Vipers Roster

steve

Thread starter #1
Newcastle have lost Rooneem and Kindle, and say they can't afford to bring in replacements. Theres also a couple of guy's injured, and now they've lost Longstaff for up to 6 weeks.

How long before we see Rob 'write the theme tune, sing the theme tune' Wilson back on the ice?

Not great news for the league though.

wildthing74

Bet you're right.He's lacing them up for that fan appreciation game or whatever it is? so bet that will be his cue to start playing again.
Wonder if they will be around next year at this level,especially with the move to Whitley.

TheStub

It can't be good to see them loosing key guys - but they have been really struggling with attendances for a good few seasons now.

It's a shame.

Watched the highlights for the giants vs vipers game last week and was amazed at how small attendence there was, its not really suprising they cant afford replacements.
It is worrying how unstable newcastle vipers and hull stingrays seem to be, could we really continue with this league if there was only 6 teams?

Gazza272

nmase20 said:
Watched the highlights for the giants vs vipers game last week and was amazed at how small attendence there was, its not really suprising they cant afford replacements.
It is worrying how unstable newcastle vipers and hull stingrays seem to be, could we really continue with this league if there was only 6 teams?

Hull are ok due to being allegedly propped up by another teams owner in order to ice every year, Edinburgh worry me though, although realistically i cant see what other options they have other than the EIHL.

I skated at whitley Bay ice rink the last time devils played up there and it is a desperate place, im not surprised that attendances have dropped. Having family in the area i attend most devils games up there however im reluctant to go to the next one.

nmase20 said:
If the league went down to 6 teams expect there to be big budgets and no import limits. Only a very high level of hockey would keep me interested in a league with only 6 teams.

A

Anonymous

El Supremo said:
nmase20 said:
If the league went down to 6 teams expect there to be big budgets and no import limits. Only a very high level of hockey would keep me interested in a league with only 6 teams.
As long as the Devils are in it I don't care if there's 4 teams. Why would the standard of hockey drop with 6 teams instead of 8?

kettdevil1

The problem is that the lower the number of teams, the more repetitive the league. We play Coventry enough already, imagine playing them twice as much...

Back on topic.... What have attendances been like at Whitley? I saw in Powerplay that there were 1100 there the other week, has that been typical? A shame if it is because it was always a great place to go, rather dilapidated but full of character

TheDevilTorn said:
El Supremo said:
nmase20 said:
As long as the Devils are in it I don't care if there's 4 teams. Why would the standard of hockey drop with 6 teams instead of 8?
The standard wouldn't drop, in fact it would increase as each team could have more quality Brits. However, I would get very bored watching the same team play every 3 or 4 weeks.

I thought you said there would be big budgets and no import limit. Meaning teams wouldn't bother with the Brits when they could get imports of the same if not better standard.

Also what makes you think that the Brits that are around would just spread out into the remaining teams? I'm sure lots of them are settled where they are, have family etc. Thats probably the reason why we have Stevie Lyle as he wanted to come home as his family live here. Lots would probably stay loyal to the teams that they are already with, who would either join the EPL or form a new (better) league.

Also it would probably see the average British players demanding stupid wages, which is what's happened in football. There's no import limit there, and so the few British players remaining go for stupid prices forcing managers to look for foreign players of the same quality for a lot cheaper.

And if as you say there would be big budgets that would mean that ticket prices would probably increase. Haven't people on this forum already this year said that they can't afford to go to all games this year because the tickets are expensive? Despite the fact that its a good price for Elite League hockey. A big budget, no import limit league would probably cost more to watch than what you're paying now.

I do believe though that its probably not worth the bother in debating whether a 6 team league would be good for British hockey. Because surely people can't seriously want or believe that could possibly be a good idea.

Look what happened to the Superleague when all the teams started to disappear. In the time we dropped to the BNL I really enjoyed the games as there were a variety of teams and it was exciting again playing different teams every week. Of course I'd prefer to be in the top league, but when we dropped to the BNL thats where our rivalry with Coventry started, our friendship with Basingstoke, also we took a coach load of fans (maybe more) to Dundee (I think it was) on a week night! Does that happen now?

The more teams the better in my eyes, and I'd love to see teams like Manchester, Basingstoke, Guildford, Dundee, Bracknell, Fife etc playing in our league. I don't think that no import limit and big budgets is going to help hockey in this country at all, and certainly wouldn't encourage teams like the ones mentioned to join.

Wannabe2

Got to agree with all these points, the game in this country cannot sustain huge budgets, and a smaller league would be suicidal, if anything we need to get to 10 teams not less. Unfortunately i cant see that happening in the near future.

A

Anonymous

Wannabe2 said:
Got to agree with all these points, the game in this country cannot sustain huge budgets, and a smaller league would be suicidal, if anything we need to get to 10 teams not less. Unfortunately i cant see that happening in the near future.
Can the two British leagues not merge ?