YOUR Views from weekend in Nottigham

osh

It's a shame the EIHL & ENL play offs are held over the same weekend at different venues for a start. If only the powers that be could do what's actually best for the fans and not themselves eh. I would prefer to something like the ENL semi final play offs decided before play off weekend (semi finalists play on a home and away basis to see who makes the final)

I would then like to see the EIHL semis in the same format i.e 2 semi finals on the Saturday.
On the Sunday we could have the ENL final played first, with the EIHL final being played after. This way would ensure that ice hockey fans from every team could attend and not have to choose what play off venue they miss out on. It would give those who don't normally see ENL a chance to see what the standard is like and likewise, it would give ENL fans a chance to see what standard the EIHL is in comparison. More importantly, it makes it more interesting for the general hockey fan and would fill the empty seats that we saw on the weekend. Oh yeh, BRING IT BACK TO WEMBLEY PLEASE!!

osh said:
It's a shame the EIHL & ENL play offs are held over the same weekend at different venues for a start. If only the powers that be could do what's actually best for the fans and not themselves eh. I would prefer to something like the ENL semi final play offs decided before play off weekend (semi finalists play on a home and away basis to see who makes the final)

I would then like to see the EIHL semis in the same format i.e 2 semi finals on the Saturday.
On the Sunday we could have the ENL final played first, with the EIHL final being played after. This way would ensure that ice hockey fans from every team could attend and not have to choose what play off venue they miss out on. It would give those who don't normally see ENL a chance to see what the standard is like and likewise, it would give ENL fans a chance to see what standard the EIHL is in comparison. More importantly, it makes it more interesting for the general hockey fan and would fill the empty seats that we saw on the weekend. Oh yeh, BRING IT BACK TO WEMBLEY PLEASE!!
On the whole eihl/epl note I was thinking it would be interesting to have a bit of a fa cup style competition between the two leagues ...

mazza03

Earnie said:
Tyke Devil said:
Slightly off topic as not a view from this weekend as I couldn't attend but from the previous two weekends that I did attend (and in particular the 2012 weekend) I would find it hard to justify another trip. I just felt that the EIHL did the bare minimum for the supporters for the cost of the tickets. Even worse if you add in 2 days accommodation, travelling costs etc.

It seemed that it was a case of...go watch the games...then go away. We have no need or reason to entertain you other than put on the matches.

Despite the claims that Ice Hockey in the UK is a family orientated sport there is precious little put on for the supporters that turn up with young families. There is all that space in front of the main entrance to the Arena but all they have is a BBQ stall. Where are all the other attractions? Why no activities for the kids? (or older kids for that matter!).

Why no stalls manned by other sport organisations and clubs? Whether traditional British sports or other minority / American sports.

Heck..I don't know the answers but from talking to other fans at previous POFW's they all seemed to suggest that the finals have just become a cash cow for the EIHL.

Reading other forums it also appears that attendances were down again (certainly for fans other than the Home fans ;) ) and that has been the trend for a few years.

I can only comment on the two years I have been and they were both in Nottingham. What was it like in the past at other venues?

Well the only other venue really was WEMBLEY and it was FABULOUS in comparison. Stalls all the way around the Arena and a huge market going on outside and clubs you never heard of attending with a magic atmosphere
I wonder if there is a venue capable of holding the fans and providing ice that doesn't actually have an ice team, Wembley has been mention as had the O2 but there must be somewhere else????? How can you say that Nottingham doesn't have the advantage? They always use there home dressing roon even when they are supposed to be the away team, I didn't go this weekend so I don't know if that changed but the last .... of years that it has been hel at the NIC this has been the case. ;:|

Wannabe2

Manchester the old MEN, and thats where we last won it, awesome venue and a better city than Nottingham. Once watched us against the Storm in front of 16,000 fans for a league game.

Wannabe2

Yep we beat the league champions 5-0 in the semis, and guess what, they had the blue and white ribbons on the cup, and when the ticker tape was released at the end of the final and we had won, it was yes you have guessed it blue and white. The Arches pub across the road was a awesome venue.

Sliput

Foxy said:
Sliput said:
Mooney#16 said:
I don't think any blame should be levelled at the Devils for the 3rd placed game. They showed it the respect it rightly deserved which was zero. Its the playoffs. You have one winner. Everyone else goes home with nothing. That's the point. It's a league sham to make up for the fact EIHL can't suck it up and ask EIHA if they want to play the junior final in Nottingham which would be far more relevant. It's a league balls up and no one else's. it's not the players place to justify political stupidity by turning up to a professionally pointless game where you will not risk your career or health so the league can keep the ticket prices up. Blame league. Not Devils.
I also agree with this. The players should not have had to play this farce. Most Devils fans i spoke to expected nothing from this and even after were not upset at the way the game was played.

Although in our defence, the Devils played their best against Nottingham and gave everything where as Coventry would have had a lot more energy as they were woeful in their semi.
I think you'll find there were a lot of fans upset even angry at the way the game was played. It was down right embarrassing and something we had payed good money for.

No it shouldnt have been there again it was a farce when it was played before. I'd rather watch the scot v eng kids game than that but why not a skills test from the two teams knocked out. That would be far more entertaining

The two teams knocked out shouldnt have to do anything on the Sunday....i agree with the Eng v Scot game though. I can only go by the comments made around me and other fans i had spoken to and not one of them expected anything from the game on Sunday.

Wannabe2

Not being funny here, but we had so many players playing with injuries over the last few weeks, and showing true grit with it, playing extra minutes due to injuries, its a wonder they even skated out Sunday never mind anything else. I did a interview with Gerad on friday after practice and he couldnt even shake my hand, thats how sore his hands were. And Phil Thomas dont you dare reply with, probably didnt want to shake it mate. :lol:

Devil_Bluebird said:
what about a select team from the other 6 teams in the league. Pick 4/5/6 players from 3 teams on one side (Braehead,Fife and Hull for example) and the other team has the choice to pick from the other 3 teams (Dundee, Edinburgh, Steelers). Will give some of the fans a chance to watch a few of their players in action, fans like the Sheffield Steelers.
Never going to happen. The league pay the wages for the 4 teams that go through to the POFW, can't see them wanting to also pick up the wages for what would basiclly be a further 2 teams. Shame really as your idea would be interesting to watch.

Budgie said:
I agree with all of the above, but would add that we felt totally let down by the Devils performance in the bronze medal game, they all looked hung over and didn't care, even Coventry players laughing at them was humiliating. All this showed no respect for the Devils fans at all!

Not all mind you, Ben was amazing, as were Quiney, Hart and Blight but the rest hammered after a 3am night out.

Upset? Yup you bet ya :evil:
I totally agree was very upset no respect for Fans BIG let down!!!! :twisted:

First off congratulations to the Panthers and Corey Neilson, best team on paper and along with Belfast put on a showpiece final.

Now the negatives I have been going to Nottingham for the 12 successive seasons the finals have been in there. The ISL play off finals of 2001 had what I think needs to be brought back. I know the thoughts of a hockey village would be shouted down due to cost of the second ice pad but stalls from all the teams, between period entertainment (chuck a puck at simmsy would go down a treat) mascot racing, skills contests, hard shot the list goes on all relatively cheap! Even the ice dancing has gone before the final (even if most of us wanted to see someone fall!)

Personally I feel an organising committee outside of the team management (who appear to be detached from what the fans want) to come up with a plan and what better time to get hats on than now whole emotion is raw. We need to get away from the perceived panthers home game atmosphere, as number one sees this year they earned it bygone years... Not a chance. We should see what the players think, fans make a lot of it what do the players feel?!

Rant over!