what should a captain be?

KaneDevils

Respect, I think is a key factor to being a good "C". If your team mates like you and respect you, then your half way there. The rest should be pretty simple :)

Thread starter #24
KaneDevils said:
Respect, I think is a key factor to being a good "C". If your team mates like you and respect you, then your half way there. The rest should be pretty simple :)
who do u think has the most respect i think personally hill should have alot but mostly kenton

KaneDevils

That's a tough one. I'd say Voth would have had heaps, maybe that's pretty obvious :D
I can see the argument about Stuu not being particularly vocal, but I don't think thats vital.
I'm sure his team mates like and respect him and I'm happy to see him as "c".
If not Stuu maybe Max or Marsh?

Crikey, school holibobs?

In life, broadly speaking, there are two types of people - those that lead and those that follow. To be a good captain you need to be a good leader. Those are innate qualities. You don’t need to be the captain to be a leader. Those teams that have 4,5 or 6 leaders are generally (or so I’ve found) the most successful.

Being captain isn’t just about turning up on match night or to training and wearing the C and leading from the front. It’s about man management. So much stuff happens behind the scenes/ in the pub about gripes players have that they go to the captain for rather than the coach. Personally, I think the C could stand for Counsellor – but I don’t want to go too psychoanalytical on you on a Friday night! :p

If you don’t have the respect of your squad, you aren’t going to go very far. Some people earn respect simply by walking into a room. Others don't get noticed. You can work hard to earn this respect though.

You can't have an ego. You may be the captain but you’re no bigger than the club.

And I think the most important lesson of all is that you need to have cracking banter! Set the tone for the rest of the squad!

Thread starter #27
KaneDevils said:
That's a tough one. I'd say Voth would have had heaps, maybe that's pretty obvious :D
I can see the argument about Stuu not being particularly vocal, but I don't think thats vital.
I'm sure his team mates like and respect him and I'm happy to see him as "c".
If not Stuu maybe Max or Marsh?
i think max i mean he is a charachter (wow i cant spell) he scores leads from the front and can get physical if he needs to:) hes a go to guy for the young ones and he is an awesome person and people will respect him for his playing ability

jimmy snels

This total disrespect of posters who are not regulars is doing my head in! If you don't think the question is good/relevant don't post you arrogant a holes!! The topics jmz 44 has brought up are mainly good topics previously undiscussed. Im happy to read other peoples opinions on there varying subjects.

I think stuuuuu is a go to player who doesn't infuriate the refs, puts in a hard shift EVERY time and someone Im happy to have as my captain as a fan. I hated finnerty as captain because he was none of these things

Finny

I think it's safe to say that jmz44 is a physical rugby player and thinks the Devils captain should be physical too. He wants it to be someone who (as they said themselves) puts the first hit in of the game.

That's not going to be Stu. Tylor would have fitted that role, but I wouldn't have wanted him to be captain either.

For me, a Captain should be someone who leads by example and has the respect of his teammates. I can't think of anyone who fits that better than Stu. The comments from Tylor on Stu in the interview prove that.

If we are a goal down in the final minute and needing an equaliser, or a goal up and the other team have pulled their netminder - you can be sure there will be one guy that G will be his faith in to be on the ice at that time.

Stu. And that is why for me he is our captain.

Finny

jimmy snels said:
I think stuuuuu is a go to player who doesn't infuriate the refs, puts in a hard shift EVERY time and someone Im happy to have as my captain as a fan. I hated finnerty as captain because he was none of these things
Agreed. I was very surprised that jmz44 mentioned that the captain should respect the referee, and then say Finnerty was a good captain. Nobody took more stupid penalites in the final two minutes of games or got Misconducts for gobbing off. I'm sure he was very inspirational and got players fired up in the changing rooms, but on the ice he was more often than not a liability.

Wannabe2

A true Captain should have the letter S as the first letter in his forename, and M the first in his surname, wear the number 18 shirt, and have 3 letters in his crowd chant. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Earnie

If you start a thread with a title 'what should a captain be' then you are inviting comment and probably critisism.

IMHO the most important aspect of being a captain is to have the respect of your team. (I should know because I am one - not in sport). To have the respect of your team you must earn it. You earn it by the quality of your own performance topped by being cool in a crisis and having respect for all of your team members and being able to communicate your opinions and desires at all levels.

Thread starter #33
Finny said:
jimmy snels said:
Agreed. I was very surprised that jmz44 mentioned that the captain should respect the referee, and then say Finnerty was a good captain. Nobody took more stupid penalites in the final two minutes of games or got Misconducts for gobbing off. I'm sure he was very inspirational and got players fired up in the changing rooms, but on the ice he was more often than not a liability.
yes i know that they should respect referees u iforgot how bad finner was at that but he wore his heart on his sleeve

Re: Re: what should a captain be?

KaneDevils said:
Goodness me! He's a kid for christ sake. If you want to help him with his question, post. If not then don't. What the hell is wrong with you people!!

Unbelievable.

:DWD
I attempted a debate and gave my reasons.

Just pointed out these threads are irritating...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

zoesdevil

At the end of the day I think that if he's good enough for G to pick him as captain then he's good enough for me!! G's decision should be respected no matter who he picks as he trains with them all season and can see who he thinks ticks all the boxes!!
Great decision IMHO!! :D

A good captain should be a strong leader on and off the ice.

Stands up for his team mates and the club.

He should be able to stand up and make the difference when the team is down and be the one to make that big game change moment to make the team get their heads back up and get that win.

The captain is the quarter back for them team and as long has he has the players trust then they will go far as a unit and not individuals

KaneDevils

danhall76 said:
KaneDevils said:
Goodness me! He's a kid for christ sake. If you want to help him with his question, post. If not then don't. What the hell is wrong with you people!!

Unbelievable.

I was actually talking to sniper13 who was very rude to the lad. No need for it.

Listen if you old enough to post a comment that someone might disagree with , be prepared to get some flack this is a forum im sure he doesn't need you to stick up for him

Koop11

KaneDevils said:
danhall76 said:
KaneDevils said:

Unbelievable.

I was actually talking to sniper13 who was very rude to the lad. No need for it.

No need for blasphemy either.