Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

kettdevil1

I‘d argue that had a lot to do with players in front of Bowns, than Bowns himself. I’m a fan of his, at that time he was a very good British player, top class, no, but he could’ve developed much stronger had he been mentored better, he got zero help from management. Was that choice Bowns or the club, i‘ve heard it was a bit of both sides decision.
What help was needed? He was coached by the Calgary Flames NM coach thanks to the connections of the owners. Short of bringing in Marty Brodeur to give him a pep talk, I am not totally sure what else he needed in terms of mentoring?

Ocko

I‘d argue that had a lot to do with players in front of Bowns, than Bowns himself. I’m a fan of his, at that time he was a very good British player, top class, no, but he could’ve developed much stronger had he been mentored better, he got zero help from management. Was that choice Bowns or the club, i‘ve heard it was a bit of both sides decision.
You’ve heard nothing. You’ve just made that up.

The club employed a goalie coach, the only team in the league to do so at the time. Steve King personally put Bowns up in his own house for weeks at a time before the season started so he could get extra coaching.

Watching you fall over your own lies to try and slur the management is quite funny, Electro. You just look like a fool.

Build from the back, we need a stand out NM To compete, if the club were stupid enough to give bowns this so called 4 year deal, well. god knows what hey thought they were signing. Look at the clubs around us, all had superb import NM.

Finny

But murdy never played, and bowns was much more reliable back then.
Murdy played 11 league games in our first EIHL title season. Bowns was injured for a couple of weeks during the run in so Murdy was starter and Ross Miller/ Joe Myers was backup.

doron

a 4-year deal would be bonkers? he is a good goalie and is doing ok for gb , but when he left cardiff last time he was not the goalie he use to be. and the same when he rejoined this season. for me, not an automatic number one starter. the departure of Carruth was a big disappointment. he was a game-changer and could have been the goalie of the season. WE WILL NEVER KNOW.

Finny

One of the most inaccurate posts I’ve ever read on here.
The club sent Bowns away for several pre-seasons to get coaching from ex-NHLers. They have hired netminder coaches and analysers for him.
Are you trying to make yourself look stupid?

moggy#9

Murdy played 11 league games in our first EIHL title season. Bowns was injured for a couple of weeks during the run in so Murdy was starter and Ross Miller/ Joe Myers was backup.
Ok, so I missed the word "barely" then. Still not a massively equitable split then. Would murdy have got a start of bowns has been fit?

Finny

Ok, so I missed the word "barely" then. Still not a massively equitable split then. Would murdy have got a start of bowns has been fit?
No it’s not a massively equitable split. But what teams have been giving their netminders equal split?

Belfast were at the start, then Besko came in and played pretty much every game for the rest of the season.

But to say Murdy played none is wrong and unfair on him. IIRC when Bowns was injured we had a huge game at home to Sheffield who we were neck and neck with. Murdy played well, we won the game and started to move ahead at the top of the table.

Rempel16

Build from the back, we need a stand out NM To compete, if the club were stupid enough to give bowns this so called 4 year deal, well. god knows what hey thought they were signing. Look at the clubs around us, all had superb import NM.
Did they though?

Giants - Whistle was ok, Jones got canned as soon as Besko came back.
Flames - McAdam was either sensational or pretty poor (sound familiar?)
Steelers - Greenfield was brought in as the #2 and took his chance when the #1 got injured in pre-season. I'd say that Sheffield got lucky there.

Apart from Besko I didn't feel that any team had a superb import NM this season.

RedDevil17

Did they though?

Giants - Whistle was ok, Jones got canned as soon as Besko came back.
Flames - McAdam was either sensational or pretty poor (sound familiar?)
Steelers - Greenfield was brought in as the #2 and took his chance when the #1 got injured in pre-season. I'd say that Sheffield got lucky there.

Apart from Besko I didn't feel that any team had a superb import NM this season.
They were also backed up by forward depth and all had a solid defence in front of them. Who were our main D men who could actually defend this year bar Richie and Lou? Batch, Thompson, Jardine and Crawford all poor defensively.

Belfast had multiple players who could step up when needed. Conway, Goodwin, Lake, Cooper, McLeod, and Owre to name a few - all clutch guys. Who did we have apart from the Cox Martin and Sanford line? That was the only line that really produced.

So did Guildford, if the Tedesco and Tait wasn’t producing, they had guys like Crinella, Ferguson and Marklund who’d step up.

Going back to the goalies, there should’ve been one main starter for me and he was benched for the last few weeks of the season (rather undeserved if you ask me). Sure Bowns came up clutch at times but far too inconsistent. We need a star stud goalie on Carruth’s level next season if Kozun leaves.

AJ73

They were also backed up by forward depth and all had a solid defence in front of them. Who were our main D men who could actually defend this year bar Richie and Lou? Batch, Thompson, Jardine and Crawford all poor defensively.

Belfast had multiple players who could step up when needed. Conway, Goodwin, Lake, Cooper, McLeod, and Owre to name a few - all clutch guys. Who did we have apart from the Cox Martin and Sanford line? That was the only line that really produced.

So did Guildford, if the Tedesco and Tait wasn’t producing, they had guys like Crinella, Ferguson and Marklund who’d step up.

Going back to the goalies, there should’ve been one main starter for me and he was benched for the last few weeks of the season (rather undeserved if you ask me). Sure Bowns came up clutch at times but far too inconsistent. We need a star stud goalie on Carruth’s level next season if Kozun leaves.
I think we were quite unlucky in that Jardine and Coughler were injured for a sustained period at the same time. I think Coughler is/would have been a clutch guy - as seen in overtime in Play-off semi.

I can’t help but think we suppressed Waller this season too, I would have liked to have seen him up the lines more, especially considering the 2nd line didn’t fire.

Finny

I agree with much of what you have said regarding our lack of depth, but am confused with your comment on netminder.

Are you saying you regard Kozun as a star stud goalie? If not why would you only bring in a star stud one if Kozun leaves?

moggy#9

I think we were quite unlucky in that Jardine and Coughler were injured for a sustained period at the same time. I think Coughler is/would have been a clutch guy - as seen in overtime in Play-off semi.

I can’t help but think we suppressed Waller this season too, I would have liked to have seen him up the lines more, especially considering the 2nd line didn’t fire.
I think it was clear that Dupont favoured Reid and Crandall no matter how useless they were. Waller should have been top 6.

august04 2.0

I think it was clear that Dupont favoured Reid and Crandall no matter how useless they were. Waller should have been top 6.
Absolutely baffling to me why he kept playing those two, Reid in particular - especially when he’d play Reid in 3 on 3 OT, which I could never understand given his lack of speed and mobility. It cost us a couple of times too from memory. DuPont must have known he was under pressure and turned to those 2 to save his skin time and time again, when they just weren’t producing the goods. He must regret that.