Where have our fans gone?

Me and my Husband would love to be able to see more games but for us it all comes down to money. I have been lucky though in winning a pair of tickets via the Capital FM competition but at the moment we're just trying to get to one game a month.

steve

it takes big balls to reduce ticket prices (and recover the lost revenue through increased volume sales) and i don't think the management have them.

they'd rather play safe and charge excessive amounts of money knowing the hardcore element will pay any amount (more or less).

in my opinion the product isn't worth much more than £10 per game (with places like the NIC a little more).

from what i've heard the average ticket receipt when you factor in ST's and concessions etc. is just over £10. if the club had the guts to charge everyone a flat £10 per ticket (no admin caused by different rates) i geniunely believe they would achieve similar revenues to the current levels - but have the benefit of playing to a full house/great atmosphere and make it a 'hot ticket' in the city.

I've personally noticed that their don't seem to be the same atmosphere of that 2-3 years ago
Also the rink is a farce to be honest although I do love it for the fear it causes to oppositions.
I'd love to see the rink packed to the rafters week in week out, but until we get out of our "TEMPORARY" rink we're not gonna generate crowds a record holding team deserve.

steve

my worry would be that even in a nice building of 3000+, people won't pay £17.50 a ticket.

those of my friends who used to enjoy the odd game (say between 5-10 p/year) don't come any more. during my time at uni (not that long ago) we would regularly attend games in a big group. i've got no chance of getting those people back down the rink these days - its got to the point where its embarrasing to ask, knowing i'll have to tell them its £17.50!

whilst a lot of people come and get hooked - if the club wants to survive it's those 'recreational fans' coming back from time to time that will actually fill the building.

Paul Sullivan

Gotta say Steve it's easy to talk about balls and guts when it's not your money on the line and I think whilst the Summer of problems make the Devils management an easy target, perhaps a little credit is due for not only continuing on when not only did there not look like anybody else was queueing up to write a lot of cheques but also for making significant changes to improve both costs and performance.

I had as difficult a Summer as I needed to have so I have no reason to just sing praises for no reason.

Nobody knows whether revenues will remain identical or increase if ticket prices are reduced. The sliding scale of discount versus volume of a rink versus a totally price-led arena like Sheffield are worlds apart.The most successful club in the country (financially) has the most expensive ticket prices (some shared with us I grant) and that's not a fluke. We all wanted G to have the biggest budget as possible for the season. He got more than was originally promised, and I think it's a little greedy for us to want to have that without the ticket prices remaining the same / increasing.

The team and club cost what they cost to run. there is a large amount you can predict about an EIHL budget, and some unforeseen costs too.

I do not think the Devils have everything perfect but there is more effort, commitment and hard work going from those involved with the club right now than in the past 3.5 years, in my opinion - and with a great team of people doing that work too.

I disagree with the comments about quality of hockey and cost - time and again I speak with newbies who have a fantastic night out at their first game. For me it is the slightly more casual / almost a ST holder fan that we have been losing. Perhaps this means the Devils marketing should be more targeted at brand new fans, and they are looking at that.

But I think what has also become evident through this recent promotion is two things:

1) The club made a shrewd decision to reach out to it's best ambassadors - the ST holders, with a strong offer.

2) Thus far (and until face-off this is inconclusive) that has been unsuccessful. Perhaps that's the climate, perhaps that's bad luck, perhaps it's STH's giving cheap tickets to those quasi-casual fans instead of newbies (that has happened a lot in the past) and perhaps it's something else. It certainly wasn't for the main reason the club used to fall down - the notice period.

I am not trying to criticise you personally ( other than the Balls jibe :D ) but offering an opinion from someone who has seen big changes and a huge effort being put in to make this year a success.

We are the best marketing tool the club has. Some fans have made herculean efforts to get more fans in. Steve from AVS and Ger-Devils spring to mind. The simple fact remains that if we all brought two people, the rink would be full.

Constantly on here I see calls for the club to "just ask" for help and it's here waiting. They did - and they asked for it in the simplest way possible, to bring some folks to the club we all love.

I hope come Sunday that is proved to be true and we have a full and rocking house for what should be a great game.

I don't live in Cardiff but I don't think that the BBT being where it is helps from years ago when the rink was in the City Centre. I have to drive from Swansea and am lucky at the moment as my partner drives home if I have a drink, it wouldn't be as much of an issue if it was in the centre as I could hop off the train.

steve

Rhythm said:
I disagree with the comments about quality of hockey and cost - time and again I speak with newbies who have a fantastic night out at their first game.
Yeah, completely agree. The Dundee game for example - goals, hits and fights, just what the players needed to do in front of so many newbies. But i can't get those people back the following week anymore.

Rhythm said:
I am not trying to criticise you personally ( other than the Balls jibe :D ) but offering an opinion from someone who has seen big changes and a huge effort being put in to make this year a success.
I commend your effort, all of you. I believe you are fighting a loosing battle though. All the efforts being made are being undermined by a team that seems to lack character and guts, and high ticket prices.

All i can do is offer my observation - it's all about listening to the fans these days isnt it? - I can't get the same people who would attend regularly in past years to do so anymore - why? Ticket prices.

Maybe i need more affluent friends.

Paul Sullivan

steve said:
Rhythm said:
I disagree with the comments about quality of hockey and cost - time and again I speak with newbies who have a fantastic night out at their first game.
Yeah, completely agree. The Dundee game for example - goals, hits and fights, just what the players needed to do in front of so many newbies. But i can't get those people back the following week anymore.

Rhythm said:
I commend your effort, all of you. I believe you are fighting a loosing battle though. All the efforts being made are being undermined by a team that seems to lack character and guts, and high ticket prices.

All i can do is offer my observation - it's all about listening to the fans these days isnt it? - I can't get the same people who would attend regularly in past years to do so anymore - why? Ticket prices.

Maybe i need more affluent friends.
Thanks for understanding where I am coming from Steve. I know you have done your bit to help the club.

That is now though the third time you have asked for a gut-check in two posts.

Which players do you think are gutless or not committed?

I don't think you could point out one reason for the attendances dropping off. Different people/personalities will have different reasons, the financial climate combined with the walk up price will put paid to the spur of the moment fans who are looking for something to do on a match night. The facility will see off the fan who enjoys the game and would go more often if it was warmer/cleaner/more accessible/ had an edible menu/seats that you could see the game from/less mindless morons. Performance and results will do for the 15 game a season people who know the game fairly well? and dont think the product is worth the price. The semi professional fan will pick and choose games depending on who we play because Hull are boring and Edinburgh only have a goalie and some under 16s. The professional non season ticket holding full time fan doesn't come to all the games any more because he/she doesn't like the owner/the commercial manager/the D.J. /the programme sellers/the ice/those morons again/referees and finally the full time season ticket holders for the last hundred years who haven't renewed because "it's not like it used to be" and have just moved on.
I suppose I nearly belong to the last group as had I not taken advantage of the early bird offer and paid for my ticket before it was announced that the one success of last year (the team) was to have its budget cut I'm afraid I wouldn't have been so eager to part with my cash.
If there is anyone capable of dealing with that amount of personalities and coming out the other side universally liked by people willing to hand over their hard earned they deserve every success. Unfortunately, I don't believe that person exists.

I attended 5-10 games last season, but really only because my other half is a STH so I tag along.

I prefer Sat games, but only because I have to travel an hour home so it makes it a little late on Sundays if the game is a 3 hour-er.

I begrudge paying such a high price for the package you get. The facility is awful. Hull actually have better facilities, better views, better food than Cardiff and if I had to choose, I'd go to Hull. The lack of atmosphere there is a little disappointing unless its Sheffield or Nottingham playing though.

Mainly, I just can't be bothered to go to watch ice hockey in Cardiff. I agree that the games I've attended this season have been a bit uninspiring, which is a shame.

Another thing is that generally, I prefer being an away fan. That might be because I spent the first three years of my hockey watching as one and not developing a strong attachment to any one team and only sitting in the away block because the other half is an avid Devils fan.

But, we have to work with what we have in Cardiff. Maybe a quick few questions from staff as people buy tickets would help? "Have you attended a game before?" "Have you come because of a STH or other advertising?" and as they leave "Would you come again?" "Why/why not?"

Personally the British Legion / poppy gate shenanigans was the turning point for me & 3 other season ticket holders in my family. A new owner came so I gave it another chance but it soon became apparent that not much had changed for the better. Not been to a game this year and don’t intend to go until there is a positive off ice change in how things are run. So I suppose that partially puts me in Gingers husbands bracket of “those thatdont come to all the games anymore because he/she doesn't like the owner/the commercial manager/the D.J. /the programme sellers/the ice/those morons again/referees”.

Cardiff's £17.50 for a ticket is far too step in my opinion.. Probable a major factor in why people are staying away...

Belfast is £15.50 and we play out of an arena yet are able to offer cheaper tickets than what Ragan is charging for playing out of the tent.. :? Giants also offer flexi tickets at just £14.00 a touch.. Dundee charge £15, Nottingham £16, Edinburgh £15, Fife £15, Braehead £16, Sheffield £16.50, Hull £15.. I can't find Blaze prices...

Wannabe2

El Supremo said:
For me we have a really average/boring team this year and the price is far too high.
Actually i totally disagree, we are not a average boring team, we are just playing like one at the moment. When we play as good as we can to me we are a top 4 team, we have the ability to be a very tough hard team to beat, but we have to have every player playing for each other, and wanting to play for the shirt, now whether outside influences are preventing that i dont have a clue, hopefully not, but i believe if all these guys played every shift with 100% and a bit of welsh hwyl we would be a lot better for it. We have a big team physically we just need to play physical, after all i always thought that was the Cardiff way. Also who knows but if we get back to the hockey Devils fans have been used to, we may just have a few more bums on seats, as no-one leaves or falls asleep when things kick of at the BBT.

voth26

Clare said:
I attended 5-10 games last season, but really only because my other half is a STH so I tag along.

I prefer Sat games, but only because I have to travel an hour home so it makes it a little late on Sundays if the game is a 3 hour-er.

I begrudge paying such a high price for the package you get. The facility is awful. Hull actually have better facilities, better views, better food than Cardiff and if I had to choose, I'd go to Hull. The lack of atmosphere there is a little disappointing unless its Sheffield or Nottingham playing though.

Mainly, I just can't be bothered to go to watch ice hockey in Cardiff. I agree that the games I've attended this season have been a bit uninspiring, which is a shame.

Another thing is that generally, I prefer being an away fan. That might be because I spent the first three years of my hockey watching as one and not developing a strong attachment to any one team and only sitting in the away block because the other half is an avid Devils fan.

But, we have to work with what we have in Cardiff. Maybe a quick few questions from staff as people buy tickets would help? "Have you attended a game before?" "Have you come because of a STH or other advertising?" and as they leave "Would you come again?" "Why/why not?"
Clare, I think that's a really good idea regarding your last point why dont the club ask the fans what they think via a questionaire. It would give the club a better idea of whats really happening with us fans and a better insight into what people perceive as issues within the club. They have fans data by way of st holders, email address etc

TheStub

Re: Re: Where have our fans gone?

voth26 said:
Clare, I think that's a really good idea regarding your last point why dont the club ask the fans what they think via a questionaire. It would give the club a better idea of whats really happening with us fans and a better insight into what people perceive as issues within the club. They have fans data by way of st holders, email address etc
The big problem with a questionnaire is interpretation of the results, not an easy task. As this thread proves for every 10 fans you'll get 15 different opinions.

gingers post is spot on, all sorts of people with allsorts of agendas and all got slightly or very differin views on everything you can think off as to whot is happening down the bay, the rink is pants and we have a hole tent load of problums due to it, so a shiny new rink will hopfully put most if not all those problums to bed, great, but the rink will still be down the bay. as has been said the season ticket/die hard never miss a game mob, as important as we are, never fill the rink, the floating fan does and for the majority of them our rink is not the easyest to get to if your not that dedicated which is the nature of the average floating fan. all the other problums we may have, owners/ dj/team/ whot ever, will change for reasons day to day in some cases but the rink is stuck down the bay/bay, cos its not actualy down the bay is it, like a cannabis plant in a rose garden the council dug us up and put us in a dark wet place ware we would wither and die, we are still here but at this rate i aint putin my house on for how long, and that beggers another Q wot is happening with the shiny rink

oneill said:
Cardiff's £17.50 for a ticket is far too step in my opinion.. Probable a major factor in why people are staying away...

Belfast is £15.50 and we play out of an arena yet are able to offer cheaper tickets than what Ragan is charging for playing out of the tent.. :? Giants also offer flexi tickets at just £14.00 a touch.. Dundee charge £15, Nottingham £16, Edinburgh £15, Fife £15, Braehead £16, Sheffield £16.50, Hull £15.. I can't find Blaze prices...
£17.50 is the price of walk up tickets, if you buy them prior to the game they are £16.00, but still to expensive for the venue, I agree. We also do flexi tickets, but unsure what they work out as. The cheapest way is a season ticket. My family tickets works out approx £11.00 a game if I attend every game, which I usually do and £5.00 for the kids. I still say its the saturday games that are hurting us.

Wannabe2

cf38 said:
oneill said:

£17.50 is the price of walk up tickets, if you buy them prior to the game they are £16.00, but still to expensive for the venue, I agree. We also do flexi tickets, but unsure what they work out as. The cheapest way is a season ticket. My family tickets works out approx £11.00 a game if I attend every game, which I usually do and £5.00 for the kids. I still say its the saturday games that are hurting us.
The Sat games dont do our club any favours at all, never have done.

wildthing74

Personally I'm stunned the club has accepted so many Saturday games.As been said we historically have struggled to get good crowds on a Saturday regardless of the opposition.
A big problem I think regardless of cost is that when we clash with the City home games we risk losing families that go to both.Its a long day if people want to attend both and if going down the City first we be out of the house from 1.00 or so until well after 10 at night.Given a choice 1 or the other I think the football would win for a lot of families.