Devils Vs Steelers - League - 3rd Jan 24 - FO 19:30

ASHIPP

You can almost see Mac becoming Giants' next goalie....Beskorowany has not had a fantastic year and might want to play a lesser role if he stays at Giants.

Mac returning here is pipe dreams....he is playing with much better players than ours in a league where they appreciate his value. He is also winning things.

Kevlar68

Wow this thread is a long hard read but mostly valid points.

1/ A revolving coach door isn't going to help, we could have a new coach every season until a trophy is won.

2/ We need to get away from the fan pleasing re-signings and build a team for a few seasons run.

3/ The teams who turned down Conti Cup had reasons for that not because they couldn't be arsed or cause it's a pointless cup.

4/ We need a team and players who are consistent in their performance and only lose because the opposition played us off the ice not cause we were shit.

Lets get back to basic gritty dig deep, leave it all on the ice hockey and put the family style party night gold chain wearing hockey on the back burner. We had players who would go through brick walls to win, this team wouldn't get through a wet paper bag.

I got the web cast rather than go to the game, first time EVER since the 80's I've intentionally not attended a game. Apart from the non-devils style of hockey, the £20 spend at the game a pint (more expensive than some Football Premier league) , parking, 50/50, program, SOB etc), terrible music, "I don't care", when opposition score, "what's going on" when ref makes a bad call (paramount to the 3 blind mice in the WNIR), and general Pop music with lyrics, geez, the fans that sing know the bloody words, no need to subtitle them!!.not allowed to take a bottle of water in the rink since the water fountains have gone, consistently flooded car park we have to walk through and the general match night experience for a fan overall sucks, not an enjoyable evening amymore.

The main thing that has divided me from the club was the Like it or Lump it attitude to the Logo change, dare I say that we HAVE lost our identity in more way than one.

Regarding the PR interview from last night, sounds like he's trying to save his job.

moggy#9

I’m afraid I’ve been reduced to this point but the following need their contracts terminating and replacing in the next few weeks as there is simply nothing to lose by doing it.

Cox, Sanford, Busch, Alderson, Crandall, Rhymsha and Pietroniro. Wilde needs to work out how to play physical hockey and fast also or he can go again.

Martin needs to be relegated onto the third line and Mosey moved back into the forwards with Martin and Waller.

Need a whole new first line and some D men who can actually make physical contact with an opposition forward.

I actually disagree with PR with some of his comments. I thought along with a sheer lack of ability to play physical hockey there were basic fundamental mental lapses across multiple players in multiple areas. They just simply couldn’t play to the required level. That is the most frustrated I have been at a Devils game in a long time as it was just genuinely that bad of an effort. That team lacks hockey intelligence, doesn’t have a detailed approach to the game and simply cannot get close to playing championship winning hockey.

Some tough calls there but unfortunately those players have had plenty of opportunity and have come up short. The one caveat is Chad who I think has given his full commitment but I just don’t think Devils can sustain two import spares. The budget needs to be on the ice. I honestly hoped the players could elevate their game and put things right but it’s not gonna happen.
I feel that you're a bit harsh on Sanford given his goal scoring, though I accept his production is variable - depending who he's in a line with. Last night a saw Sanford pop up with some attempts, but Cox and Martin were anonymous. Given that those two are alternate captains, it tells you everything you need to know about this team.

Busch has had his moments, but I agree about the rest. Among the Brits, batch is disinterested while Waller will skate like the wind, but with no end product. He seems too lightweight.

Could coaching structure or lack of be an issue. PR is clearly knowledgeable but does he have decent on ice support with no assistant? We have the computer stat/NM bloke but is that it?

Love the Carruth chat, he is a born winner and we won't see his likes of standard NM until Bowns hangs up his skates. Don't get me wrong Bowns is doing ok, but there are levels above him.

I got the web cast rather than go to the game, first time EVER since the 80's I've intentionally not attended a game. Apart from the non-devils style of hockey, the £20 spend at the game a pint (more expensive than some Football Premier league) , parking, 50/50, program, SOB etc), terrible music, "I don't care", when opposition score, "what's going on" when ref makes a bad call (paramount to the 3 blind mice in the WNIR), and general Pop music with lyrics, geez, the fans that sing know the bloody words, no need to subtitle them!!.not allowed to take a bottle of water in the rink since the water fountains have gone, consistently flooded car park we have to walk through and the general match night experience for a fan overall sucks, not an enjoyable evening amymore.

The main thing that has divided me from the club was the Like it or Lump it attitude to the Logo change, dare I say that we HAVE lost our identity in more way than one.

Regarding the PR interview from last night, sounds like he's trying to save his job.
Can’t argue with any of this Martyn, and the train wreck of last night has been steaming down the line for a long long time.
Personally, I think the choice of "I don’t care" music when the opposition score is inspired, it sums up perceived attitude of the team perfectly!

The whole logo change mismanagement and total disregard for fan input has left the Club with "nowhere to hide" after the 'pisstake' level of performances and the hollow words of 'the fans will forget all about the logo when the team wins trophies' are coming back to bite them.
Indeed, to coin a Club management phrase 'we have an analogue team in a digital world' and needs TOTALLY dismantling.

Last night at the game myself and the people who sit near me were neither surprised or disappointed with result or indeed the performance as we all knew it was coming well in advance!

As the Club said after the logo debacle, change or die!

nicky27

I think it is time for management to reassure us that they have this as they will be asking us to think about season ticket renewals soon .....

From listening to imports on podcasts it's evident that players coming from North America and a lot of European countries aren't used to the format of the eihl where there is an importance on winning the league and every game means something, they normally base the whole season around peaking furing play offs. If you follow north American leagues you will hear commentators and pundits refer to the dog days of hockey where there is a dip around this time of year and teams/players aim to build it up from March ready for play offs. Looks to me like some of the players are used to cruising in some games like they normally would and not adapted to a format where the points from every game matter. It's evident to see how much more passion brandt plays than some of the others that at other end of career, another player that turns up every game and deserves more credit is ben davies I think he is having a brilliant season.

Finny

Looks like the Steelers could be the 2nd team to the Grand slam.. No one at present can lace their skates..
Not sure if you mean 2nd team in 2 years, but they’ve already done a Grand Slam. As have Cardiff, Durham, Ayr, Coventry, Nottingham, and I might have missed a couple out too. Maybe Dundee Rockets?

ASHIPP

Wow this thread is a long hard read but mostly valid points.

1/ A revolving coach door isn't going to help, we could have a new coach every season until a trophy is won.

2/ We need to get away from the fan pleasing re-signings and build a team for a few seasons run.

3/ The teams who turned down Conti Cup had reasons for that not because they couldn't be arsed or cause it's a pointless cup.

4/ We need a team and players who are consistent in their performance and only lose because the opposition played us off the ice not cause we were shit.

Lets get back to basic gritty dig deep, leave it all on the ice hockey and put the family style party night gold chain wearing hockey on the back burner. We had players who would go through brick walls to win, this team wouldn't get through a wet paper bag.
Some of the best games are often where a team isn't under pressure to conform to a certain style or format...in other words, just allow players to play their natural game(but within EIHL rules of course!). It sometimes seems that some of our players are being restricted and are probably frustrated with that. You never know, they might have some fun, and it could be entertaining!

This might not necessarily lead to winning ways... but barring a complete collapse from the Steelers, the league is out of reach for everyone else. Why not just go out and have fun on the ice. The Coach can use the rest of the season to really assess the abilities and style of his players....it will help him make decisions about preparation and recruitment for next season.

Not in the camp of revolving door coaching. You can see what the disastrous consequences of that can be in any sport. And consecutive coaching styles and systems are not good for the core of players returning every year. Coaches need time to adjust and build a team identity and consistency. No coincidence it's taken our former coach , Lordo, 4 years at Swamp Rabbits to establish success and stability. Aaron Fox, a similar story at Steelers.

Club and fans need to put some faith in the Coach. Incoming coaches often inherit players who can't translate his systems, don't adapt to the league or simply aren't good enough. He also needs to given a fair crack at recruitment going in to subsequent seasons.

Last edited: