UK team in the KHL

Ocko

Thread starter #1
Story emerging from the KHL all star game that an application has been made by a team in the UK to enter the KHL next year.

Great news of true; the KHL is massive - a runaway second best to the NHL.

Personally can't see any current team having the financial backing for such a thing so my money would be on a new team starting with funding from someone new. And at a guess playing from the O2. Not the Wembley team IMO as Black doesn't have the wealth for KHL hockey.

very interesting! where did you see this? :)

Would this undermine the EIHL though? or maybe improve the image of hockey in this country.

DevilDom

Given the amount of Russian money now in London this is not as far fetched a possibility as it first sounds. Add in the fact there could be quite a large number of people from Europe living in London who would go and watch such a team it is probably very viable.

Personally I think it can only be good thing in raising the profile of the sport and may lead to a feeder team playing in our league if it comes off.

Ocko

Thread starter #4
Lee92 said:
very interesting! where did you see this? :)

Would this undermine the EIHL though? or maybe improve the image of hockey in this country.
KHL official press release and twitter in a statement said an application has been made.

Can't be a bad thing. Would almost certainly be a London team so it wouldn't hurt to roll the dice and see how it goes. Wouldn't harm the EIHL unless its in direct competition to an existing franchise.

I did read a really good article about he possibility of a team a few mo the back. If I can find it I'll post it. Talking about where would suit the team best. Personally I'd love to see KHL over here

Ibbz9

It has been bounced around for several years. Prior to the set up of the KHL, my Father was approached by representatives of the LA Kings and Anschutz about possible locations of a team. London commercially was the ideal location. Anschutz had previous dealings there but the downside was the lack of ice arena. The O2 was deemed too big of a financial risk if the novelty wore off. Nottingham was obviously the best facility and had good finances in place. Birmingham and the NEC was also explored as an option. Nothing really came of it as the KHL took off in Russia rather than an Elite European League which was the concept back in the early 2000s.

I should point out that we have no financial clout or pull in UK hockey. One of our good friends happened to be head of European Scouting for the LA Kings at the time. It was a side project of his and also opened up the possibility of the UK team becoming a farm team for LA. We happened to be a good source of info for him.

It will be interesting to see what happens and indeed if it is sustainable.