Devils Vs Steelers - League - 3rd Jan 24 - FO 19:30

moggy#9

Russell should be given the summer to recruit his roster. I hope we are a bit more cutthroat with that recruitment though. Aaron fox was seen as a bit of a joke before this season and now look at Sheffield. Russell definitely deserves a second season for me
There are going to have to be some unpopular cuts this summer.

kingmo19.1

Russell should be given the summer to recruit his roster. I hope we are a bit more cutthroat with that recruitment though. Aaron fox was seen as a bit of a joke before this season and now look at Sheffield. Russell definitely deserves a second season for me
I think Fox gets a bit of bad press - I can’t remember which season it was, but they would have won the title easily had they not lost Vallerand (who was tearing the league up) to a serious injury. They never recovered from that and lost out.

Finny

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit you’ve been beaten by a better team. First time I’ve seen the Steelers this season and to be honest after the first period it was clear the Steelers are a step above everyone else this season.

Crawford’s shot from the point gave us the lead after 30 seconds but the next ten minutes was pretty much spent in our period. Steelers get a PP and although it’s good passing from them we once again have two players going for the same man, giving them time and space to pick their spot for the goal. We try to push them back a bit 5-on-5 but before the end of the period they get another PP. And when one of our forwards loses their guy they play the same move again for a deserved 2-1 lead.

Start of the second it looked like we were going to come out with a bit more fire, but a defensive mistake presents Sheffield with the puck out front and they make it 3-1.
I actually thought we then had our best 10 minutes of the game. Lots of O-zone time, lots of chances and Greenfield made two great saves in particular. But we don’t make our good spell count and two defensive lapses in concentration giftwrap two further goals and it’s suddenly 5-1 and game over. Steelers sit back and coast the final period, knowing that Greenfield will more than likely stop anything they let through.

I thought we looked nervous and low on confidence. Passes that were tape to tape earlier the season were either misplaced or too weak/strong. The effort was there, but not the sharpness.
Sheffield on the other hand looked like a team full of confidence, playing at their peak and barely putting a foot wrong. Even if they do have injuries or a dip in form they’ll be so far ahead of everyone it won’t matter.

I looked through their roster during the period break and pretty much every import has AHL experience and most with at least half a season. And it shows. Smooth skating, good puck control and that little bit extra bit of hockey nous which allows them to slow us down and not play our game without ever being at risk of taking a penalty.

Congratulations Sheffield.

Hedd Wyn John

So, you think that both bowns and wall are both better that carruth? Because that's the point I'm making.
No I think Carruth is better, but we need to face reality. Would he actually come back? Would the organisation take him back?
Even if he came back without big changes elsewhere we wouldn't win anything just by having Carruth, except maybe another playoff title.

The_Stick_

I see some want the revolving door to continue. If we sack PR who do we bring in? Or do we maybe give we a coach more than 1 season to build on?

Hedd Wyn John

How are we still second?

I’ve said several times that the D-core is poorly put together. Wilde not what we’d hoped for, others just unable to defend and/or play out from the back.

I’d maybe keep one for next season. But he wouldn’t still be captain.
Belfast & Guildford just haven't been very good so far & they are breathing down our necks.

Devils86

He’s better than Bowns and Wall but surely it’s no secret that Carruth left because he’s a bit of a marmite character in the dressing room (to put it kindly). I’ve always said I don’t care how good you are, if half the locker room don’t like you then bye bye.
I heard he was coming back but the whole Bowns to Orange thing scuppered matters...

Not that it matters now - Carruth is not going to come back and King will have his own designs on who backs up Bowns for the next couple seasons. Wall and Booth haven't been inspired picks though.

MA18

No I think Carruth is better, but we need to face reality. Would he actually come back? Would the organisation take him back?
Even if he came back without big changes elsewhere we wouldn't win anything just by having Carruth, except maybe another playoff title.
Yes & yes.

Hedd Wyn John

I see some want the revolving door to continue. If we sack PR who do we bring in? Or do we maybe give we a coach more than 1 season to build on?
We need to keep PR. Sheffield trusted in Fox and kept him for a few seasons and now he's delivering.

Our issue isn't the coach. We kept a core that weren't good enough under Skalde & Reid & the players we've added by in large haven't delivered. That's our issue.

Devil94

Appointing our 4th coach in the last 3.5 years sounds like the absolute worst way to go. As is having a complete clear out of players on the summer. Some changes of course, but about half of our roster are new from last summer.
A common criticism of this team is that players don't know what it takes to win the league and play game 7s every night. Well we get a whole new bunch of players to the league on next year and we have the same problem again. Any team that have won the league in the last decade have not done it after a big clear out, it's been built after a number of years.

He’s not coming back ever, 100%. Time to move on.
If you've listened to his recent podcast, it's water under the bridge between himself and the Devils and would move back to the Devils and work with Pete Russell, or the Giants, Panthers or Steelers. Not that he would be in a rush to come back after playing for a team that knows his worth and appreciates it.

He's a winner, born and bred, knows what to do, when to do it and how to win, true professional. Sadly, this current team isn't that. More clingons than star trek!

kingmo19.1

If you've listened to his recent podcast, it's water under the bridge between himself and the Devils and would move back to the Devils and work with Pete Russell, or the Giants, Panthers or Steelers. Not that he would be in a rush to come back after playing for a team that knows his worth and appreciates it.

He's a winner, born and bred, knows what to do, when to do it and how to win, true professional. Sadly, this current team isn't that. More clingons than star trek!
Sadly, Let’s just say that decision wouldn’t lie with Carruth or PR ! It’s not going to happen any decade soon!

MA18

This too an absolute tee.
If you ignore the fact that PR had a day in selection of the team and tactics.
It doesn’t work with this group of players in this league.
He must talk the talk behind closed doors because he looks out of ideas on the bench. I’m not a fan of burning coaches but it won’t be long before the fan base then players switch off - if they haven’t already.

Devils86

Appointing our 4th coach in the last 3.5 years sounds like the absolute worst way to go. As is having a complete clear out of players on the summer. Some changes of course, but about half of our roster are new from last summer.
A common criticism of this team is that players don't know what it takes to win the league and play game 7s every night. Well we get a whole new bunch of players to the league on next year and we have the same problem again. Any team that have won the league in the last decade have not done it after a big clear out, it's been built after a number of years.
As a counter point: there's a chunk of this roster who have been in the league for a while and don't seem to be able to put in "no nights off" hockey. What's the difference in rolling the dice with someone else who might get it? When we know that these guys don't get it.

And pretty sure Giants won everything last season with a new team? I mean from the start of the season not Xmas - didn't they lose loads of quality players and replace them with better?

The_Stick_

If you ignore the fact that PR had a day in selection of the team and tactics.
It doesn’t work with this group of players in this league.
He must talk the talk behind closed doors because he looks out of ideas on the bench. I’m not a fan of burning coaches but it won’t be long before the fan base then players switch off - if they haven’t already.
Then who is out there that the Devils realistically can appoint?

moggy#9

The thing is not necessarily whether they have experience of the league, it's whether they have experience of winning. Honest question: how many of the current devils team have ever won anything outside the devils organisation? I think that's part of it leadership problem.

You're right. We need to retain a core. But it has to be the right core. At the moment though, who the heck is that?