Devils v Belfast Giants - Sat 7 Oct 2017 - League - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Outsider

This loss had nothing to do with being pushed around , that's laughable to say that and to say the result would have been different if Bordy was here is also laughable. Plain and simple, they got outworked. They had chances on the offensive end but they stood around and watched on the defensive side of the puck. You can't stand around and not press the issue and if you play a " zone defence" against a good team they will beat more often than not . Special teams are a concern at the moment and that needs to be addressed asap. So matter the excuses, the reasons the bottom line is they got out worked so until that changes they will continue to be inconsistent. The only part of the game that you can control is your work ethic

DevilDom

Giants the better team and deserved winners. Just one of those nights for the Devils, no lack of effort but just a little sloppy and not clinical enough but probably have to credit the Giants for that.

My one big gripe - the forward lines mixed up again! I guess I’m not coach though so will have to trust Lord for the reasons why.

jimmy snels

Thought we played well until belfast got niggley and physical then the game turned. They played a good game and we failed to take our chances. We are by far the most skilled team and we work very hard. This imo is the reason we compete in the CHL. We're skilled enough to be involved in these type of games plus we work our socks off. We are not however set up to get dirty and play hard. Our d men all of a sudden looked very rushed when they upped their physical play and we gave away a lot of sloppy pucks.

The amount of moaning from their bench effected the ref tonight imo. He gave much weaker calls on us than he did on them in an attempt to even it up and appease keefes non stop whinging.

Fair play to everyone in the crowd booing that dickhead by the penalty box out of the areana. Hope todd bans him for a while if he was throwing stuff

ASHIPP

Giants the better team and deserved winners. Just one of those nights for the Devils, no lack of effort but just a little sloppy and not clinical enough but probably have to credit the Giants for that.

My one big gripe - the forward lines mixed up again! I guess I’m not coach though so will have to trust Lord for the reasons why.
Eh? Same line-ups as for the previous 2 games - minus Crowder because of match ban. Tonight 4thline of Batch and Moore operated with rotating centres of Martin and Ulmer instead.

You mark my words, teams will come here and play a very physical and chippy game plan against us as they will not match the skill and speed we possess! However, this league is a tough North American style of hockey and to win it you have to be very physical indeed!

Ejercito Rojas

Well that was like turning the clock back 4years. Belfast game into our barn and apart from the first 7 mins they won all the battles along the boards, forced countless turnovers, got chippy, the physically dominated.
Let’s make no mistake about it, Batch reluctantly went with Kurtz, but got handed his arse.
Farina, had a go in the third and got the upper hand in his fight, but Riley jumped him from behind as third man in and was allowed to get away with it. He should have had his head ripped off but Batch was already in the box and no one else seemed interested. All of Belfast’s physical players were out of their respective boxes and we had no one to put them back in.
Last year that wouldn’t have happened and I’ve no doubt we would have turned that aroun in the 3rd, but this year we don’t have that type of player to change the momentum.
We owned Belfast last season except for one game when Bordeleau was banned and Nickerson et al all got out of their boxes then too.
Team tough = no deterrent I’m afraid, when things haven’t been going our way domestically this season we have been unable to get the momentum change and come from behind. The come from behind late in the third wins was one of the major reasons we won the league last year, unfortunately we don’t have the catalyst this season so it seems.

3-1 up in the 2nd period and we missed 2 open goals. That would of put the game in our control. At times we simply weren't clinical enough. The 5-3 we lost our crisp passing, with a certain player taking too long on the puck and trying to score from tight angles.
Devils looked a wee bit tired (or Giants a wee bit quicker) how much did Tuesday take our of them who knows, but we need to utilise our 4th line more (not helped by Crowder being banned)
One thing that gets me year on year is the moaning of players. As a league need more of the foreign type ref Schemichel moan and get a misconduct.
As much as it's been fun can't wait for the CHL to be over and the boys can concentrate on the league.

matbur

Have to agree with the poster who called for the two idiots who threw drinks to be banned. Absolute embarrassment to themselves. Really annoyed me seeing fans behave like, too many drinks whatever... no excuses for that behaviour.

Have to agree with the poster who called for the two idiots who threw drinks to be banned. Absolute embarrassment to themselves. Really annoyed me seeing fans behave like, too many drinks whatever... no excuses for that behaviour.
We had an individual in our block claiming the lady who was removed was Faryna's mum o_O

bb1

For me we have recently put in 2 of the best Devils performances in the history of our club in CHL.....we should easily beat teams in our league playing like that!?! Yes......however we get forced to play a different style all together.

We have no choice in the matter that we are forced by sides like Storm and Giants to play a different style of game that this team is struggling to do.

Giants imposed themselves physically. For 2 periods we barely threw a hit and we have zero ability to worry d men into coughing up puck and creating turnovers.

Faryna as hard as he works is playing a very 'cagey' style throwing few hits and looking like he is worried about getting caught out. It looks like a Lord is getting him to play a lot more defensively than he did in Dundee.

After 3 unanswered goals and finding ourselves a goal down GIANTS go looking for a fight!.....we should have been doing that! Batchy looked completely unwilling almost like he is under orders. In the end he had zero choice and lost. In end it looked like Faryna threw the toys out and tried to stir things up. Should have happened well before.

This team is just missing a spark right now and someone who can really change a game. This team just can't seem to transition good form to our style of league at the moment.

osh

Wow, have been out of the country ( and internet ) for 2 weeks and after the Vaxjo result was expecting a much better performance tonight. If other teams watch this showing from us tonight, they will have the measure of us unless we start to revert to Elite hockey as opposed to CHL hockey. We definitely need players who can step up to the plate to sort things out, as I see it, we don't have such players and it frustrates me hugely. It's difficult to comprehend how we can beat the likes of teams like Vaxjo Lakers ( wasn't there to witness such a great result ) and then succumb to what I consider a 'urine' poor performance tonight ! Certain players are not good enough to be on our roster imo.

Outsider

3-1 up in the 2nd period and we missed 2 open goals. That would of put the game in our control. At times we simply weren't clinical enough. The 5-3 we lost our crisp passing, with a certain player taking too long on the puck and trying to score from tight angles.
Devils looked a wee bit tired (or Giants a wee bit quicker) how much did Tuesday take our of them who knows, but we need to utilise our 4th line more (not helped by Crowder being banned)
One thing that gets me year on year is the moaning of players. As a league need more of the foreign type ref Schemichel moan and get a misconduct.
As much as it's been fun can't wait for the CHL to be over and the boys can concentrate on the league.
So let me guess who that certain player is , he's the league MVP and top defenceman for 3 years in a row ? Yup, i'd blame him for the loss too . Really ?

So let me guess who that certain player is , he's the league MVP and top defenceman for 3 years in a row ? Yup, i'd blame him for the loss too . Really ?
If.you actually read the comment I'm not saying for one bit he is to blame. However our PP unit is struggling and one area that caught my eye tonight was that he is trying to do to much on his own and not demonstrating the crisp passing that we know our units can do. Is he a world beater no.....has he been outstanding in our league yes.... is he our best D strangely no I personally believe Richie is because for me he does the dirty work that allows Hotham the freedom to get goals, but year on year he is trying to do more and more sometimes the easiest and best plays are the simple ones., which would be fine is year on year we brought the same calibre of individuals each year and opps were, BUT WE ARE NOT and they are not we are bring more skilled guys, so let's use them. 3rd period of 5-3 hockey highlighted in ( along with other concerns of static players, slow passing.
Tonight no one player was the reason we lost but some players should be accountable for moments of lapses. These moments are easy fixes. How many times did we see lack of communication between players of who.is getting the puck leaving a giant player to get it.
The players missing the open goals are players I would bet money on scoring and this is sport and it happens, but getting between 1-4 clear cut chances and not putting the biscuit away at crucial times in the game enabled the Giants to claw back a game that was slowly (not from lack of effort on their part) back into a game.
We have seen during numerous games Devils not being able to see out games where the scoreline should allow us to do so. It is a hard skill to.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

If.you actually read the comment I'm not saying for one bit he is to blame. However our PP unit is struggling and one area that caught my eye tonight was that he is trying to do to much on his own and not demonstrating the crisp passing that we know our units can do. Is he a world beater no.....has he been outstanding in our league yes.... is he our best D strangely no I personally believe Richie is because for me he does the dirty work that allows Hotham the freedom to get goals, but year on year he is trying to do more and more sometimes the easiest and best plays are the simple ones., which would be fine is year on year we brought the same calibre of individuals each year and opps were, BUT WE ARE NOT and they are not we are bring more skilled guys, so let's use them. 3rd period of 5-3 hockey highlighted in ( along with other concerns of static players, slow passing.
Tonight no one player was the reason we lost but some players should be accountable for moments of lapses. These moments are easy fixes. How many times did we see lack of communication between players of who.is getting the puck leaving a giant player to get it.
The players missing the open goals are players I would bet money on scoring and this is sport and it happens, but getting between 1-4 clear cut chances and not putting the biscuit away at crucial times in the game enabled the Giants to claw back a game that was slowly (not from lack of effort on their part) back into a game.
We have seen during numerous games Devils not being able to see out games where the scoreline should allow us to do so. It is a hard skill to.
What is much more worrying last night was the lack of fluidity and slow recycling on the pp. Their hesitancy to pass to another player and move around at the same time simply allowed Giants to reset and read the play.
Sadly it was a night whenspecial team performances really counted. Giants were stronger.
After those ineffective 5 on 3 chances for Devils, you could see Whistle grow in composure....the same goalie who was being hassled and unsettled by Devils in p1.

What happened to the defensive wall of red that dominated the Vaxjo game, closing down shooting lanes, covering Bownsey, clearing the zone quickly?

Giants' goal 4 - Layne Ulmer was the only player anywhere near Ben. Goal 5 - no defensive play at all.

Someone posted earlier about the determined will and mentality of last year's team to get back into games when the team had lost the lead. They knew they were much better than that. They were called the Comeback Kids because they seemed to regard it as a personal challenge to get that result. You could almost see them rolling up the sleeves and muttering ' time to get it done, we're not going to take anymore c**p'.

That has been missing this season in some games. The inconsistency this season is very similar to the year when Leigh Salters was on the team. Another gear is needed to pull out the stops.

I’m still convinced it’s a coaching issue, other teams are coming at us with game plans, adjustments in game and we simply cannot react either quickly enough or effectively. It maybe that coaches can predict our game far better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew lord seems fed up in his interview and as he does always takes the blame.

But surely only so much he can do and the rest is up to Players?

Said it a while back we need a change..
To inconcsitent and definately spark missing

DevilDom

Love Lordo’s honesty. Gives credit to the Giants & yet again for the most part protects his players & takes the majority of blame himself.

He does seem a little fed up with the inconsistency and it must be a worry to be outworked by a short benched Giants side, however he also touched on how different it is playing a CHL game to a EIHL game. I think some of the players are struggling when switching between the two styles more than others. He also touched on the fact he didn’t play his impact players like Batch, Faryna, Moore enough for this type of game and maybe that highlights the issue of him not being on the bench to see that sooner.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards. Hopefully Pope will be back soon, we can settle the lines down and maybe Lord can coach the game from the bench. Are we the only team in the EIHL with a playing coach now?

ASHIPP

Is Pacha a player/coach at Dundee? What about Edinburgh?.
Frustratingly for Lordo, he is having to play because the team performs much better when he is in it......

What is happening with Matt Pope? Last news was that he might be ready to play last night. But obviously he wasn't.

Wannabe2

We play awesome hockey against top CHL opposition, then drop a level against domestic rivals, Panthers go a stage further and tackle and beat the best, then struggle against local rivals. So what's the theme here, myself I don't have a clue but it seems contagious. Now I ain't no coach, and never will be, but the one thing that does frustrate me, is that I don't think we shoot enough, more so when we are on the pp, I know it's about creating the opening, and getting set, but the Great Wayne Gretzky once said, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, also if you don't shoot then obviously there ain't no rebounds, and lots of goals are scored through rebounds. So it was another bad day at the office, though it wasn't a bad game to watch, ( in parts anyway ). As I already stated one of my biggest disappointments, was watching a full house, which is a pleasure to the eye, witnessing us shooting ourselves in the foot. City are on our doorstep and playing well, so that's also a concern. We now need to concentrate on the Bread and Butter hockey, that's what fills our gaff.