Weller off to ...

ASHIPP

A stand-out player to a top team in a top league and he'll be well looked after. Perhaps he took this opportunity while it was available. Despite his calibre, an NHL/AHL call-up might not have been guaranteed.
Well done, Craig. And very best of luck. :cool:

osh

Very surprised to see Weller committing himself so early tbh. He gave the impression during his time here that he would be going back for a shot at an AHL or even NHL team, he didn't give it long before deciding on Europe though. Great player, will easily fit in to the style of play with his new team and that league, I wish him well.

Though Craig, was going too have another crack' at the NHL, or AHL, but i do wish him the best, and hope he might be, back in a DEVILS jersey one day? :D

Really not that familiar with other European leagues, but does this suggest Weller is unlikely to play AHL or very unlikley NHL again? Can't imagine there's many NHL teams signing players from the Austrian league although as I said, I'm not an expert on European ice hockey leagues. Where does that league rank (roughly) in Europe - top 5... 10?

A

Anonymous

As Osh has said, I was suprised to see him take an offer so quickly, but Austria is one heck of a place to live.
As Legend says, I'm not sure how highly the league there is ranked?

As good a player as Weller is, I honestly think his NHL days are behind him, and perhaps it was more of a dream for him to return as it was a reality? AHL maybe, but the bloke is approaching 30 now and there's always an influx of new young blood coming through. That's just my opinion of course.

Be good to see him back here one day as a coach if not a player? :p

Just found a site which says Austrain League is ranked 11th in European leagues - apparently a list of IIHF earlier this year. Elite league was 21st so a big step up from our league - but springboard back to AHL / NHL - not sure. On the plus side for us, possible return in a couple of years if he stays in Europe and doesn't progress up the leagues - but then is he realistically going to come back to the small wages - guessing he'll be on a few quid more next season?

TheStub

My guess he has decided to take decent money early, rather than worry about getting an AHL vetran contract. He would be silly to not have a clause allowing a move to the AHL/NHL - but they wont be signing vets for another month or so.

Austria are probably paying decent money whilst maintaining a lifestyle for his family. Climate and culture will be easy for them whilst he also builds his nest eggs.

IMHO this is a family man move. Good on him.

ledgend777 said:
Just found a site which says Austrain League is ranked 11th in European leagues - apparently a list of IIHF earlier this year. Elite league was 21st so a big step up from our league - but springboard back to AHL / NHL - not sure. On the plus side for us, possible return in a couple of years if he stays in Europe and doesn't progress up the leagues - but then is he realistically going to come back to the small wages - guessing he'll be on a few quid more next season?
That rankings you found isn't actually a leagues rankings, it was a rankings of the countries. The Elite League is probably around the 15th best league in Europe while the Austrian is probably the 7th. It really is a great league and they have some top players there who move on to leagues like the SM-liga,DEL,KHL,AHL and in some cases even the NHL. Red Bull Salzburg has a wage bill of £4million, I think that puts it into perspective