Devils Vs Stars - League - 12th Dec 21

jenks33

I have never seen so many people spout so much rubbish in my entire life. Reading through this thread, it is clear that the vast majority posters haven’t the slightest amount of hockey knowledge. This fanbase is plastic, filled with toxicity and are entitled beyond belief. We had a sniff of success, and you now throw your toys out of the pram at every single bump.

We are third in the league. If we were at the bottom, then I would completely understand the outrage. But we aren’t. There are clubs that sit dead at the bottom of the league for months, and they still complain less than you bunch of miserable brats.

Of course we want to win. Everyone wants to win. Saying that Skalde or the players don’t care is again a load of rubbish. Just because Skalde doesn’t kick and shout on the bench, does not mean he has no passion. You have no clue what happens behind closed doors, so stop theorising with your deluded, pessimistic minds. I’d rather “Coach Boring” be sensible behind the bench instead of causing a scene, then giving us a bad reputation. Remember how we’d laugh at Thommo having a tantrum? Would you like Steelers fans doing that to us? I didn’t think so. Aggression does not equal passion. A coach can be passionate about his club without shouting and making a angry face. Yes, responsibility falls on Skalde for poor performances, but as previously mentioned, we are third. Asking for a coach to be sacked / doubting their ability when we are third in the league is the most potent example of how entitled you all are.

Skalde’s recruitment has also been superb. Top ECHL scorers in Reid and Register are incredible signings. Crandall is one of the best playmakers the league has seen. Cox and Sanford are a great pair with a huge amount of potential. We have two outstanding netminders and being brave enough to replace club mainstay Myers for Waller is a bold yet brilliant move for the future of our club.

Have they clicked recently? Maybe not. Have some players played poor? Definitely. However, I’d like to see you show me a team which does not have an underwhelming player? You won’t be able to. Whilst I completely agree that we expect better from some of our players, you can not exaggerate that problem into your deluded rants about the whole team and the management above.

The skill gap between the top and bottom of the table is minimal, you can’t expect to win every game. We’ve seen ourselves that any team can win any game. If you are going to complain about wasting your money to watch the game because we lost, please never pay to watch or bet on any sports ever again. Regardless if you follow the stigma that Dundee are a bottom team and should be beaten easily, they are still a professional club working within the same salary limits as we are. Don’t belittle the Stars or ridicule the Devils because the score didn’t go your way. Want to return your season ticket? Please do, you won’t be missed. We are third, there are seven clubs and tens of thousands of fans who would love to be in our position. Stop being ungrateful and entitled.

Are you allowed to be angry, upset, disappointed? Of course. Can and should you voice your opinion? Sure. But please put things into perspective before you make personal, attacking comments about the management, players and staff who work their hardest to keep you all happy.

If you plan on replying to this with the hopes of me replying back, please don’t. I won’t be arguing with anybody who has nothing better to do than hate the club they pretend to support.

Happy hockey days!
If you don’t expect fans to moan after the last 6 games then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. To be honest I’ve been pretty underwhelmed for longer than that but the last 6 games have been particularly poor. People pay a lot of money to watch this club and it’s been appalling of late. If you think the comments on here are bad then I would put money on it that the comments made by Kelman and Steve King behind the scenes are far worse. And calling some fans entitled is ridiculous in my opinion. If Fife or Manchester were as blunt as we have been in front of goal or generally as lethargic as we have been then their fans would be just as disgruntled. An issue I have with fans like yourself that get irate about other fans being critical is you tend to just look at whether we’ve won and our position in the table. I’d happily be 5th rather than 3rd if we were putting in better performances. As we all know this is a rebuilding season but we aren’t building anything! I’m sorry but whether you like it or not Cardiff, Belfast, Sheffield and Nottingham it’s about performance as well. And our performances have been dreadful

Last edited:

jenks33

Thought i'd sleep on the result before offering any valid opinion, as yesterdays opinion wouldn't have been very coherent after a Dundee home loss.

It's clear to me our issues come straight down the middle, having Dupont and Lammon as our 2 import centers just doesn't drive any offence at all.

When Dixon is back - this issue won't go away. I love Dixon, but he is not what we need driving the offence on the first unit - he's far more useful elsewhere, as he has proven in the last 2 years.

Signing a first line center midway through the season i would argue is an impossible task.

Whilst the club have mentioned previously "some teams change players for the sake of it, even when a replacement isn't an improvement".

If we get knocked out of the cup on Wednesday I suspect someone nameless will be sent packing even without a replacement as purely a salary shedding exercise - the loss in revenue will force the owners hand for sure. (This is just my opinion)

We have 9 regulation goals in the last 5 games we've played, which is not good for where we need to be.
For reference - Belfast have 22, Sheffield 19, Nottingham 16.

Goal scoring is not our biggest issue though for my money - driving meaningful offence in general is the issue.
Agree with you Temme. Alarm bells started ringing for me when I looked at us down the middle back in August. If you looked at Sheffield’s options at Centre ( Hodgman, Oleksuk, Connolly, Armstrong, Phillips) I thought they looked far stronger than us. Now I appreciate that Oleksuk has left (although I think that was down to his wife not settling in Sheffield) and one or two of the others have had so so starts + injuries but I still think that’s a stronger group of centres than we recruited. They’ve also added Polak who looks a player.

And you’re spot on about Dixon. Some of us have been saying for a couple of months that Dixon shouldn’t be first line Centre and have been criticised for it. As you said, he’s far more useful elsewhere. If we had a top first line centre you could release Dixon to shake up the other lines.

Last edited:
Having been a fan since 1988 I’m suddenly a ‘Plastic - low life’ according to a forum newbie :):):)
Like you Kingmo my first game was 1988 watching the Devils v Medway Bears.
Season ticket holder since 1991
Former Corporate Season Ticket holder
100 club member
Followed the Devils across Europe in the CHL
Plastic Low-Life since 12/12/21 (tongue in cheek comment)

But here’s the REALLY important thing:
My opinion is NO MORE or LESS VALID than any other poster on this forum!!

Personal abuse has no place on this forum!

august04 2.0

I am going to assume its aimed at the people who consistently say they arent going to renew their season tickets/buy tickets when the Devils lose or have an off day
How can a New Member assume to know what a fairly obscure term posted by another New Member refers to?! Anyone would think you're in the same family!

Hedd Wyn John

Thought i'd sleep on the result before offering any valid opinion, as yesterdays opinion wouldn't have been very coherent after a Dundee home loss.

It's clear to me our issues come straight down the middle, having Dupont and Lammon as our 2 import centers just doesn't drive any offence at all.

When Dixon is back - this issue won't go away. I love Dixon, but he is not what we need driving the offence on the first unit - he's far more useful elsewhere, as he has proven in the last 2 years.

Signing a first line center midway through the season i would argue is an impossible task.

Whilst the club have mentioned previously "some teams change players for the sake of it, even when a replacement isn't an improvement".

If we get knocked out of the cup on Wednesday I suspect someone nameless will be sent packing even without a replacement as purely a salary shedding exercise - the loss in revenue will force the owners hand for sure. (This is just my opinion)

We have 9 regulation goals in the last 5 games we've played, which is not good for where we need to be.
For reference - Belfast have 22, Sheffield 19, Nottingham 16.

Goal scoring is not our biggest issue though for my money - driving meaningful offence in general is the issue.
Temme, what are your thoughts on the Devils D?

How can a New Member assume to know what a fairly obscure term posted by another New Member refers to?! Anyone would think you're in the same family!
If you actually go on my profile, I have been a member for four years longer than you (been going to the Devils for considerably longer again) I just haven't posted in that time - does this make my opinion more valid now?
For reference I don't even know the poster but agree with some of the points he/she makes, especially around having actual constructive discussions and expressing your own thoughts.

Ejercito rojas hits the nail on the head with his comment above. New member or old, everyone is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to disagree and have conversations around their thoughts.

august04 2.0

If you actually go on my profile, I have been a member for four years longer than you (been going to the Devils for considerably longer again) I just haven't posted in that time - does this make my opinion more valid now?
For reference I don't even know the poster but agree with some of the points he/she makes, especially around having actual constructive discussions and expressing your own thoughts.

Ejercito rojas hits the nail on the head with his comment above. New member or old, everyone is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to disagree and have conversations around their thoughts.
Actually not true. My initial username was august04 but had to create a new log in as my details were misplaced. Not that it matters. You have every right to your opinion, that’s what this place is for. It’s not a place for personal abuse of other posters though - I found it quite surprising that such an abusive post would receive so many “likes”, even if it contained some points that people agreed with.

The_Stick_

Actually not true. My initial username was august04 but had to create a new log in as my details were misplaced. Not that it matters. You have every right to your opinion, that’s what this place is for. It’s not a place for personal abuse of other posters though - I found it quite surprising that such an abusive post would receive so many “likes”, even if it contained some points that people agreed with.
I’m sorry but if it was personal abuse I would have listed individual users, but I didn’t. What is personal is the abusive posts that some “fans” have made about certain players and coaches.

Swarley

I have never seen so many people spout so much rubbish in my entire life. Reading through this thread, it is clear that the vast majority posters haven’t the slightest amount of hockey knowledge. This fanbase is plastic, filled with toxicity and are entitled beyond belief. We had a sniff of success, and you now throw your toys out of the pram at every single bump.

We are third in the league. If we were at the bottom, then I would completely understand the outrage. But we aren’t. There are clubs that sit dead at the bottom of the league for months, and they still complain less than you bunch of miserable brats.

Of course we want to win. Everyone wants to win. Saying that Skalde or the players don’t care is again a load of rubbish. Just because Skalde doesn’t kick and shout on the bench, does not mean he has no passion. You have no clue what happens behind closed doors, so stop theorising with your deluded, pessimistic minds. I’d rather “Coach Boring” be sensible behind the bench instead of causing a scene, then giving us a bad reputation. Remember how we’d laugh at Thommo having a tantrum? Would you like Steelers fans doing that to us? I didn’t think so. Aggression does not equal passion. A coach can be passionate about his club without shouting and making a angry face. Yes, responsibility falls on Skalde for poor performances, but as previously mentioned, we are third. Asking for a coach to be sacked / doubting their ability when we are third in the league is the most potent example of how entitled you all are.

Skalde’s recruitment has also been superb. Top ECHL scorers in Reid and Register are incredible signings. Crandall is one of the best playmakers the league has seen. Cox and Sanford are a great pair with a huge amount of potential. We have two outstanding netminders and being brave enough to replace club mainstay Myers for Waller is a bold yet brilliant move for the future of our club.

Have they clicked recently? Maybe not. Have some players played poor? Definitely. However, I’d like to see you show me a team which does not have an underwhelming player? You won’t be able to. Whilst I completely agree that we expect better from some of our players, you can not exaggerate that problem into your deluded rants about the whole team and the management above.

The skill gap between the top and bottom of the table is minimal, you can’t expect to win every game. We’ve seen ourselves that any team can win any game. If you are going to complain about wasting your money to watch the game because we lost, please never pay to watch or bet on any sports ever again. Regardless if you follow the stigma that Dundee are a bottom team and should be beaten easily, they are still a professional club working within the same salary limits as we are. Don’t belittle the Stars or ridicule the Devils because the score didn’t go your way. Want to return your season ticket? Please do, you won’t be missed. We are third, there are seven clubs and tens of thousands of fans who would love to be in our position. Stop being ungrateful and entitled.

Are you allowed to be angry, upset, disappointed? Of course. Can and should you voice your opinion? Sure. But please put things into perspective before you make personal, attacking comments about the management, players and staff who work their hardest to keep you all happy.

If you plan on replying to this with the hopes of me replying back, please don’t. I won’t be arguing with anybody who has nothing better to do than hate the club they pretend to support.

Happy hockey days!

While I could sit and go through your post and pick apart every bit that you've posted I won't, instead I'll point out something obvious.

This team has a lot of potential.

Do I feel Skalde is the right coach for the team he recruited? No, I personally feel he is good at recruitment but as far as coaching them goes he himself lacks emotion and passion.

The fact he stood and gave an interview last night and said the players were lacking the emotion and passion was an insult to Mac, McNulty, Mcnally, Dixon, Richardson, Louis, Kozun, Waller and a couple others.

Do I want him to scream and shout?

Hell yes do something, anything to spark a reaction to the team he's selected we pay for season tickets to a club that has so much heart and passion from stewards all the way up to the owners they eat sleep and breath what it means to be a Devil.

Do I want him to do it all the time? No but do something because every interview he's done has been absolutely awful to listen to because there is no passion in his voice there is no emotion or heart when he's stood on the bench, Franny is the only guy on the bench in a suit that actually puts everything into the game while Skalde just stands there.

I want Skalde to succeed and show the entire fan base he was the right guy for the job but as it stands right now he is coming up short, and his lack of personality and passion has rubbed off onto what could of been an absolutely amazing team.

Oh and don't bother replying because this isn't an argument from a plastic fan it's just straight observation from someone who has spent this entire season watching the bench every game because I wanted our coach to succeed, instead I'm watching him do his best impression of a lamp post.

Kevlar68

I'll just drop my view on the game from Block 4.
Most boring game i have ever seen at IAW maybe even from my memory since the beginning of time. Half way through the second period i asked my partner if we should go as i was so bored, i've never said that before and she said "we're here so we may as well stay" she didn't say "We may get a goal" or "It may get better" or "it's not that bad a game" so that said it all for me.
We dumped the puck in the corner without any real effort of a chase, there was no real tactics i could see and Morrison was coughing up the puck on almost every shot on target but no one on him to nudge it in and not enough snap shots to make him cough it up, it was like tiki taki football, all passes with no outcome and constant tinkering with lines is not working.
There was just nothing to cheer about apart from the one goal, i hardly got up off my seat and could just about raise a "COME ON!".
Something just isn't right somewhere within the set up.

bb1

I’m sorry but if it was personal abuse I would have listed individual users, but I didn’t. What is personal is the abusive posts that some “fans” have made about certain players and coaches.
I do not agree with any form of abuse or name calling, however as this team is a professional outfit and the guys are paid professionals and IMO there is no issue with fans critiquing their performance and current form.

When you turn professional in any sport and are paid to play in front of crowds and fans then the guys should be prepared for people to question their performances. Professional athletes can' have the fame and fortune (not that these guys are Ovechkin rich) without accepting some form of accountability or questioning when they are under performing.

I'm as frustrated as anybody seeing this after years of success. However, that success has paved the way and set the tone for what we as paying fans expect.

At the moment I enjoy coming to games to see friends and enjoy the banter and not so much for the hockey sadly. Regardless of performance I will still come to games and still renew my ST every year as I have for the last 18 years because of the friendships I have made.

Some fans however travel long distances, have large families they bring and may not have the luxury of being able to come like myself just to spend a night out with their mates. We are all entitled to have an opinion as long as it doesn't cross the threshold of being abusive or a bully.

Devil94

While I could sit and go through your post and pick apart every bit that you've posted I won't, instead I'll point out something obvious.

This team has a lot of potential.

Do I feel Skalde is the right coach for the team he recruited? No, I personally feel he is good at recruitment but as far as coaching them goes he himself lacks emotion and passion.

The fact he stood and gave an interview last night and said the players were lacking the emotion and passion was an insult to Mac, McNulty, Mcnally, Dixon, Richardson, Louis, Kozun, Waller and a couple others.

Do I want him to scream and shout?

Hell yes do something, anything to spark a reaction to the team he's selected we pay for season tickets to a club that has so much heart and passion from stewards all the way up to the owners they eat sleep and breath what it means to be a Devil.

Do I want him to do it all the time? No but do something because every interview he's done has been absolutely awful to listen to because there is no passion in his voice there is no emotion or heart when he's stood on the bench, Franny is the only guy on the bench in a suit that actually puts everything into the game while Skalde just stands there.

I want Skalde to succeed and show the entire fan base he was the right guy for the job but as it stands right now he is coming up short, and his lack of personality and passion has rubbed off onto what could of been an absolutely amazing team.

Oh and don't bother replying because this isn't an argument from a plastic fan it's just straight observation from someone who has spent this entire season watching the bench every game because I wanted our coach to succeed, instead I'm watching him do his best impression of a lamp post.
Unless you are in the locker room, in his office or can read his mind, you have no idea about his "passion". Waving your arms and shouting does not equal passion. Richie is the calmest man on the ice, you'll never see him get visibly angry. Does that mean to you he has no passion to play for the Cardiff Devils? Nonsense.

Also, if Franny takes that arm waving, shouting role that you seem to like, then it makes sense for the other coach on the bench to remain calm and collected, does it not?

Temme

Temme, what are your thoughts on the Devils D?
Actual personal thoughts - I don't like the second pairing as they play the game too similarly.

Mikkelson is taking away from BoC and vice versa, both are rushing D men and the number of 2v1's we give up every game is alarming.

I'd like to see Mikkelson go with Register and BoC go with Richie, but i think they play the wrong sides to each other.

I think Batch is having an 'ok' year compared to normal, however he seems to pick and choose when to play the body a little too much for me & gets slightly softer every year when he's with us. When he does play the body he is incredibly effective.

This criticism of Batch is of this only, and to be honest for the role he has on our 3rd pairing, he's absolutely brilliant.

Louis & Richie, there isn't much to say, you know what you're getting from them each night, very very rarely inconsistent in their play.

BoC won't produce at even 1/3 the rate he did at Sheffield because he's no longer on the 1st powerplay & Sheffield fans were always critical about his 5v5 hockey - which somewhat makes sense.

I've been overly critical here, but all in all i don't think our back end is terrible - i just think our decision making when in the Ozone in particular on when to pinch and when to give it up has been all over the place, costing us far too many 2v1's, and i like to see them experiment with Mikkelson alongside Register for a game :)

They also stated this team and coach was high risk and that they had no choice. I’ve written many many times that what comes out in interviews is rarely facts, I’ve been roasted many many times for that opinion. Yet in every aspect of public life, from sports to politics, it’s all a mix of fact, lies and bulls8t.
They may have had coaches with massive reputations, who would’ve come with equally massive demands on wages etc etc. How thorough is thorough, that’s just meaningless words. Todd recent statement says it all, fans are replaceable and fickle, they stop coming in bad times & return when we win, it’s as basic as that and no businessman will be dictated to by its customers, never, ever. They’ll make it seem like the customer is, again, they never will. A business exists for the benefit of its owners, share holders, investors etc. Simple as that.
I actually wouldn’t disagree with much of what you say in your opening comments.
What I do take issue with is where you say that no businessman will never, ever be dictated to be his customers and a business exists only for the benefit of its owners and shareholders etc etc.

Its my belief that all businesses, to be successful need to listen to the thoughts and needs of its customer base and adapt and embrace change. After all without customers you don’t have a business.
Yes, ultimately a business is there to deliver a profit and dividend for its owners and shareholders etc but there are many examples of very successful businesses that lost touch with their customers needs and ultimately and inevitably failed.
Kodak, Blockbuster and Woolworths to name just three.
On the flip side there are examples of already successful businesses that listened to what their customers demanded and became even more successful.
15 years ago Amazon only sold books and Next was a small player in high street fashion but they listened to what the needs and wants of not only their customers but of the wider needs of the buying public.
In a dynamic world you change or you die!