Welcome to the world Owen Matzka!

DevilDom

Congratualtions to Scott and Catie and a nice Welsh name too!

Does that mean Matzka will definitely play tomorrow then?

ASHIPP

Lovely news - welcome to the world Owen. :D

Congratulations to Scott and Catie.....and a new little brother for Reese.

p.s. Hope the Club recognise Owen's potential and sign him up to the Devils' Junior Development Programme for the future!

wildthing74

Yeah my first thought was "thank god he can go to scotland now" and second yeah great Welsh name :p Congratulations Scotty and to all tour family.

D

Deleted member 1337

great welsh name, hope to see him down the BBT with a devils jersey on.

mrsw

Congratulations!!! Llongyfarchiadau :Banana
Fantastic choice of name, my son Owen presumes he was named after him, lol!!!

drainage

Any chance Owen can ice tomorrow ! Things looked a bit light out there tonight !! Still we got the points .... Welcome to Welsh ice hockey young master Matzka ! :D

Ocko

Congratulations Scotty.

I hate to be the pedantic one to those who think the Matzkas have named him after his time here... but Owen isnt a Welsh name, it's actually Scottish :?

Jones72

I think you'll probably find that it, like a lot of other current Celtic names, stems from a common older root. I doubt that either the Scottish or Welsh (or Irish) variants are "original".

Jones72

...and, really, the important point is nothing to do with the origin of a name but that the Matzka family's new arrival is healthy and happy, as well as the Matzka family itself. :)

Congratulations!

drainage

Not that it matters but as it's a quiet Sunday morning the world according to Google ! I have an enquiring mind !

A product of the ancient Brythonic Celts of Wales, the name Owens, is from the Welsh personal name Owen or Owain. The Old Welsh forms of this name were Ouen and Ouein and were borrowed from the Latin name Eugenius. This is in turn derived from the Greek name Eugenios, which means well-born or noble. The name was recorded in Wales as early as 926 AD, when Uwen Wenta Cyning was noted.

Owen is an anglicized variant of the Welsh name Owain, and may appear as both a personal name and as a surname (with or without the s as in Owens [son of Owen] ). Owen is cognate with Eugene meaning noble-born.[1][2] The name corresponds with Irish "Eoghan".[1][2] An alternate but less likely origin of the name is with the Celtic name "Esugenos", meaning "engendered of Esos".[1] However scholar Dr. Rachel Bromwich notes that Owein is usually latinized as "Eugenius", "t seems most natural to regard both the Welsh and Irish forms as derivations of the Latin," T.J. Morgan cites Bromwich as commenting.[1] Variants of the name Owen and Owain include "Ewein, Iguein, Owein, Ouein, Ywein, Ywain, Yuein, and Yvain". Owen has also been latinized as "Oenus" and as "Audoenus", which has evolved into another variant Audoen.[1] Patronymics include "Bowen" (from "[a]b Owain")[3] and Owens

Happy Owen facts to all ! :D :D

Gaz G

drainage said:
Not that it matters but as it's a quiet Sunday morning the world according to Google ! I have an enquiring mind !

A product of the ancient Brythonic Celts of Wales, the name Owens, is from the Welsh personal name Owen or Owain. The Old Welsh forms of this name were Ouen and Ouein and were borrowed from the Latin name Eugenius. This is in turn derived from the Greek name Eugenios, which means well-born or noble. The name was recorded in Wales as early as 926 AD, when Uwen Wenta Cyning was noted.

Owen is an anglicized variant of the Welsh name Owain, and may appear as both a personal name and as a surname (with or without the s as in Owens [son of Owen] ). Owen is cognate with Eugene meaning noble-born.[1][2] The name corresponds with Irish "Eoghan".[1][2] An alternate but less likely origin of the name is with the Celtic name "Esugenos", meaning "engendered of Esos".[1] However scholar Dr. Rachel Bromwich notes that Owein is usually latinized as "Eugenius", "t seems most natural to regard both the Welsh and Irish forms as derivations of the Latin," T.J. Morgan cites Bromwich as commenting.[1] Variants of the name Owen and Owain include "Ewein, Iguein, Owein, Ouein, Ywein, Ywain, Yuein, and Yvain". Owen has also been latinized as "Oenus" and as "Audoenus", which has evolved into another variant Audoen.[1] Patronymics include "Bowen" (from "[a]b Owain")[3] and Owens

Happy Owen facts to all ! :D :D

and does he?

Owen Scottish what next.

I can trace my maternal family line for over 600 years and I am Welsh through and through. I can confirm that many versions of Owen appear in most Owen family lines and I welcome another Owen.

OJ

TheStub

Re: Re: Welcome to the world Owen Matzka!

Nott Simpson said:
Owen Scottish what next.

I can trace my maternal family line for over 600 years and I am Welsh through and through. I can confirm that many versions of Owen appear in most Owen family lines and I welcome another Owen.

OJ
Not from Carmarthen all that time? My family is Carmarthen based and goes back that far - we're probably related. :lol:

With in excess of 26,000 people in my Research Family Tree it is likely that there is a connection.

How can I live it down.

OJ

Maridunian Research

TheStub

Just be proud to be related to the great Thomas-Harris clan :lol:

Seriously it is nice for the Matzkas to have a healthy little-un and be going native. Welsh medium education next?

(I can hope that we've trapped him with Welsh charm :D )