worried about the rest of the season?

Thread starter #1
OK guys n gals

jury's out

roughly one month in and these ban things are ridiculous - exactly who is it supposed to be helping?

squeelers squeeled - brad banned (24 games not 12 - remember the 12 suspended!)

unprecedented trial by media

disciplinary review went into a franzy (never been busier)

Giants heirarchy supported it

bans for basingstoke - (EDITED - may have got it wrong in original post!)

ban for Thornton - giants, squeelers and elite league themselves very very quiet

belfast retaliate with more accusations and asking for reviews

Squeelers have dropped a bomb and walked away trying to look whiter than white.

Although the league will making quite a lot of money from the £2k review fees

All this in the most promising season the devils have in many a year, after years of the Devils being held back in business terms. How sad for a geniune Cardiff business man to inherit a viable prospect only for other owners to start infantile playground tactics

it's time to leave the game to be played on the ICE by the Players and to be governed by the officials.

the league should remember - no fans = no league

after the turmoil in the league itself how can it expect to find solid reliable national sponsorship. Basingstoke have already struggled commercially this season.

if the league carries on like this it will implode

rosters full of banned players
unhappy stay away fans (due to their imports not playing)
sponsors wondering how the league can sustain itself commercially

I fear for the outcome of the meeting announced for early October... but the league MUST get its house in order

the people responsible for this downward spiral of events must be held resposible and dealt with accordingly.

AND IT IS NOT THE PLAYERS SO STOP BLOODY BANNING THEM FOR PLAYING HOCKEY

anyone who resorts to trial by media must be charged with bringing the game into disrepute

Elite League... please can we get back to Hockey and leave the politics alone

Totally agree with all of the above, this is getting stupid and needs to be sorted out. I want ice hockey to go from strength to strength in this country not washed away due to silly little boys in the playground!!!!! :roll:

Finny

Reggie Dunlop said:
bans for basingstoke - devils instigated to make league look fair
tit for tat citing and reviews over two games
Agree with most things you said - however I just wanted to point out that there has been no suggestion that the Devils asked for the incidents to be reviewed. The two Bison players were given match penalties at the time and so the league would being reviewing them automatically. I haven't seen any comments that the Devils asked for it to be reviewed - nor any mention of the Cornish incident.

Thread starter #5
OK Finny - take your point :oops:

just trying to point out how this whole thing has and is is escalating out of control due to one one bitter and twisted former owner and his media puppet. If I have caused confusion and embarrasment to G i apologise unreservedly.

mike62

Reggie Dunlop said:
The totally incompetent Thompson gave them Match penalties so they were automatically reviewed.

Does anyone know if Devils cited Cornish? If any Bison player were to be given a ban I would have thought he would for using the stick. The other two were justoverblown minor penalties.

Thread starter #7
mike62 said:
Reggie Dunlop said:
The totally incompetent Thompson gave them Match penalties so they were automatically reviewed.

Does anyone know if Devils cited Cornish? If any Bison player were to be given a ban I would have thought he would for using the stick. The other two were justoverblown minor penalties.

Sorry Mike - I got this wrong due to my ranting.... have edited the original post - I don't want to be accused of over zealous trial by media ;)

mike62

Reggie Dunlop said:
mike62 said:
Reggie Dunlop said:

Sorry Mike - I got this wrong due to my ranting.... have edited the original post - I don't want to be accused of over zealous trial by media ;)
Are you a Squeeler in disguise? :D

Foxy

Trouble is even if they do review the system at the beginning of October they can't downgrade future offences as some of the clubs have already had their players serving their bans.

Its hardly fair for one player to serve say 6 games for a slash to the legs and then say another player who commits the same offence later in the season only serves day 3. Its discriminating against both the first player and his club.

I think we're going to be stuck with this for the season unfortunately. I can't see how they are going to get out of this one without making themselves look bigger fools than they already are..

Thread starter #12
Foxy said:
Trouble is even if they do review the system at the beginning of October they can't downgrade future offences as some of the clubs have already had their players serving their bans.

Its hardly fair for one player to serve say 6 games for a slash to the legs and then say another player who commits the same offence later in the season only serves day 3. Its discriminating against both the first player and his club.

I think we're going to be stuck with this for the season unfortunately. I can't see how they are going to get out of this one without making themselves look bigger fools than they already are..

You're absolutely corrrect on this

that is why the League must allow the players to play their Game and the Fans be allowed to enjoy the whole sport politics free. Let the officials officiate and allow the League to administrate.

The main protagonists in all of this are the people who squeeled in the first place and instigated the whole downward spiral. They are the ones who should go down in Elite League History as the culprits in this whole sorry episode.

Congratulations Elite Head Squeeler on single handedly destroying the league

I agree the "If you tell, so will we" scenario is very childish, in the instance of Thornton, Payette wasn't injured so why not let them go at it or even the 2 enforcers face off and send a message to the players, let them police the game.

Last year at the O Clouthier gave Courtenay a big hit behind the play, Lewis in the very next shift nearly took Hands head off, the result next time the puck was dropped they went toe to toe and the rest of the game passed without incident.

Why didn't Maciver call Cornish out for his misdemeanor?

Payette should have called out Robbins and settled it there and then.

Is it perhaps the Steelers have no toughness and are scared of being bullied?

Foxy

glenngiant said:
Partly, i should imagine, because we were already one player down, our enforcer from last season, and we can't now afford to lose another player. Pirpch wasn't injured plus Cornish had already been removed from the game there wasn't much point. I would rather see McIver stay on the ice and sort out any major incidents in future games.

Yeah if the situation can't be fixed there and then teams play each other often off that incidents on the ice will still be remembered, have to say the Vipers double header at the Odyssey in January should be a specatacle ;)

Thread starter #16
Foxy said:
glenngiant said:
Partly, i should imagine, because we were already one player down, our enforcer from last season, and we can't now afford to lose another player. Pirpch wasn't injured plus Cornish had already been removed from the game there wasn't much point. I would rather see McIver stay on the ice and sort out any major incidents in future games.

although I understand that all of these bans are contentious and frustrating, I tried to keep this thread away from My Dads bigger than your dad or our bans is worse than your ban.. as it is always very easy to get drawn into personalities doing this and doing that

the big question that should asked of the league is how it has all degenerated into a ban free for all, and, that the instigators should face a stiff penalty before the it brings down the whole administration. As the thread topic says "worried about the rest of the season?"