short benched?

Watching Hull roll just 2 lines on Saturday was a little depressing - this might be a way of stopping this.
Some very good points and I fear it may prove too 'difficult' for the league to enforce.

Personally I feel the enl teams (at least those that are affiliated with elite clubs) should be a development team. For me, it's primary goal (for those affiliated) should be to develop elite league players and it's success should be judged on that rather than how many games it wins. Not sure on the politics of this though? - hopefully there isn't any :D

I don't yet have a strong opinion on your second issue (as good a point as it is) - perhaps if the players were semi-proffessional or on part-time contracts this wouldn't become an issue? Ideally I believe the players should come from the home club or at least not from another eihl club.

I'd like to think all teams would buy into this for the good of the game (probably living in dreamland :lol: )

I suppose the only way to ensure a 4th line remains is to impose that restriction. So, if an u21 is promoted due to another's injury it gives someone else a chance from the enl. If it's through quality of play it would be a good way of giving an import or two a kick up the backside if you demoted them to the 4th line for a few shifts! :D