Devils Vs Stars - League - 12th Dec 21

Gospel

Matthew Myers is sadly missed IMO. Wins crucial face offs, harasses D men & stays in front of the net all night long. Thats an area i feel we're lacking & would give the opposition something else to think about. Why he was never brought back, with Davies probably signed instead, is a mystery.

This is a one dimensional team that needs something/one to light a fire under them & just let them loose.

I fear the second leg being beyond us, but even if we win it'll be papering over the cracks.

Whats G doing right now? Could do with him on the bench getting things going.

I've thought since the start of the season that maybe the playing budget has been cut and a portion been put away as an emergency covid fund (which I suppose is sensible given the way things are) and we will just see out this season with a "hope we do well enough for it not to be a problem", we have a couple of players who seem barely above rec level and if they're on the same kind of money as Linglet, Haddad, Riley, Fournier etc then I really dont know what to say.

The game tonight was dire, I was actually quite impressed with how Dundee came at us, they were hitting everything and seemed to have a belief from the start that they could take us (and did). Have to also say that I was impressed with Rutkiss playing on D for them, thought he did ok, got plenty of ice time and after most shifts Pasha was over to him having a word in his ear coaching him, I thought it was good to see.

I dont know where the devils go from here, coach keeps saying we need more passion, well..........go on then, why arent they doing it, we'll have McNally back wednesday so he might provide 5 minutes entertainment before being kicked out, refs will be all over him for anything he does or he could be completely anonymous like against sheffield, either way we have to win by 3 clear goals and at the moment I just cant see where thats going to come from.

As people have said on here about the games recently, its not the loss so much as its the manner of the loss that people find difficult to stomach

OJLloyd

Just had a quick look at the stats.

We had 69 shots, with 37 of those on target.

Stars had 32 and 16 respectively.

To have lost that game 2-1 is indicative of a weakness we have - we can’t score goals.

Conceding 2 from 16 isn’t a great look either, as it would like equate to about 4 goals against in a game where the opposition gets a fairly ordinary amount of shots on target.

Reid has 16 goals, whilst our next best scorer has 6 (league only totals).

Of his 16, Reid has scored 7 power play goals.

Only 6 of our players have positive +/- stats, and our shot efficiency is pretty horrendous in terms of getting them on target, let alone scoring.

The one bright spot is our goalies, with Mac having a 93.35% save percentage, facing an average of 31 shots per game.

Teams know how to play us (box low, keep them the outside and let them shoot all day) and we have no plan B.

These stats do not make good reading.

We need both primary and secondary scoring. We need better D (though I’m not sure this means better personnel more than better systems/performances).

The lines for Wednesday should be (assuming Dixon and Louis are both still out) -

Waller - Cox - Sandford
DuPont - Crandall - Reid
McNally - Lammon - Davies/Duggan

Mikkelson - Register
Richie - O’Connor
Batch - McNulty

Carruth

And I would suggest there are 5 in that line up that need to be told that they have 2 weeks to prove they deserve their spot here.

kingmo19.1

I think we could have weeded out quite a few of the current team by asking the following question first up during the interview process:-

1. Will you be prepared to break a sweat when playing for the Cardiff Devils. YES OR NO !

As it appears we also hold the world record for the most comprehensive detailed recruitment of a coach in the history of ice hockey, maybe question 1 when undertaking that exercise should have been:-

1. Will you be able to demonstrate some passion and enthusiasm when interviewed and actually get to the root of any problems with your recruitment. YES OR NO!

I’m thinking of putting the team on 2 weeks notice.
Either they demonstrate sustained passion and pride in the jersey or I’m done for the season!
As a season ticket holder I’ve spent enough so I’m not throwing good money after bad on fuel and parking etc
just to get home after the game pissed off and angry at the 'lack of passion'!

PS After some of the performances we’ve endured recently I wanted to see an interview with an 'angry coach' not a bemused one!

Last edited:

The_Stick_

I have never seen so many people spout so much rubbish in my entire life. Reading through this thread, it is clear that the vast majority posters haven’t the slightest amount of hockey knowledge. This fanbase is plastic, filled with toxicity and are entitled beyond belief. We had a sniff of success, and you now throw your toys out of the pram at every single bump.

We are third in the league. If we were at the bottom, then I would completely understand the outrage. But we aren’t. There are clubs that sit dead at the bottom of the league for months, and they still complain less than you bunch of miserable brats.

Of course we want to win. Everyone wants to win. Saying that Skalde or the players don’t care is again a load of rubbish. Just because Skalde doesn’t kick and shout on the bench, does not mean he has no passion. You have no clue what happens behind closed doors, so stop theorising with your deluded, pessimistic minds. I’d rather “Coach Boring” be sensible behind the bench instead of causing a scene, then giving us a bad reputation. Remember how we’d laugh at Thommo having a tantrum? Would you like Steelers fans doing that to us? I didn’t think so. Aggression does not equal passion. A coach can be passionate about his club without shouting and making a angry face. Yes, responsibility falls on Skalde for poor performances, but as previously mentioned, we are third. Asking for a coach to be sacked / doubting their ability when we are third in the league is the most potent example of how entitled you all are.

Skalde’s recruitment has also been superb. Top ECHL scorers in Reid and Register are incredible signings. Crandall is one of the best playmakers the league has seen. Cox and Sanford are a great pair with a huge amount of potential. We have two outstanding netminders and being brave enough to replace club mainstay Myers for Waller is a bold yet brilliant move for the future of our club.

Have they clicked recently? Maybe not. Have some players played poor? Definitely. However, I’d like to see you show me a team which does not have an underwhelming player? You won’t be able to. Whilst I completely agree that we expect better from some of our players, you can not exaggerate that problem into your deluded rants about the whole team and the management above.

The skill gap between the top and bottom of the table is minimal, you can’t expect to win every game. We’ve seen ourselves that any team can win any game. If you are going to complain about wasting your money to watch the game because we lost, please never pay to watch or bet on any sports ever again. Regardless if you follow the stigma that Dundee are a bottom team and should be beaten easily, they are still a professional club working within the same salary limits as we are. Don’t belittle the Stars or ridicule the Devils because the score didn’t go your way. Want to return your season ticket? Please do, you won’t be missed. We are third, there are seven clubs and tens of thousands of fans who would love to be in our position. Stop being ungrateful and entitled.

Are you allowed to be angry, upset, disappointed? Of course. Can and should you voice your opinion? Sure. But please put things into perspective before you make personal, attacking comments about the management, players and staff who work their hardest to keep you all happy.

If you plan on replying to this with the hopes of me replying back, please don’t. I won’t be arguing with anybody who has nothing better to do than hate the club they pretend to support.

Happy hockey days!

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

Matthew Myers is sadly missed IMO. Wins crucial face offs, harasses D men & stays in front of the net all night long. Thats an area i feel we're lacking & would give the opposition something else to think about. Why he was never brought back, with Davies probably signed instead, is a mystery.

This is a one dimensional team that needs something/one to light a fire under them & just let them loose.

I fear the second leg being beyond us, but even if we win it'll be papering over the cracks.

Whats G doing right now? Could do with him on the bench getting things going.
Myers not returning isn't a Mystery, Tod Kelman in the podcast below, 1 hour 30 mins in states that Waller was signed instead of Myers

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5o...i=Rs4BJN1ZTP-pm8M8aZPfFQ&utm_source=copy-link

Devils86

I have never seen so many people spout so much rubbish in my entire life. Reading through this thread, it is clear that the vast majority posters haven’t the slightest amount of hockey knowledge. This fanbase is plastic, filled with toxicity and are entitled beyond belief. We had a sniff of success, and you now throw your toys out of the pram at every single bump.

We are third in the league. If we were at the bottom, then I would completely understand the outrage. But we aren’t. There are clubs that sit dead at the bottom of the league for months, and they still complain less than you bunch of miserable brats.

Of course we want to win. Everyone wants to win. Saying that Skalde or the players don’t care is again a load of rubbish. Just because Skalde doesn’t kick and shout on the bench, does not mean he has no passion. You have no clue what happens behind closed doors, so stop theorising with your deluded, pessimistic minds. I’d rather “Coach Boring” be sensible behind the bench instead of causing a scene, then giving us a bad reputation. Remember how we’d laugh at Thommo having a tantrum? Would you like Steelers fans doing that to us? I didn’t think so. Aggression does not equal passion. A coach can be passionate about his club without shouting and making a angry face. Yes, responsibility falls on Skalde for poor performances, but as previously mentioned, we are third. Asking for a coach to be sacked / doubting their ability when we are third in the league is the most potent example of how entitled you all are.

Skalde’s recruitment has also been superb. Top ECHL scorers in Reid and Register are incredible signings. Crandall is one of the best playmakers the league has seen. Cox and Sanford are a great pair with a huge amount of potential. We have two outstanding netminders and being brave enough to replace club mainstay Myers for Waller is a bold yet brilliant move for the future of our club.

Have they clicked recently? Maybe not. Have some players played poor? Definitely. However, I’d like to see you show me a team which does not have an underwhelming player? You won’t be able to. Whilst I completely agree that we expect better from some of our players, you can not exaggerate that problem into your deluded rants about the whole team and the management above.

The skill gap between the top and bottom of the table is minimal, you can’t expect to win every game. We’ve seen ourselves that any team can win any game. If you are going to complain about wasting your money to watch the game because we lost, please never pay to watch or bet on any sports ever again. Regardless if you follow the stigma that Dundee are a bottom team and should be beaten easily, they are still a professional club working within the same salary limits as we are. Don’t belittle the Stars or ridicule the Devils because the score didn’t go your way. Want to return your season ticket? Please do, you won’t be missed. We are third, there are seven clubs and tens of thousands of fans who would love to be in our position. Stop being ungrateful and entitled.

Are you allowed to be angry, upset, disappointed? Of course. Can and should you voice your opinion? Sure. But please put things into perspective before you make personal, attacking comments about the management, players and staff who work their hardest to keep you all happy.

If you plan on replying to this with the hopes of me replying back, please don’t. I won’t be arguing with any of the plastic, low-lifes who have nothing better to do than hate the club they pretend to support.

Happy hockey days!
Ironic that you plead to stop "personal, attacking comments" and then label people "plastic low-lifes".

If you kept that petty side of things in check you might be able to discuss things like an adult.

The_Stick_

Ironic that you plead to stop "personal, attacking comments" and then label people "plastic low-lifes".

If you kept that petty side of things in check you might be able to discuss things like an adult.
I didn’t label a specific person, numerous people on this forum have specifically targeted the likes of Skalde, DuPont etc. it was a generalisation of the forum as a whole

Devils86

I didn’t label a specific person, numerous people on this forum have specifically targeted the likes of Skalde, DuPont etc. it was a generalisation of the forum as a whole
That makes it OK then...as long as you are calling the forum as a whole low-life's.

As I said, you were making some decent points but you undermined yourself by getting childish.

And as a rebuttal point - telling ST holders that they can take their money elsewhere really isn't an inclusive way of handling valued, repeat customers. Thankfully the organization don't act that way.

The_Stick_

That makes it OK then...as long as you are calling the forum as a whole low-life's.

As I said, you were making some decent points but you undermined yourself by getting childish.

And as a rebuttal point - telling ST holders that they can take their money elsewhere really isn't an inclusive way of handling valued, repeat customers. Thankfully the organization don't act that way.
And that’s obviously why I’m not part of the management team of the Cardiff Devils then isn’t it!

august04 2.0

If you plan on replying to this with the hopes of me replying back, please don’t. I won’t be arguing with any of the plastic, low-lifes who have nothing better to do than hate the club they pretend to support.

Happy hockey days!
Sling your hook pal….you don’t want to be mixing with us “low-lifes”.

august04 2.0

Happy hockey days!
I like Crandall but if you think he’s one of the “best playmakers the league has seen”, then you haven’t watched much EIHL hockey in your lifetime. I wonder where these defensive “New Members” have suddenly sprung from?! Seems a few home truths hurt.

Hedd Wyn John

I think I speak for a lot of fans when I say this:

We don't mind watching the Devils lose, it's not watching them lose its the manner of them losing that's the issue. Dull, boring, repitive one dimensional hockey. Players looking like they are not trying. No fire, no passion. When we see a team try it's hardest & not get the result we respect that.

Has the Devils recent success fostered a culture of entitlement and raised expectations? Yes it probably has but its not just the fans, the organisations expectations have gone up.

When the Devils management talked about Skalde and the new players they talked about a winning culture, they talked about Skalde beating lots of candidates with strong CVs, they talked about a new signing to replace the likes of Joey Martin. The Devils organisation talked up this season. That's not unexpected after all they want to sell tickets, but that raises expectations.

I'm not a businessman & I don't know as much about hockey as most long term fans but I'd have been looking at this season as a rebuilding season but that doesn't sell tickets.

Rempel16

New members who talk this tripe. You talk an absolute boat load of tripe. How about read what I responded to. A point was made about recruitment of players being poor. Those four players aren't poor or do you disagree?
I agree that those 4 are excellent… but it’s the collective recruitment for me. Signing decent individuals is always going to be a fairly easy task.

The challenge in recruitment is getting 20 guys that are going to fit in with your style of play whilst developing chemistry.

Skalde has failed to do this, so for me yes the recruitment has been poor.

Two or three changes might be all it needs though.

Rempel16

Happy hockey days!
Wow… could rip this post to bits but it’s the classic ‘don’t bother replying because I can’t back up what I’m saying’.

For the record… I do not give a shit if we win nothing this year!!!!!!!!!
But expecting the team to show some passion is a bare minimum.

As for the low-life comment, think you should be retracting that sharpish.