This team

E.D.S.

An absolute must is a change in coaching. Most coaches have fixed their problems by the second half of the season. Dupont still hasn't. Powerplay still doesn't work, we still leave holes at the back, still don't get a man in front of the net and amazingly still have 2 lines that have no chemistry at all.

What I really can't understand is how Crandall had 46 assists last season and Reid 31 goals. Yet now they can't work together. Crandall had 23 assists this season and Reid 18 goals. Thats around a 50% drop for both of them. It has to be down to coaching.

Bang on!

I hate talking about Crandall this way but last year he was unplayable and every week this year I kept believing it would be this week he'd find his rhythm but never did. Reid bagged his goals last year by largely being fed one timers. There isn't a great deal else to his game. No real pace, can't track back, can't join a big rush with speed. We are hugely exposed when he's out on the 3 on 3 OT. He needs to offer way more if he's going to stay.
One of my biggest frustrations this year is when we do finally enter the offensive zone, Crandall, Cox, Reid all slam on the breaks just inside the blue line - Tony Hand style - and then look for a killer pass or to build something. So often I've wanted a powerforward to just keep going and drive the net. Waller is the only one who really does this but he's usually muscled out of danger. Coughler has also tried this and does create problems but it isn't consistent enough. What it means is that we've become easy to defend against and predictable - something our Coach should have addressed. I'd love to see us address this in the off season. Size is a must for us next season.

hip check

Bang on!

I hate talking about Crandall this way but last year he was unplayable and every week this year I kept believing it would be this week he'd find his rhythm but never did. Reid bagged his goals last year by largely being fed one timers. There isn't a great deal else to his game. No real pace, can't track back, can't join a big rush with speed. We are hugely exposed when he's out on the 3 on 3 OT. He needs to offer way more if he's going to stay.
One of my biggest frustrations this year is when we do finally enter the offensive zone, Crandall, Cox, Reid all slam on the breaks just inside the blue line - Tony Hand style - and then look for a killer pass or to build something. So often I've wanted a powerforward to just keep going and drive the net. Waller is the only one who really does this but he's usually muscled out of danger. Coughler has also tried this and does create problems but it isn't consistent enough. What it means is that we've become easy to defend against and predictable - something our Coach should have addressed. I'd love to see us address this in the off season. Size is a must for us next season.
Size is a must absolutely also we need to be entertained, bums off seats type players with an unswerving passion to win.

moggy#9

They may have changed their name but the behaviour, obsessions and the ability to completely dominate a thread and get everyones back up is very familiar. I think we all muted him/her last time and that seemed to do the job for a while.

Anyway going back to the original topic, Sanford, Cox, Martin, Waller, Coughler, Richardson, Ben Davies and Brandt must stay. Pietronero maybe. Like Brandt I like his work ethic and physical play but I don't think he will rack up a lot of points,

An absolute must is a change in coaching. Most coaches have fixed their problems by the second half of the season. Dupont still hasn't. Powerplay still doesn't work, we still leave holes at the back, still don't get a man in front of the net and amazingly still have 2 lines that have no chemistry at all.

What I really can't understand is how Crandall had 46 assists last season and Reid 31 goals. Yet now they can't work together. Crandall had 23 assists this season and Reid 18 goals. Thats around a 50% drop for both of them. It has to be down to coaching.
With the Crandall and Reid situation, I agree there may be a coaching element. The more obvious element with Reid though is that he is a one dimensional player. Aside from waiting for a pass for a one timer, he's never appeared to do very much. Last season iirc his goals dried up later on the season as teams figured him out.

hip check

Imo I believe we need to replace Fourier, he wasn't here very long but certainly made a difference to the way we approached the p/p's, he gave us some entertainment value and wound up the opposition, the type of player that most of us like down here, he's never gonna be a match winner type player or score loads of goals but he would stick up for his team mates and show some passion

ASHIPP

Every team needs players who perform different roles. Key to success is balancing those abilities and everyone understanding the role they have to play, and how to interact and support each other. Worked under Lord, been missing more often than not this season.

kettdevil1

Imo I believe we need to replace Fourier, he wasn't here very long but certainly made a difference to the way we approached the p/p's, he gave us some entertainment value and wound up the opposition, the type of player that most of us like down here, he's never gonna be a match winner type player or score loads of goals but he would stick up for his team mates and show some passion
Agree. He also seemed to make those around him better which is always a good sign. As you mention, he will never score loads of goals or win matches but he will allow others to perform that role. Absolutely understand and support the club's decision to release him but we need someone out of a similar mould next season. Loved his connection with the fans as well.

ASHIPP

Agree. He also seemed to make those around him better which is always a good sign. As you mention, he will never score loads of goals or win matches but he will allow others to perform that role. Absolutely understand and support the club's decision to release him but we need someone out of a similar mould next season. Loved his connection with the fans as well.
We have had a few passionate players with characters in our history. With some we have been lucky enough that they have been good players as well as characters (Faryna, Matulik, Lord himself). Definitely need to get back to that. Fans immediately connect and they add another dimension of excitement to games.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #89
We have had a few passionate players with characters in our history. With some we have been lucky enough that they have been good players as well as characters (Faryna, Matulik, Lord himself). Definitely need to get back to that. Fans immediately connect and they add another dimension of excitement to games.
Voth,Hotham, Weller, Darling, Ware,

I wouldn't necessarily say lack of size has been the issue, but our recruitment in roleplayer roles this off season has been poor. We've recruited a big body in Britain (if he was signed as a physical body I'd be seriously questioning his scouting reports) who isn't the slightest physical, and Penny who was signed as a third line grafter from a team where he was a first line centre and I'm assuming filling a completely different role. It seems in a sense that we have just looked at stats and thought "decent points return and size, theyl fit in" rather than having a set way we wanted the team to be made up, and we haven't therefore ended up trying to fit a round hole into a square peg.

What we really have missed and some of aluded to with the Fournier signing is a big net front pressence. Not one player has performed this role either side of his recruitment, which is extremely dissapointing. Layne ulmer for me was the master of this, and it reaped it's rewards with many "dirty" goals... especially on the powerplay. We've also missed a quarter back on the PP, a Hotham or Register who has time on the puck with excellent vision and decision making in the offensive zone. I think recruitment will be crucial and we really need to learn from our mistakes this season. My makeup of the roster would be:

Line 1 :Cox, Martin, Sanford

Line 2: Hadad replacement, puck possession maestro, Coughler / likewise replacement, Salter like power forward

Line 3: Waller, Layne Ulmer esque netfront presence player, pietroniro / gritty speedy winger

Line 4 : Brandt, Davies, Duggan

D1 - Richardson , Hotham / register esque quartback

D2 - Crawford / a more composed version if available, mikkelson esque solid stay at home D

D3 - A similar mould to Lou but younger, speedy transitioning D man

I believe that would be 1 extra import from this year, I would certainly look to run with a spare and cut cloth accordingly, that way players will be held accountable for sub par performances.

hip check

I wouldn't necessarily say lack of size has been the issue, but our recruitment in roleplayer roles this off season has been poor. We've recruited a big body in Britain (if he was signed as a physical body I'd be seriously questioning his scouting reports) who isn't the slightest physical, and Penny who was signed as a third line grafter from a team where he was a first line centre and I'm assuming filling a completely different role. It seems in a sense that we have just looked at stats and thought "decent points return and size, theyl fit in" rather than having a set way we wanted the team to be made up, and we haven't therefore ended up trying to fit a round hole into a square peg.

What we really have missed and some of aluded to with the Fournier signing is a big net front pressence. Not one player has performed this role either side of his recruitment, which is extremely dissapointing. Layne ulmer for me was the master of this, and it reaped it's rewards with many "dirty" goals... especially on the powerplay. We've also missed a quarter back on the PP, a Hotham or Register who has time on the puck with excellent vision and decision making in the offensive zone. I think recruitment will be crucial and we really need to learn from our mistakes this season. My makeup of the roster would be:

Line 1 :Cox, Martin, Sanford

Line 2: Hadad replacement, puck possession maestro, Coughler / likewise replacement, Salter like power forward

Line 3: Waller, Layne Ulmer esque netfront presence player, pietroniro / gritty speedy winger

Line 4 : Brandt, Davies, Duggan

D1 - Richardson , Hotham / register esque quartback

D2 - Crawford / a more composed version if available, mikkelson esque solid stay at home D

D3 - A similar mould to Lou but younger, speedy transitioning D man

I agree with you completely especially the Salters type power forward

I believe that would be 1 extra import from this year, I would certainly look to run with a spare and cut cloth accordingly, that way players will be held accountable for sub par performances.
Well dissected, the make up of that team would certainly make some waves.

lloyd_jeff

I don’t understand why people still believe Dupont isn’t staying. When an owner publicly states next season there will only be a few tweaks then why question it. I’m the pessimist, yet some who chose to believe everything the club says, seem to think the club is holding back.

l guess we will find out in the next few months.

august04 2.0

Or just announce it officially, so that those of us living in hope can finally do away with any thoughts of renewing our season tickets!
It’s easy for Franny to extol DuPont's virtues when put on the spot by Wally, but if we don’t qualify for the play off weekend, it'll be a brave GM that appoints this guy next year.

Last edited:

moggy#9

I live in the hope that this is some sort of face saving strategy. The club says that they're happy and want him back, so that he doesn't get a blemish on his cv. Then, Dupont announces that he's leaving for some personal reason and moving back to North America. Following this, the club appoints someone who has a clue and everyone is happy.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #98
I live in the hope that this is some sort of face saving strategy. The club says that they're happy and want him back, so that he doesn't get a blemish on his cv. Then, Dupont announces that he's leaving for some personal reason and moving back to North America. Following this, the club appoints someone who has a clue and everyone is happy.
With you Mogs, we have 2 huge games coming up no one wants to upset anyone at this stage in the season,

RedDevil17

Franny is hardly going to say "Oh Dupont nah he's going he is" on Wallys podcast is he? I would be very surprised if he's still our head coach next season.
If he is back then you need to question the owners, TK etc’s ambition. Expect more of the same if he and his assistant Horn (let’s not forget about him) return. Dupont OUT!

Last edited: