WEBCAST

Thread starter #1
Couldn't make last night's game, so decided to buy the webcast.

Credit where credit is due, it was brilliant. great coverage, replays in the breaks, the showing of the intro video. no buffering, no loss of sound or picture, a truly great service,
And what's more it was a very good price.

compared to others around the league, I feel this was far superior.

Well done icetime.tv

Skippy

I'm always wary of suggesting other teams webcasts as its hard to know how good they are but the Devils one is brilliant.

With regards other teams webcasts who's are good and who's are bad / poor / un-watchable ?

Edinburgh is from what I saw at the weekend awful.

Devil94

Most of them are quite good now. Commentary aside, the Belfast, Sheffield, Coventry webcasts are excellent, Dundee very good, Edinburgh and Fife are the worst for video/sound quality.

Wannabe2

We have the lousiest position to film our games, but the best Cameraman with the best gear, if you think ours is pretty neat, wait till we get in the new gaff, it will be the finest in the league.

Devil_Abroad

I have to agree the Capitals video quality wasn't good and the sound was awful - their commentators weren't bad though. I won't spend £10 for that again.

Icetime.tv is amazing as long as you don't have Sky basic broadband which is pants - unfortunately I may have to change to Virgin - is that worth it though........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Which Sky broadband? I have the basic which gives me anything between 2.6 to 3.8 download speed - ends up in buffering when watching the quality HD transmission of Icetime.tv

KaneDevils

Which one i'm not sure. Think I pay around £20pm for the internet.
Ive had it around 18 months and its been near perfect. They don't hassle you either like other providers.

I played Battlefield last night for hours, during peak time. My connection was top drawer, and is 99.9% of the time if I'm honest.

Lots of things can affect your connection, its not always down to your ISP being rubbish. I was with BT before, never again!!

James

Administrator
Sky is using ADSL still isnt it, not its own fibre? If its ADSL its still going to be subject to to limits such as your distance from the exchange, unless your area has been upgraded to fibre to cabinet and i've no idea how that rollout is progressing.

Nrm

I have sky (although fiber now but standard last season) and have been able to on multiple occasions watch the stream on laptop whilst playing online games on PS4 with no buffer issue. I've just set up a new ASUS router which has very good wireless speeds so it will be an improvement again

Devil_Abroad

I have no connection issues - Sky have been good (apart from outrageous increases in line rental) - however I'm apparently on ADSL and though the performance was increased a couple of years ago I'm too far from the exchange for them to do anything - appears they're in the hands of BT. And I live 25 miles from the centre of London doh

Hence my reluctance in probably having to move to Virgin (I swore I would never ever ever go back to NTL)

I am also with Sky and don't have fibre optic. I have purchased about 3 ice time broadcasts and 1 Sheffield. The 1st game was awful as used my iPad and streamed through Apple TV. Hopeless as kept freezing. Sheffield game was better - only froze a few times so I gave ice time tv another go! This time through Google Crone on laptop (as advised). Not bad. Only froze a few times but watchable!
Purchased game Sunday. Absolutely awful. Froze. No picture. Came on and froze again. Shouted at everyone to get off the internet! No effect. Eventually gave up :eek: So disappointing when read everyone else compliments the live stream!
Besides pay extra £25 a month not sure what else I can do!

Devil_Abroad

Whoopie said:
I am also with Sky and don't have fibre optic. I have purchased about 3 ice time broadcasts and 1 Sheffield. The 1st game was awful as used my iPad and streamed through Apple TV. Hopeless as kept freezing. Sheffield game was better - only froze a few times so I gave ice time tv another go! This time through Google Crone on laptop (as advised). Not bad. Only froze a few times but watchable!
Purchased game Sunday. Absolutely awful. Froze. No picture. Came on and froze again. Shouted at everyone to get off the internet! No effect. Eventually gave up :eek: So disappointing when read everyone else compliments the live stream!
Besides pay extra £25 a month not sure what else I can do!
the guys at Icetime.tv are pretty helpful - did you tweet them on the night?

I did contact the Ice Time team. They are very helpful and suggested using the chrome browser and laptop. Because of the compliments of everyone else watching, I assume it must be my Wi fi speed. The fact it has worked (well almost) prompted another purchase.

Will probably have to invest in fibre optic :cry:

KaneDevils

The webcasts on the whole, from my experience anyway, are often temperamental. Sometimes they are great, other times pretty rubbish. I suppose there are many factors for this. I do however think that it's not my internet connection, as it works perfectly well for online gaming and web browsing in general.

Of course, it won't stream as well if your sons downloading a film, the daughters on YouTube and the wife on I player, as this will use up your bandwidth.

They say connecting the router/modem to the main phone socket can make a difference.

Foxy

Couldnt get to the game so watched for the first time. Overall was pleased but my biggest bug bear on streams is the lack of a clock or countdown on penalties. Irritates the life out of me lol

Did tweet and it is on its way :)

James

Administrator
KaneDevils said:
The webcasts on the whole, from my experience anyway, are often temperamental. Sometimes they are great, other times pretty rubbish. I suppose there are many factors for this. I do however think that it's not my internet connection, as it works perfectly well for online gaming and web browsing in general.

Of course, it won't stream as well if your sons downloading a film, the daughters on YouTube and the wife on I player, as this will use up your bandwidth.

They say connecting the router/modem to the main phone socket can make a difference.
If others are saying the feed is good its almost certainly the connection you are using. Online gaming relies more on the ping rate than the capacity, and most games can take up very little bandwidth. If Netflix is running well you should be able to receive a webstream from a different source fine as long as they are sensible about their compression. With ADSL routers you should always connect the router to the main phone socket otherwise you are opening yourself to the whims of your internal wiring. If its consistently bad, take the main faceplate off the phone socket and there will be an internal plug socket you can use which eliminates the chance the main plug socket is bad :)
One thing to check if you have an old house is how recently the drop cable to your house from the pole has been replaced. I had a problem a couple of houses ago with random drop outs and internet problems on adsl and the wire to the house was over 70 years old and the wind was causing it to disconnect. If you suspect the drop cable is old you can get BT or your provider to replace it for free, they are more likely to do it if you complain of a crackly phone line than a bad ADSL reception though.