Devils Vs Steelers - League - 3rd Jan 24 - FO 19:30

E.D.S.

I can’t argue with that list and I’d add others too. Cox and Sanford might raise some eyebrows but not for me - they are both capable of scoring heavily but too often vanish when the heat Is on. This has to be their last year in Cardiff for me, but I don’t think they’ll go before the end of the year. I was really expecting more from Arniel with his pedigree and I really dislike the way that Crawford plays (ability to actually defend and shithousery). It’s just not for me. Radical change needed but it won’t happen.
Amen to this. Crawford was back to his brilliant best last night… firing pucks knee high to our forwards that just ended in icing and more pressure. Just a complete lack of maturity, patience and full of complacency. His defending is non existent and his shithousery had been found out and doesn’t work. Against the Flames he backed off and backed off until he was almost on top of Bown’s when it was 1v1 that resulted in an easy goal for them. I don’t care for his points production when we are leaking goals at the back.

Mosey was complacent at the back and got caught - most unlike him as between him and Davies for Player of the year so far and Wilde gave up the easiest tip in by not taking the stick of the Steelers forward. Just lazy and complacent. How on earth is Wilde the answer to our problems?

Unpopular opinion…but hats off to Batch last night. He defended well and looked to join the rush when he could but as a collective d last night the amount of times we failed to clear the zone by messing about behind our goal was significant. When you’re playing this incredible Steelers team you can’t afford to gift the goals we did and invite pressure through complacency. Its basics. I don’t buy the “some days you just have to admit you lost to a better team”. That wasn’t the reason we lost. We gifted them goals and had a heartless and spineless performance… again.
“Some days you just have to hold your hands up and say that we aren’t up to it” would be more apt.

Not sold on Russel. I get the argument both ways for staying with him and for him going. He’s been involved in this recruitment. He’s built this style of play. He decided to bring in Wilde. His DNA is all over this team and these performances. He sets the team up. He chooses to stick with the weakest first line we’ve seen in a long time in Cardiff. He’s responsible for the embarrassing powerplay. He’s responsible for the lack of physicality and inability to dominate teams. Why would I want another season of this? I don’t want more of this. Certainly not for another year.

The need to keep Cox and Sanford together is no longer valid. Cox can’t find a pass and has an aversion to shooting whilst putting in minimum effort. He’s stealing a living,
As for Alderson….. it’s a toss up between him and Brittain as the worst import forwards I’ve seen in a Devils jersey. Power forward???!!! You’re having a laugh! Although credit to Alderson I did see him finish a check in the 50th minute when we’re already 5-1 down. His first hit of the game. I assume that was in error as he’d done his best to avoid all contact last night. Just a waste of a roster spot.

I don’t want to wait until the end of the season. It’s time to show some metal and make changes. Whilst clearly we can’t get rid of 10 people. It’s not rocket science to see where the issues lie. River and Chad will clearly be on their way post Conti cup, I’d add one of Cox, Arneil and Alderson to that. That should free up some budget for somebody who can find the net and wants to show a bit of effort, whilst also bringing in an angry stay at home d man who can hold Crawford accountable for his dire performances.

Last edited:

jenks33

Not sure if you mean 2nd team in 2 years, but they’ve already done a Grand Slam. As have Cardiff, Durham, Ayr, Coventry, Nottingham, and I might have missed a couple out too. Maybe Dundee Rockets?
I think you need to check your facts Finny. UK Ice Hockey started in the year 2000 when the Belfast Giants were founded. Apparently UK Ice Hockey didn't exist before that...

Finny

I’m afraid I’ve been reduced to this point but the following need their contracts terminating and replacing in the next few weeks as there is simply nothing to lose by doing it.

Cox, Sanford, Busch, Alderson, Crandall, Rhymsha and Pietroniro. Wilde needs to work out how to play physical hockey and fast also or he can go again.

Martin needs to be relegated onto the third line and Mosey moved back into the forwards with Martin and Waller.

Need a whole new first line and some D men who can actually make physical contact with an opposition forward.

I actually disagree with PR with some of his comments. I thought along with a sheer lack of ability to play physical hockey there were basic fundamental mental lapses across multiple players in multiple areas. They just simply couldn’t play to the required level. That is the most frustrated I have been at a Devils game in a long time as it was just genuinely that bad of an effort. That team lacks hockey intelligence, doesn’t have a detailed approach to the game and simply cannot get close to playing championship winning hockey.

Some tough calls there but unfortunately those players have had plenty of opportunity and have come up short. The one caveat is Chad who I think has given his full commitment but I just don’t think Devils can sustain two import spares. The budget needs to be on the ice. I honestly hoped the players could elevate their game and put things right but it’s not gonna happen.
I get that you’re angry etc, but you realise that’s not possible? Ignoring the fact for a moment that so many quality players are almost certainly not available at this time of the season, the EIHL roster rules don’t allow it.

We currently have 3 import spots available, but Wilde is classed as IRL so with Martin back we either need to switch him to someone else or add him permanently. Which would allow us two additional import signings.
So if we released the 7 imports you suggest and sign two new ones we’d be left with

Ully -Arniel - New
Brandt- Davies - New
Waller - Martin - Mosey
Duggan

Donaghey -Wilde
Richardson- Batch

ASHIPP

Ben Davies is one of the best players we have ...his work ethic and determination should be the gold standard for the rest of the team. He bosses his shifts. He should be part of the leadership group, with a letter on his jersey.
BTW, why scratch Sam Duggan...the guy is an Alternate Captain. Doesn't make sense.

Mooney#16

I feel that you're a bit harsh on Sanford given his goal scoring, though I accept his production is variable - depending who he's in a line with. Last night a saw Sanford pop up with some attempts, but Cox and Martin were anonymous. Given that those two are alternate captains, it tells you everything you need to know about this team.

Busch has had his moments, but I agree about the rest. Among the Brits, batch is disinterested while Waller will skate like the wind, but with no end product. He seems too lightweight.
That was the final straw for me with a number of players last night. They simply couldn’t even skate at a level to get close enough to put any sort of meaningful pressure on the puck and puck carrier. Three times in the first period alone they gained the zone and cut right across the middle without a touch on them. That’s just a travesty. If you can’t keep the guy wide then your D partner had better cut across and do some head hunting. I even lost it with Ritchie at one point as he just gave up on blocking a lane and giving a pick to slow down the fore checker for his partner. The whole thing was just thick and unintelligent hockey. Seriously embarrassing for pro players as it’s very basic stuff.

It’s supposed to be a roster that compensated for having undersized forwards by being rapid and skilful. Last night they were slow, unskillful, unintelligent and undersized. If I thought they were capable of more then by all means I’d call the team out but it’s now evident they simply can’t elevate and play the level. For that reason they have to go unfortunately.

Sanford and Cox are the biggest reason that PP is so crap. Cox’s decision making is poor and continually picks out wrong options and Sanford is a one trick pony who is more dangerous to the glass than the net. Cox needs benching immediately for the simple reason he refuses to take shots even when put on a plate. If you have a guilt edged shot he is obliged to take it for the team not go for a million dollar assist and promptly turn the puck over. They can only attack on the rush and cannot recycle the puck and sustain pressure. I’m done with the pair of them. Joey as well has had his day as a first line centre. It’s the third line and a discounted salary or you going as well. It’s the unfortunate reality for the first line centre that points return is winning you nothing and he has to take accountability for that.

I could roast the lot of them. I said at the start of the game every player needed to do something positive every shift. The only player who came close to that was Brandt.

Earnie

Ok we feel a bit pissed off at the moment and I am sure some words written on here are at the heat of the moment. (Including mine) We are still in second place although In danger of loosing that spot! There is a lot of skill out there but we lack the aggression and passion and we are a team feeling.
Changing the Coach is not the answer. It is step up time , give it your all time,
Do it now- or you will not be here next season time!

Wannabe2

I feel much better this morning, as I have come to terms with the fact that feeling down and disappointment is actually down to me. It was my bad that I thought this side was far better than it actually is, it was my fault that my expectations were way off the chart, think it’s called human error, so now I realise my idiotic mistake and that it’s all my fault I feel a lot better. At least now I won’t make that mistake again, and I can watch Saturdays and Sundays game totally relaxed and just enjoy the game of hockey, and not give a toss about the result. I think the penny actually dropped at the Guildford home game, when I found myself concentrating on watching the Flames play, and what a buzz it was to see a TEAM that cares and who can really play, it was worth the entry money to watch them. Yesterday it was again a joy to watch a TEAM that to call very good was actually spot on, Steeler fans sure do get their moneys worth and good for them. Wow I now feel so much better and feel a huge weight have been taken off my shoulders, I will still listen to all my mates moaning and groaning about our side, because their my mates and I now don’t have to give a shit as I have learnt from my mistake. So come on this weekend I can watch this wonderful sport, get my fix chill out and not give a toss.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

moggy#9

From listening to imports on podcasts it's evident that players coming from North America and a lot of European countries aren't used to the format of the eihl where there is an importance on winning the league and every game means something, they normally base the whole season around peaking furing play offs. If you follow north American leagues you will hear commentators and pundits refer to the dog days of hockey where there is a dip around this time of year and teams/players aim to build it up from March ready for play offs. Looks to me like some of the players are used to cruising in some games like they normally would and not adapted to a format where the points from every game matter. It's evident to see how much more passion brandt plays than some of the others that at other end of career, another player that turns up every game and deserves more credit is ben davies I think he is having a brilliant season.
It's evident that when players are told about the "no nights off" mentality of the elite league, it a sort of "yeah, whatever - whatever it takes to get the contract" mindset. They certainly don't understand what the implications are.

moggy#9

I get that you’re angry etc, but you realise that’s not possible? Ignoring the fact for a moment that so many quality players are almost certainly not available at this time of the season, the EIHL roster rules don’t allow it.

We currently have 3 import spots available, but Wilde is classed as IRL so with Martin back we either need to switch him to someone else or add him permanently. Which would allow us two additional import signings.
So if we released the 7 imports you suggest and sign two new ones we’d be left with

Ully -Arniel - New
Brandt- Davies - New
Waller - Martin - Mosey
Duggan

Donaghey -Wilde
Richardson- Batch
Those rules didn't seem to stop Belfast last year doing what the hell they liked.

Mooney#16

Ully -Arniel - New
Brandt- Davies - New
Waller - Martin - Mosey
Duggan

Donaghey -Wilde
Richardson- Batch
Granted I’m angry but you’ve missed Barrow and Crawford from your lists. I’ll quite gladly take at this stage

Waller - New - New
Ully - Arneil - Barrow
Mosey - Martin - Brandt
Duggan - Davies

Crawford - Ritchie
Wilde - New
Batch - Donaghy

You’ve earned Chad a reprieve and he can go on the IR to keep Wilde.

E.D.S.

It's evident that when players are told about the "no nights off" mentality of the elite league, it a sort of "yeah, whatever - whatever it takes to get the contract" mindset. They certainly don't understand what the implications are.
There will naturally be an upturn in performance and attitude at the end of the month and in to Feb as that’s when next seasons contracts start being discussed.

E.D.S.

The tough thing to see was Block 13 sat down. These guys are bonkers and give so much but clearly they’d had enough. I’ve seen these guys singing in the CHL when we’re getting tanked but not seen them look so dejected as I did last night.

Wannabe2

The tough thing to see was Block 13 sat down. These guys are bonkers and give so much but clearly they’d had enough. I’ve seen these guys singing in the CHL when we’re getting tanked but not seen them look so dejected as I did last night.
Ever tried singing and cheering in a Dentists Chair.

Mooney#16

Intresting no replies from the owners for a while , not even a happy new year to their wonderful fans.
In fairness they put videos out on social media etc. I’ve said elsewhere I don’t think discontent needs to run rampant into all areas of the club. Many things have improved this season and no doubting that the owners and TK have given the budget and resource to compete. I’ve called a couple things out previous but in this particular case I think the gaze should be firmly set on the players rather than wide spread negativity. The issue is very much on the ice.

Just listening to the PR interview, finally some passion from someone wearing the so called badge.
He keeps mentioning Tired. I am just wondering do we have a qualified sports and nutrition person on board? Probably more valuable than the computer stat guy? When we were at our strongest we definitely had one, This area is so important and at this level.

In fairness they put videos out on social media etc. I’ve said elsewhere I don’t think discontent needs to run rampant into all areas of the club. Many things have improved this season and no doubting that the owners and TK have given the budget and resource to compete. I’ve called a couple things out previous but in this particular case I think the gaze should be firmly set on the players rather than wide spread negativity. The issue is very much on the ice.
I think it from the comment that Steve put in a thread before when we won well however nothing is said when we get beaten bad